G20 Vulcan-H - Mag Size or Reload Speed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Allisrem, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Allisrem

Playing with the Harasser Vulcan, what do you prefer? Mag Size or Reload Speed? And why?
  2. FLHuk

Mag size, cuz a lightning shouldn't be able to tank the whole clip on the nose. That would be OP!
  3. GhostAvatar

Mag size gives you more DPS. Plus you always need those last few shot to kill.
    • Up x 1
  4. Borsty

Magsize, you are a hit-and-run vehicle.
  5. Disconsented

Reload speed, 6-8 rounds is nothing
  6. cyb_

I was wondering the same myself yesterday, having 0 certs put into a harasser yet. After a few tests I concluded, reload speed would be the thing to cert into. 8 out of 90 bullets is nothing, most of the time you will probably reload _before_ the gun is empty. When testing in VR on a vanguard reload speed would destroy it slighty faster, since you will have to reload at least once.
  7. Vanir

The 1/2 a second faster reload is better than the whopping 8 extra rounds in a 90 mag size.
  8. lothbrook

Mag size, with the time it takes to unload the mag and reload if your target isn't dead you need to be gone or you will be dead, so get as much damage as you can out of each mag.
  9. Maliese

Mag size was better when it had a 60 round magazine. Now with 90 in the magazine, the faster reload is the better choice.
  10. ChampagneDragon

What do I prefer? A nerf. Yep I said it.

Signed,
    A vanguard driver.
    • Up x 1
  11. KirthGersen

Mag size, you have to move away from danger while reloading and then engage again.
    P.S. Aurax this damn thing while it's soooo good:p
    And focus on Magriders please.
  12. HAXTIME

Haha, that sarcasm.
  13. HAXTIME

When I first read the title, I thought it was gently asking for opinions on nerf. I think moving the Harasser, and ONLY the Harasser version back to 60 or heck, even 70, would make a huge difference.
  14. FLHuk

To be fair though as a near perma lightning/vanny/mag pilot. The clip size is the thing I worry about most while trying to land the follow up shots and profile my nose on the incoming DPS.
  15. bl33ping

isn't the max reload speed reduction for the vulcan 0.375 seconds or something less than 0.5? maybe i'm thinking of something else.
    • Up x 2
  16. Mooveoverbrt

I'd go mag size, them extra bullets always comes in handy! Moar bullets moar certs!
  17. Stigma

I think the consensus for nearly all weapons, at least vehicle ones, is that mag size beats out reload speed.

The thing is that both of them increase your DPS over time (including reloads), but magsize also significantly increases your in-mag burst damage, and that is usually in practice more important to begin with. There is nearly always "downtime" in which you can fairly safely reload (especially for vehicles) and you wouldn't be able to fire anyway, but having a few more rounds to throw at a nearly-dead enemy is always nice to have (and can't really be compensated for in the same way). To put it bluntly, when you need to shoot you typically need ammo NOW, not "less delayed" - and that's why mag-size is generally more useful. Perhaps if weapon reload times in this game were many times longer than they are then this wouldn't be the case, but even on the slowest weapons a new full magazine is just a few seconds away at most.

It's hard to go wrong with mag-size for any weapon I think - and faster reloads I think only start to make real sense when you consider the few weapons that have huge magazine sizes to start off with and are frequently used for continuous-fire, like perhaps the kobolt on a battle-sunderer. Even then I'm not so sure...

I kind of wish that there were more (and viable) alternatives for this weapon-slot. Having multiple choices when only 1 of them is best most if not all the time kind of defeats the purpose of weapon-customization.

-Stigma
  18. cyb_

I just threw some math at this question:

With 800 rpm you shoot a round every 0.075 s.
    Max. reload speed (-0.375 s) decreases the time to reload the weapon from 2.5 s to 2.125 s.
    Max. magazine size adds 8 more rounds, so you get 98 instead 90 per mag.

90 rounds can be shot in 90*0.075 s = 6.75 s
    98 rounds can be shot in 98*0.075 s = 7.35 s

Shooting all bullets and one reload cycle takes:

standard: 6.75 s + 2.5 s = 9.25 s
    reload speed: 6.75 s + 2.125 s = 8.875 s
    mag size: 7.35 s + 2.5 s = 9.85 s

Damage (x) done per time unit:

standard: 90x / 9.25 = 9.73x
    reload speed: 90x / 8.875 = 10.14x
    mag size: 98x / 9.85 = 9.95x

So, if you need to reload at least once, certing into reload speed seems to be best. The new question one has to ask now is: Is it worth spending 2000+ certs for it.
    • Up x 2