Suddenly CPU bottlenecked (in a big way)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Grimunk, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Grimunk

Since the last patch, I've suffered a massive performance hit. Before I'd sit comfortably in the 40-60 fps range, GPU limited, regardless of what was going on around me. I'm now stuck at 15-30 fps CPU limited. In unpopulated areas of the map my fps can creep back up, but the moment I get anywhere where there is a bit of action or fly around in an ESF my max FPS is 20.

I am noticing even more of an FPS drop when there are a few overlays visible. I even get 30 FPS max on the character selection screen, so it seems like overlays and menus are contributing to CPU bogdown and degrading performance.

My system is a i7-980x and GTX Titans. I'm driving a 3440x1440 monitor, but down-resing doesn't make a difference. Turning detail down makes almost no difference (in fact, it seems to degrade performance further...?).
    • Up x 1
  2. Krayus_Korianis

Need at least an i5 2nd Gen CPU or AMD Equivalent for minimum requirements now.

I upgraded from an i3-2100 (good for the most part) to an i5-3470 and the FPS is totally different. I get well over 100 FPS in normal base fights and it goes down to 50-60 FPS in really large fights and in bio-labs.
  3. Kirppu1

This game runs like ****, deal with it
  4. Smagjus

This sounds super weird. You should get a lot more than that.

Can you check with Hwinfo if your cores properly raise the multiplier while playing?
  5. Ragnarox

This game runs like **** in the pas 2 months and its constantly degrading. Its not your hardware its game's.
  6. Grimunk

I'm on an ASUS Rampage 3 extreme - it raises all the cores at the slightest load. I've also set up an overclock profile for 4 Ghz, which doesn't make enough of a difference (at the moment, I've turned it off).
  7. Grimunk

The i7-980x is the extreme edition part: 6 cores, 3.33-3.733 Ghz. I've also run at 4. I'm at 12% CPU utilization and am CPU limited. I thought they improved the thread utilization in this game.
  8. Yessie

switch off SLI
  9. Krayus_Korianis

Not for those old CPU's. I had the same experience using an i3-2100 as you do with your i7-980x. Then I switched to an i5-3470 and the difference is staggering.
  10. Grimunk

My system has now started running slow across the board, even in non-ps2 games.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of the issue I'm having. At the moment, I'm checking to see if windows update botched something. I ran sfc and found some package errors, and tried to fix them with dsim but no luck (yet). I'm in the process of tracing down exactly what components are causing the error, then I'm going to pull the actual update files, expand them, then update the componenets manually.

If that works I'm a happy camper. If not, I'll probably have to reinstall windows.
  11. Aldaris

Them changing the official min spec had nothing to do with actual changes with the game. His change in FPS doesn't make sense within that context.
  12. Krayus_Korianis

It pretty much does make sense within that context. They added a lot to the overhead of the game. Which makes the CPU work harder; and after exiting the game, the CPU is still working quite hard for a few minutes.
  13. Aldaris

There's nothing been released in the last patch to cause an increase in minimum specs, especially when you consider when they changed the min spec. Afaik they only changed the min spec to inform users of their expected requirements, and not because of a change in how the game runs and therefore an impact on a user's system. If it was running fine before the last patch for him, it should be running fine now if there was no change to the game that would cause an increase in resource use.