How do you deal with AV maxes?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Captain Kid, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ashen

At the risk of an obvious response, the way you deal with them is cover.

If you park a sunderer where a freshly spawned AV max can easily get a line on it, it's not going to last. Yes, they can theoretically get into any position, but if they're straying far from a spawn they're also going to need an engineer following them, and be vulnerable to air, or infantry.

If they're part of a 10-man thing on a ridge, then you effectively need to start thinking in similar terms, i.e. what are your other 9 guys doing to stop them, rather than trying to win 1v10 solo. In which case 9 ESFs or 4 Libs hammering them is a reliable solution.

They are vulnerable to MBTs. I could only guess at my win/lose, but I think I probably kill 20+ AV MAXes for every 1 I die to in a tank. The simple thing there is use your mobility and fact you can self-repair, and careful aim. Bearing in mind at very short ranges you'll win, you want to move from cover to cover with a tank, closing the distance to make sure this happens.
  2. zombielores

Lancer, vortex, and AV turrets work the same and are all way more ''accurate'' then falcons.

The problem is at that range, vehicles weren't designed to kill infantry [to prevent spawn room farming] but when they nerfed AI options at that range, they also forgot to reduce AV options for infantry [which their doing right now].

The same situation is happening with infantry now that we have dynamic rendering [and the stupid Q-spot dorito thing], certain weapons are able to shoot from outside their counter range [e.g L-PPA from 600+ meters away outside of every ground based AA range and almost untouchable].
  3. Hiperion

4. iller

no please don't do this... we like our fat metal raven smuggling tushies just the way they are. Come at us Bro with C4 like every other cheesey loser in the game does plz. Don't try to counter us with the only thing that isn't getting a Range nerf in the next patch... :(
  5. WorldOfForms

It sounds like your first focus should be on better placement of your AMS.

I use AV MAXes a lot, and I especially try to hunt AMSes. It is very rare for me to find an AMS that I can shoot with impunity. Most of the AMSes I encounter are placed in a way that there is no distant ridge that has line of sight on them. Typically, I try to flank the AMS and attack from high ground, but the high ground is actually at medium range from the AMS, so usually I get swarmed by HA and LA so fast that I cannot finish off the AMS.

When you park your AMS, get out and look around the flank. Is there high ground far away? Often there is, but you should be positioned where these high points are well inside friendly territory.

Focus on blocking that high ground line of sight. Often, you'll still have high ground that is much closer to your AMS. In that case, you can swap to LA and go flying up to deal with an AV MAX.
  6. MAXArmar

Killing MAXes with two salvo's and with higher muzzle velocity than both Comets and Pounders while also OHK'ing infantry is impotent how?
  7. AlterEgo

No! I shall maintain my dignity; who needs cheese bricks when you have focused energy?:p
  8. Demigan

Ah I misread you, I thought you also mentioned that you couldn't see the rockets/missiles.

I personally have no problems with seeing AV MAX's when they fire at me. But seeing how the game has some weird quirks that some people can have the weirdest bugs that only a select group gets I wouldn't be surprised if this has nothing to do with your PC. But it's best to check your render settings nonetheless.
  9. Grimunk

Even with lockdown sundies don't go down that easily. They have to be unattended. Attended sundies are deadly, especially if they have a cobalt mounted - anchored TR maxes get shredded by the cobalt before they can undeploy.
  10. Cinnamon

If properly set up in terms of numbers and positioning the av max and av mana will simply zone vehicles out of a large area. You don't deal with them you stay outside their range or die. If it's just a lone max then you just whatever tactics you normally use against max just you are much more vulnerable in a vehicle. If he has the advantage in terms of cover you probably shouldn't engage.
  11. Captain Kid

That is good advice. Do not park the AMS when there is distant high ground with line of sight on the AMS on non friendly territory.