Spitfire turrets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ballto21, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Reclaimer77

Yeah I seriously cannot believe they released them without them having a minimum deploy distance from each other. Honestly SOE come on. You didn't think people would stack the damn things everywhere?
  2. Smoovious

I don't see the point of minimum deploy distances in the first place. Not even for deployed Sunderers...

I can sorta see the point of being unable to deploy too close to some of the larger bases, as if simulating the base using some kind of dampening field that interferes with the ability for enemies to transport directly in, but only if there would be some kind of generator on the base that could be taken out, and the area of effect is spherical instead of conical... so, say, you can't get in close at ground level, but if there is an underground entrance, you'd be able to get in closer to the center.

-- Smoov
  3. Ballto21

I do think the stats are fine as is, but i do agree that increasing their AP to current AI/AV turrets could work nicely and that redeploy timer starting after they blow up so you dont have to go to a terminal sounds like a good idea. Because seriously the easy thought process is (for infiltrators at least)
    >Spitfire
    >Engy nearby
    >Decloak kill engy
    >Circle strafe turret
    >Laugh and hack the terminal for an aircraft
    >L-PPA spam until you need to eject
  4. Ballto21

I dont think they should rack up a ****ton of kills but i dont think they should be as it is now, where its only useful 2% of the time. I think it should need squad support to be worthwhile, but i dont think i should be able to only take maybe 1/4-1/2 my shields by giving it a hug
  5. Thardus

Spitfires are first and foremost, a warning system. Even the worst of players should be able to easily handle them one on one.
  6. Taemien

The only issue I have with spitfires is the fact that I have to go to a terminal to get another one. But this is mitigated by the fact that I have to go to the Terminal anyway to restock on mines.

I run Spitefire with Bouncing Bettys. And let me tell you.. you rack up kills quickly with this combo. When someone rounds a corner and hear the beep, they look up and forward, not down.

They step on a mine.

So they come back, knowing there is mines.
    They round a corner, hear a beep and a ***** of damage, they look up.

Then they step on a mine.

They come back with EMP grenades and walk up to the room to throw it in. But before they get close enough to chuck it in...

They step on a mine (yeah I place them outside too).

Those spitfire beeps really distract the heck out of people trying to take a point. Its freaking hilarious. I used to hate auto turrets in games. I hated them in Tribes 2, I hated them in Goldeneye 64, I hated them in Battlefield 2142, I hated them in every iteration of MechWarrior (cept Online.. theirs isn't too bad), and.. well I thought I was going to hate them here.

But their stats are just right. They take a clip to take out. They don't do alot of damage, but enough that you can't ignore them. I like that I can take them out easily if the enemy didn't place them right. I love what they do to my enemy when I place them properly. They warn me if someone's close, they annoy them when they get close. They distract, they cause mayhem in proper quantities without killing on their own (normally).

Its perfect for the slot it takes when I just can't be tied to a spot with a manned turret. I don't think it needs a nerf, or a buff. I just think it needs to 'respawn' to be placed again when it is destroyed. Maybe after like.. 30 seconds and can be certed down to 15 seconds. And that's all I'd change about it.

Making it stronger in HP or damage will annoy the crap out of me when facing it. Making it any weaker will make it not worth the slot it is in. Its fine.. just change the ability to deploy it again after destruction and we're good.
    • Up x 2
  7. Goretzu

The problem is it probably isn't as deadly as the PS1 spitfire (which comes from a lower DPS game to start with), but that was much smaller and much easier to place and hide.
    Where as the PS2 one is massive and very difficult to hide (and not that easy to place comparatively either - doesn't like walls or any remotely not flat ground).

Personally I'd say the DPS it does might be ok, but its surviability is far too low for its size, especially against small arms, and with the fire delay it has and the problems it has with target tracking (the PS1 Spitfire wasn't "burst fire" and tracked targets much, much better).
  8. DerUnf4ssbare

Early warning system? Support system? Not intended as a weapon to make kills?

Do you have any idea what a single Spitfire would do to you in PS1 if you blindly ran into it?
    Back then it was an automated defense system INTENDED to shoot people dead while you were somewhere else,
    and not some super expensive noisy decoy.
    And still, you could outsmart them if you knew how to do it.

