AV base turrets too effective against infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ballto21, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Ballto21

Spear turrets can snipe infantry from 1-2 hexes away if there is no cover. I think either limit its splash damage, or cause it to auto detonate after 350m (so it can still be effective as AV at long ranges)
  2. Auzor

Well, I would like to not be insta-gibbed by AV turrets. Make it do 750 AI damage, like the Phoenix. (part direct, part splash).
    Then, add "Drake" turrets. These serve as "anti-whatever" turrets. Drake and not basilisk, because basilisk is horrible for hitting infantry with, due to the left-right firing sequence.
  3. Ballto21

that would work, except it can fire 6 rockets pretty quickly. maybe 200 inf damage including splash and keeping its AV the same? that way instead of getting twoshotted you have time to piss off
  4. Hosp

It is a static defensive item. Rather than get 1-shot by it, why not just avoid it? It's not as if it can chase you. And it's not as if you don't know where it is. Getting killed by one is entirely on you.

But this thread becomes moot in the long term. If what Higby mentioned with addition/replacement of base turret come to fruition, that would require a general re-balance anyway. And it'd be pointless to balance something ahead of that if it's going to be changed again in the (hopefully near) future anyway.
    • Up x 17
  5. HadesR

With the limited zoom on the thing that's more luck than judgement ...

And if you want to reduce it's dmg versus infantry then it would need a HUGE buff in resistances versus infantry based weapons ..

Eg: it would need to with stand 20 rockets or 10 C4's

Since atm it's pitifully weak in that department and are easily picked off in a few hits by RL's or Engi AV turrets

That might be a half good idea ... Reduce it's range a touch ( IF they intended to keep the current Infantry render rangers ) as it's dmg is fine atm ...
  6. _itg

You need a direct hit to OHK with a Spear turret. If you are OHK'd by one, it's more than likely because you were standing still for far too long or because you took a big risk and got close to it. In other words, these turrets are only a threat to you if you're within a reasonable engagement range or you're totally oblivious.
    • Up x 6
  7. Xind

I do understand the issue with Tech Plant turrets firing on enemies from 1-2 hexes away...Abandoned NS offices is a prime location for this cheese. But luckily the amount of bases capable of this are few and far between. However, base turrets do need some serious range to engage vehicles since they do have large blind spots above and below and a limited firing arc.

Personally I'd also like to see static AI turrets buffed a little...those things are worthless.
    • Up x 3
  8. Ronin Oni

"I got killed by something. WAAH Remove it or nerf it so it may as well have been removed!"

ITT (and most threads for that matter)
    • Up x 8
  9. Ballto21

eh, fair enough. I mostly mean in bases like xenotech or TI alloys where you can snipe into buildings or at the spawn room from crossroads/the crown and get a ******** of splash kills, which are 2-3 hits in splash damage.
  10. Ballto21

"I dont have the necessary critical thinking skills to realize the OP is talking about cheesing it in bases or zones that you can fire into from a hex away with little risk to yourself."
  11. REZistance

Oh my god people, when does it end? Are you serious with this thread?
    • Up x 5
  12. Ronin Oni

It doesn't

The Forum Whine is real.
    • Up x 3
  13. Ronin Oni

I realize what you're talking about.

So your solution is to break a weapon that is slightly abusable in a bare handful of instances rather than just adding a piece of map geomoetry to block those specific LoS on spawn doors?

Do I have it about right? Then yeah, my first comment stands.
    • Up x 2
  14. Ballto21

I agree. For those who dont understand this is what im talking about, sitting in a tech plant, or zones like the crown or crossroads watchtower and shooting either blindly or with trial and error aim into rooms, at spawn rooms, or control points. And example of this being there is a high activity building in TI alloys on indar, which you can fire into from the crown without having to compensate much for the rockets drop. This happens at a distance of about 450 meters according to the map. A second example is into a high activity zone in Xenotech that you can hit from Crossroads Watchtower, about 670 meters out. I havnt done the testing to determine if it can get into the control point room, but i have seen, and done before myself, fired into the choke point at the road leading to Crossroads and into other high activity buildings.

Also AI turrets need a buff, at least 360* swivel.
  15. Ballto21

Then i guess weapons like the lancer, vortex, and raven dont need the change everyone seems to want. I highly doubt lowering a static base turrets effective range to not reach bases one or two hexes away would make it useless. I dont want anything to be nerfed into worthlessness, or really nerfed at all. And yes, adding more base door blockage would fix this problem and also help defend against other things like that, such as tank or AV maxspam.

Lowering the effective range of turrets, designed to defend the base theyre in from air or vehicles and NOT THE ONE 600M AWAY, seems to make sense.
  16. Ronin Oni

Bad argument.

Infantry can't be countered by tanks beyond 300m.

AV turret is supposed to fight vehicles out to 1-2km. They see the vehicles, and the vehicles see them.

The FIX that's needed is to fix infantry render range.

Infantry should only render in 300m and should only be effective out to 300m (hardcapped)

This way, if it renders, and you render, you can hit it, and it can hit you back. If one of you doesn't render, then engagement should be impossible for both sides.

AV turret balance is FINE. Infantry interaction is a problem, but there's a better fix than breaking an already limited in use turret.
    • Up x 7
  17. Ballto21

Where the hell are you fighting that an AV turret can hit something 1-2 KM out, or even renders, or if it renders isnt blocked by landscape. How the hell does a tank even hit something that far out? Theyre Base defense turrets, both named and designed to defend a base against incoming vehicles and air. But if someone can get into a techplant AV turret, and start shooting and killing sunderers, tanks, infantry, and even in some cases air because of the techplant being raised so high, with no chance at getting hacked out by an infiltrator or fired back upon because on the range unless a ESF or lib goes over there to handle it seems ridiculous. And this happens fairly commonly, i doubt limiting the turrets effective range to 300 or 350 meters (50 and 100 meters greater than the bases actual 'border' that a player has to be in for credit to a capture/defense) would change anything, other than not being able to blow up a sundy a hex and a half away.
  18. Reclaimer77

/signed

Tired of the turret abusing AV spammers. Nerf infantry damage, buff vehicle damage by 2X.
    • Up x 1
  19. Bloodlet

No OP. No.
    • Up x 4
  20. MarvinGardens

It should be able to hit anything that can hit it. Because, you know, it can't run, hide, block shots, and is terribly weak. Getting hit by things you can't see is bad enough. Getting hit by things you CAN see but can't hit back is monitor punching rage inducing.
    • Up x 2