What was The Old Crown?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by patrykK1028, Jan 31, 2015.

1. P3STILENCE1973

HOURS! On Connery errrrr Helios. It would last for days, even weeks!! After a while I learned to despise The Crown, but you know what......I kinda miss it......Well. maybe not. But it was fun.
    • Up x 1
  2. Rogueghost

Was that on Connery?

I remember, about 2 years ago, TR Connery held Indar for weeks and one day NC and VS tried working together in order to take it from us and that screenshot represents the end result- and the most fun I've ever had in this game.

The TR were left with two bases, Indar waste treatment and The Crown, I was at Waste Treatment fending off waves of vanu while NC camped our warpgate and orders chat was filled with people begging the TR to leave the Crown and help push out. TR command eventually got what they wanted and the Crown fell, but it did us little good, the reinforcements we got were barely enough to hold Waste Treatment, pushing out was all but impossible.

The lag was unbearable as almost all of the Vanu and TR on the server fought for one hex, with platoons of NC on the other end of our warpgate, and yell chat consisted of trash talking from the VS and TR proud that we've managed to hold this one insignificant base for so long. The fighting went on for a few hours and ended when some VS started ghost capping NC bases, which caused the NC to turn on the VS allowing the TR to break free and keep indar.

We lost Indar less than a week later after the devs swapped warpgate locations for the first time.
  3. Turiel =RL=

The old Crown was an uphill struggle in the purest form.
  4. Sh4n4yn4y

True beauty. That is what the Old Crown was. The true glorious guardian of Indar. A monolith, rising above the battles raging below, silently judging the fools trying to scale that mountain of fire, and finding them unworthy.

The best base one could ever want. :')
    • Up x 1
  5. Akashar

I'm so proud of this thread, most of the posts here represent my deep feelings. When I'm down I come here and read all the nostalgia about what was lost, and should have been kept.
    • Up x 4
  6. LordTankT9

It was game of itself, who controlled the Crown - controlled the Auraxis. And we TR was best at it, keeping it for weeks.

People who say it was a Bad Base Design - should be slapped. Crown was the only fortress design as it should - hard to get, yet required a lot of resources to protect, because there where no limits of amount of forces that could be dropped at you. Literally two other factions could pour in on Crown. This is why it was Fun, this is why it was popular.

Not like those garbage bio-station with obscured landing pads and tiny spawn rooms. It was made for regular tiny battles for tiny shooters with a tiny penises. Most people just stand in line to get killed. Meanwhile Crown was all world united rumble.

At this point, I would remove all of the game and left only the good old Crown with a little area around it. The only part of this game that feels like an actual full scale war.
    • Up x 1
  7. Finnboy11

I logged in just to write to this thread. The old Crown and the pitch black Indar night are the two things I so badly miss. They really made this game unique and even though both of them broke the game a bit that made it even funnier. And combine those two things... That was chaos at its best! Seeing the massed fire from the Crown convert the dark night into a colorful display of fireworks.
    • Up x 1
  8. TKBoom

The old Crown was epic. I loved going there and it seemed to be almost more run attacking then defending. It was the only place in the game where capturing it actually meant something. You really felt like you had accomplished something special because it was that just that hard to capture. I miss the old Crown.

It was actually the only place that lived up to the "huge battles that can last for hours or even days" that this game used to tout.
    • Up x 6
  9. Finnboy11

A bit out of topic but wow, so many people answering to this thread have a character created Nov 20-22 2012. :D
    • Up x 1
  10. Akashar

You need to have been there to be able to talk about it ;)
  11. ZBrannigan

agreed, one of the few places it felt like a 'war', vanu archives had a similar feel at times.
  12. Mooveoverbrt

I always enjoyed the old crown fights, such a glorious battle and the certs! THE CERTS LET ME TELL YOU! <3
  13. Matt879

The majority of the people that I know does in fact not like sitting on a capture point for 4/7 minutes without any action whatsoever, perhaps a select few enjoy it simply because they're helping their faction without too much effort, but I think that's a very small minority.
  14. DxAdder

The Old Crown was fun but "Arm Chair Generals" of this game got it removed.
  15. Joexer

The Old Crown was the first battle I fought in and subsequently why I played PS2.
    • Up x 1
  16. GhostAvatar

Funny thing is, you don't see these guys in this thread saying about how bad it was. It seems the majority that stayed with the game actually loved the old Crown. SOE should have developed the game for the hardcore players. Instead of appeasing these arm chair generals that all left anyways.
  17. Jawarisin

Ghost capping was when you went to turn the points, and just left afterwards to let it cap by itself, effectively "ghost capping" if nobody bothered to go stop it.
  18. Bindlestiff

The old Crown was a hateful waste of players, resources, time, effort and development time. The rest of the continent was on its knees but people insisted on fighting here. It was Crownside 2 for months and months and months and it was ridiculous.

I would have preferred a meteor incident come and wipe the old Crown from the face of the map, but devs just buggered around with it instead. Then everyone who enjoyed pissing into the wind at the old Crown grew sad and life for them was never the same again. Everyone who hated the Crown rejoiced at having people actually come with them to other bases, and people even left Indar to go to a different continent.

Who knew.
  19. user68

I loved the old Crown.

It was the only base in the game that couldn't be zerged. You could hold the old Crown while being outnumbered 10 to 1, with all supply links cut off. It was the place where teamwork really shined, because people actually cared about holding the Crown. Crown defenders cared about their tanks, because more often than not there was no way to get a replacement. If you managed to smuggle a tank to the Crown through the blockade, you could easily rake enormous killstreak with it and pass it to the next guy when you go offline.

If you wanted to take the old Crown, setting yellow waypoint wasn't enough.
    You had to have a plan. You needed preparations. You had to gather intel first. You needed several tactical teams of good players working on achieving specific goals in set order, like destroying the sunderer in the tower, securing first floor, pulling your own sunderer, suppressing certain defense points to clear the route for your zerg.
    If everything went according to plan, only than you had the chance to capture the Crown.

Taking the Crown from opposing faction was the most rewarding achievement. People talked about it for days.
    I wasn't a Crown regular, but the only moments I can recall from those days are either from capturing or defending the Crown.

I haven't stepped my foot on the Crown's land since the day SOE killed it.
    I want to remember the Crown the way it was in it's glory days.
    • Up x 3
  20. Trudriban

At the time, I hated the **** out of it. I got bombed leaving the spawn room defending it, I got bombed in the hills attacking it, I got shot out of my ESF just for flying near it. After all this time though, if they were to bring it back, or another base extremely similar, I'd be reinstalling PS2 right god damn now, and if it were truly as endless a battle as the old days, I'd blow all of my leftover Christmas money as a thank you to the devs
    • Up x 2