So many new PS2 players seem to be super soft whiners about everthing that kills them and requires some effort to fight it.
    If something kills me, of course I get annoyed, but then I try to find a way to outsmart it and the guys who use it, instead of blaming the system and the devs and the OP-ness and whatnot.

The Spitfre as it is, is a useless pile of junk.
    If you want it to be like this, stop selling it for rediculous 1000 certs, thats simply a rip-off.
    Besides it looks terrible, like a design accident.

Since we ALL can use it under the same conditions make it more durable and dangerous so it can rip a single HA to shreds if he gets funny ideas. You should need a group of at least two players to take it down. A no-deploy zone like on Sunderers would prevent people to build them all over the place (like three in that double door room, or on the big stairs). PS1 solved it pretty well, and as with many things in PS2, I really do wonder if the devs EVER even thought about using what has been tested and balanced for years before, in their new game, instead of re-inventing it and failing miserably time after time. Harrassers were good in PS1. PPA was good in PS1. Spitfires were good in PS1.
    But no. Lets start over again and see if we can make it better than four years of balancing in PS1.

PS2 is a team game, and as such it should not cater to solo players by making everything so bad you can figth it on your own.
  9. nehylen

This. So much this (back to terminal+mine combo). On the first page someone said that you didn't have to place them well...it's so wrong to think that way. And no they don't always steal kills, far from it. And they can allow you to setup so many of them where they won't get the kill.
    I trust the turret way more than some ally passing by.

Also about them being easy to kill, that's circumstancial. There's a video thread by Iridar51 where it shows how much of a pain it is to deal with his loadout (slug PA shotgun). Sure if you have 40~200 rounds in your mag, there's not much of an issue, but depending on the gun, it could soak in enough to penalize you when dealing with an other threat just after.

Just give me a certable line for it like the Infiltrator's motion spotter, so as not to go back to a terminal too much, and i'm a happy engineer.
  10. Regpuppy

For the minimum deploy distance between sunderers, that's mostly because things would just break when you had 8+ sundies deployed right next to each other. Sundy spawning would just randomly stop working for that hex. I can easily think of similarly annoying/buggy problems happening with spitfires blocking entire chokepoints for friendlies without a minimum deploy zone on these things.

As for the no-deploy zone on most bases. I won't agree with how it's placed on all bases, but on some it was needed because of how a base was designed. There were times where you could get sundies to absurd places and just deploy them. Add to this how powerful bulldogs use to be and it was pretty crazy to deal with 3-4 sitting on the point of a tech plant with one deployed. That being said, most of the no-deploy zones go too far.
  11. Crayv

I'd just like for the things to act more like a mine and stay even if you switch classes.
  12. Metalsheep

A Single spitfire turret in PS1 was only threatening to an Infiltrator, who had 0 armor. Otherwise, they werent super threatening or dangerous. They only did Armor Damage, so if you were in Agile or Rexo, it would have to eat through your armor before it did damage to your HP. It did this with decent speed, but not fast enough to kill reliably. Still, they were tough and you had to stop and think before engaging one.

They really resiliant to small arms, but were quickly destroyed by AV and every soldier could carry Jammer Grenades to stun them at the least.

What made Spits valuable and dangerous was that Engineers could place 10 of them at once, 15 if you had Fortification Engineering. So you could then create overlapping Killzones with 2-3 turrets covering the same area. They also worked in conjunction with Motion Sensors/Interlink Facilities to fire on cloaked, non-sensor shieIded infiltrators.

They also fired on nearby, nonstealthed vehicles and did a smidge of AV damage. Accidentally driving into a nest of Spits was super painful.

in PS2 they are fairly useless, fragile, weak, noisy and limited to 1 at a time per engineer per resupply.
  13. Smoovious

Sounds like those "gamers" who play everything on beginner/easy mode with all cheats enabled, and think they're badasses when they figure out how to race through a level at top speed without dying...

-- Smoov
  14. Smoovious

Another pet peeve... when you're trying to talk to someone about strategy and tactics, and they act as if you're the idiot because "they don't exist in Planetside"... which, I suppose, was the reason I was trying to talk to them about strategy and tactics in the first place.

Just pure body numbers for them.

