Hardware upgrade advice (10 fps)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RagingMouser, Jan 23, 2015.

1. RagingMouser

Hi Everyone,

Just installed PS2. According to some information I have a good enough graphics card and others I don't. I don't think my rig is the bottlekneck but you might know better based on the specs below. Can anyone tell me the best graphics card to get if I'm on a budget? Right now I've knocked down the resolution to lower than what my 1920x1080 monitor can handle and brought all other graphics settings to a minimum. I've also disabled desktop composition and aero.

Thanks.

Intel i7 970 3.2 GHZ
    16 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 420
    Windows 7 64 bit
  2. Smagjus

3. RagingMouser

Thanks. If I were to purchase the minimum required graphics card would I need to keep all the settings and resolution as low as they can go to get 30+ fps or would I have more decent performance? Does anyone have a minimum spec graphics cards that might know?
  4. Onhil

I don't know how much hmoney you have to spend on a graphics card update, but I will recomend either a gtx 760 - 770 or a gtx 970.

I don't know about the OC capabilites of your CPU, but see if you can get the clock speed up to 3.5 Ghz and turn off shadows should increase your fps by alot.

Pluss if you to have money to buy the graphics card I have listed and you're thinking of buying them turn Graphics Quality to high so some of the work load in rendering get sent to the GPU aswell

EDIT: another info for you is that PS2 is very CPU intesive so you might wanna upgrade your CPU to a newer model if your fps does not reach desired levels
    • Up x 1
  5. sixoo

just a bit old but still good https://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36590
  6. sjtw_w_stot

What is that card doing in that system?
  7. RagingMouser

lol I wasn't much of a gamer when I bought this system... just had a bunch of money from a startup and wanted as much of a blown-out development machine as I could get.

Thanks a lot. I'll use this as a reference.
  8. BlackDove

Read this first.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...e-can-i-run-it-upgrade-advice-threads.170564/

Dont buy a minimum spec gpu. What kind of power supply do you have? How much can you spend?
  9. player16

NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 the gpu is a bit lacking if you check what is to be its performance in cores you will notice that is 96 and if even the generation should be ok the number does not look like enough you could try turning shadows off or things off but is not that the game could not run is that is not made to run with 96 cores, i bought a graphics card equivalent to the play station 4 and think games are to run in this for years i made a good purchase.
  10. Jonj57

Buy something like a 280x or a 760ti/770
    Unless you're one of the weirdos that run absurdly high resolution monitors you really don't need much than this for casual gaming.
    • Up x 1
  11. ElGambo

Yeah don't need much for casual gaming... recommends 280x, 760ti, 770.
  12. Aldaris

Within the context of the sentence, it obviously connects casual gaming to 1080p and possibly lower settings, so yeah those are fine cards for that depending on what FPS you find comfortable and your monitor refresh rate.
    • Up x 1
  13. ElGambo

You still do not need a 760ti and above.
  14. BlackDove

Theres no such thing as a 760ti.

The 960 was just released and its a great value. Just get one of those if you need a good 1080p card. It should perform about the same as a 770.
    • Up x 2