Seems about right

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by day ofm one, Feb 1, 2015.

1. day ofm one

Do you know that kind of people who instantly turn around to you and blast your face away after they took a bullet into their back?

It is not a ping related issue, but it usually seems to be new people to the game.

I am getting rather suspicious about these people who turn around and shoot you before you can even blink.
  2. reydelchicken

Actually, this could be a ping related issue, but not on your end.

If they have really bad ping (lots of new players use wifi), then they might be getting upwards of 1000 ping, so they shoot you on their screen, and by the time the game catches up, you're instantly dead...

It has happened a few times to me ingame before... quite annoying but there's not much you can do about it.
  3. Lord_Avatar

Considering you had only a sliver of health left this isn't really surprising... Also, could be ping, could be a good run and keen reflexes.
    • Up x 1
  4. Zeppelin123

I watched it like ten times. It looks so cool how he smoked you. You also shouldnt have engaged anyway with that health.
  5. FateJH

Sorry, don't mind me, I'm not used to matching up a spinning minimap.

All the same, you never spotted the guy on camera (that we could see). Are you certain the person who killed you is the person you were looking at?
  6. Zeppelin123

I also somehow thought someone else killed him but couldnt nail it.
  7. Rogueghost

You would had won if you had waited for your shields to recharge.
  8. Tommyp2006

Considering how many times I've done it to people, simply because they have terrible aim, it's not too difficult. You also had so little health in that clip that you would have died after a single shot anyways.
  9. Iridar51

It certainly is a ping related issue. I wonder if this is what people have been describing as "I dump a mag in someone's back, then he turns around and kills me". Never happened to me. Not sure what could be the issue here, likely either an ISP's fault or networking software or hardware on your end.
  10. Modern Ancestor

Sometimes sticky brown substance happens.
  11. Jawarisin

Nope, there's actually hit registration issues sometime. I believe Mustarde or Elusive has a few videos where they spotlight it. You can clearly see the bullets go through them and do nothing, not hit markers no nothing.
  12. Iridar51

Ah, yes, now I remember. I have a recorded a moment, which undeniably looks like a hit detection bug, and can't be explained by lag, at least not without knowing the full picture.

I get under fire, take some damage, then react and dodge, stop taking damage, turn around, fire an underbarrel shotgun point blank. I see hit markers, but target doesn't die. Then I start taking damage again and die, and on the killboard I see that target has damaged shields, meaning that it did took some damage from the shot. So only the damage from 1 or 2 pellets got registered.

I really wish I got to see the same moment from the point of view of the player that killed me. It would probably explain a lot.
  13. Iridar51

I have recorded more moments, some of them look totally like hit detection bugs, but on the closer inspection turned out to not be so.

For example, here you see me "dump a mag in player's back, than have him turn around and kill me, and he wasn't even damaged on the killboard". Well if you look at the player's model on the killboard, you'll see that I got killed by a totally different HA. I also watched the video frame by frame, and I had a lot of missed shots, and I was 1 or 2 rounds short on killing the HA I was shooting at.

And on this video you see me dumping half a full auto shotgun's mag into an enemy, yet he survived and killed me. Well, in slo-mo you can see that I pretty much missed all of my shots against that target due to how Cone of Fire works - I started firing before I landed, so it had maximum size the entire time, making the gun very inaccurate.

At the time of recording I was 100% sure it was the buggy game giving me the middle finger. So I think that 95% hit detection complaints really happen from people who don't know how weapons work, or aren't attentive enough to understand what really happened.
    • Up x 2
  14. Haquim

Well maybe I need to get my eyes checked, but those look both like hits not registering to me.

In video 1 I count 6 or 7 hits and can't see an overshield. And even if he activated it that should be enough to drop it and damage the personal shield.

In video 2 I see your last shotgun blast, the whole of it, hit the guys left leg (right side from viewer), but he has taken zero damage.
  15. Iridar51

Like I said, I watched the video frame by frame and saw that I needed one more bullet to kill the HA I was shooting at. Mercenary requires 8 hits to kill a full nanoweave target, I scored only 6 or 7, like you said.

And apparently you do need your eyes checked - not an insult, using your words here. The reason deathscreen didn't show any damage on the player that killed me is that I got killed by a totally different HA, wearing different camo, and I wrote it in the same post where I linked the video.

It is a bit edgy, but that can be explained by internet delay and clientside hit detection. When somebody shoots at me, my client receives that information 200-300 m/s later. That's why sometimes people die after running behind cover.

So the sequence of events looks like this:
    1. I fire at the enemy engineer, missing all of my shots.
    2. Enemy engineer fires and kills me on his screen.
    3. On my screen, finally one of my shots connects. I see hit markers and see his shields flicker.
    4. My client finally receives information that I am dead. I die, and because the timestamp of me dealing damage to the engineer is dated AFTER my death, server disregards it as though it didn't happen.

That's why engineer showed no damage. There is no hit detection bug here, everything is working as intended. It may not be ideal, but it's the best we can hope for. It's not a bad system, but the delay for the information to get where it's needed is usually higher than it should be, and that is a problem.
  16. Matt879

This could just be me, but he was already looking at you before he started shooting (at least his head was turned in your direction). His body just didn't follow until he actually fired his gun.
  17. Liewec123

with the servers are the way they've been the past few days i wouldn't be suprised by anything any more...

i've slid along the floor, bumping in to the wall and dying,
    i've spawned half in the floor,
    i've shot a whole shotgun clip in to someones head and they've turned and killed me,
    i've had AV nades bounce off vehicles and maxes,
    i've had AV nades actually stick but then do no damage or hit detection,
    i've been killed by completely invisible people,
    my sunderer has randomly exploded,
    people have been walking through the sky,
    vehicles have been teleporting,
    people walking through the floor.

until $oE get off their ***** and fix their servers you can expect to see a lot more junk that you shouldn't be seeing.