A group of attackers with fewer numbers than defenders, should still have no problem taking the base with a good choice of tactics...

The enemies use them, we don't... we lose more than they do.

I have several different tactics that both the VS and TR use pretty often, that have been VERY effective at taking out my armored sundy quickly, even when I have both gunners firing at them, and some eng trying to keep me repaired, for example.

Our tactics mostly seem to revolve around someone yelling "get out of the spawn room!" or "get on the point!" or "get the gen!"

anyways... another pet peeve...

-- Smoov
  15. Supporter

DerUnf4ssbare i agree with you. The problem is that PS2 forum is like ME3 forum. Too many braindead who does not now how some equipment supposed to work. Like when they say it is an early warning system... what a load of ****. If you don't know what a sentry gun/turret is then do not be a ********. I am not saying make it butcher but it definitley needs an overhaul. The current model sucks it is ugly and too big, basically bigger or simply an easier target than a character. HP wise it is an armored gun emplacement so it should have more health, like between 20-50%. I would be fine without damage buff but having to resupply constantly is a serious problem and when you get zerged you need every stuff you can have. Somewhere i read that it gets a darklight. So basically a beeping lightsource gets a flaslight. What a genious idea. SOE goes BioWare style.
  16. Taemien

You say the forum is braindead, but yet you two cannot get kills with it. I described a number of methods to get kills, have gotten kills, and will continue to get kills. Its useful to me. Yet you all say it sucks?

I think you all have a L2P issue. Especially if you need a turret to do the work for you. I don't, and many others don't. I love the thing. So the issue isn't with the turret. Point is, I'm not making a case based on the fact that I don't use it and don't want to face it. I use it whenever I'm defending a point as an engineer (either attack or defense) and still need to remain mobile.

I think the main issue you all have is unlike PS1 and other games with OP turrets is they are not place and forget. There is a thought process to putting down spitfires in PS2. You can't put it down where it can be shot, or seen early. You need to have another -thing- or entity there to help take that target down. Whether it be you, a teammate, or a mine.

You can't obviously believe that a spitfire should equal or even half equal a carbine? What happens when 12 engies with spitfires deploy them on a point and they equal a carbine? That 12v12 fight turned into 12v24 without any extra people showing up. Half as much as a carbine turns a 12v12 into 12v18.

We don't need another version of MAXes, especially one that costs no resources and can take and hold points on their own.
  17. Smoovious

I would have liked to see a wall-mounted turret that we could place... or any flat surface to mount it, like inside the elevator shafts or on the wall behind the defensive position we're taking to shoot over our heads at the incoming enemies.

or... (for a purely silly idea) make them sticky, so several engineers can stick them to the sides of a sundie, while we drive around with them attached. :D

-- Smoov
  18. Supporter

- I said "too many braindead" not "the forum is braindead" and i meant too many people whining about everything and not providing anything constructive.
    - You said/mentioned "kill" many times in the first 2 sentences.
    - You mentioned "L2P" so no credibility, mainly because you (and many others when they say it) implied i am a "no skill *******" with who can't play for ****, and i need something to play the game for me. But just to say. I am a defensive/supportive player who does not care about "kills" or "K/D" nor i am bragging how awesome i am like many "MLG hardcore" idiots.
    - I played Tribes Ascend and the sentries were less survivable than the spitfire here, but had no problem there because the turret size allowed me to place them properly where the enemy could be ambushed. And i heard this "OP" garbage enough time. If i say that i know how to place sentries you just won't beleive it.
    - The spitfire is less effective damage wise than a carbine, and i mentioned that it does not need a damege buff just health and better model. And it definitely does not need a god damn flashlight.
    - "What happens when 12 engies with spitfires deploy them on a point" I tell you what happens, either zerg or grenade/rocket spam. And spamming explosive ordnance everywhere is pretty common. But if the sentries have sunderer type no deploy zones your teammates just destroy your sentry to place theirs, so the spitfire should not take friendly fire, but it is doable.
    And lastly, i really wish games like planetside had Warhammer 40k tarantula sentries (the dual heavy bolter version) because i know it would piss people off and drive them nuts, and nothing is better than players angry screaming profanity in chat. It just makes me smile.
  19. Nayrx

Exactly