[Suggestion] Remake the TRAP-M1 please

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tykune, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Tykune

What can I say about this weapon... well, lets see... its the worst weapon in the game. It was an insult to infiltrators when this was released and I personally felt it was made on purpose to undermind TR. But with that aside, lets crunch this down.

"Multiple firing modes on the TRAP-M1 give it incredible flexibility on the field. In addition to standard semi-auto fire, it utilize a 2x burst mode for accurate long-range kills, with an additional higher RPM 3x burst mode for closer targets."

First off, this is not a sniper rifle. It is a lame knock off of some sort of machine gun that doesn't do the damage of a machine gun that is tagged as a sniper rifle. Its damage is laughable at best at 184 before 15m and 167 before 85m. As a default if we were to use the light assault as an example, the class boasts about 500 health and 500 shield (with no suit or perks). As the description so clearly states that this mode is for long range killing, we'll use 167 damage per bullet in this calculation.

167 + 167 = 334.

Now lets put this in perspective. The starter sniper rifle, the 99SV does 334 damage after 85m. Thats right, after 85m, the TRAP does the same amount of damage as a starter rifle. And that is IF the second bullet hits. (Spoiler: More often than not, it doesn't.)

Perhaps you are wondering about close range as well? Well, granted that the 2x is supposively not built for close range, we'll make a comparison anyways.

TRAP-M1-
    184+184 = 368
    99SV - One shot = 400.

The 99SV still wins in terms of damage at close range. And to boot it off, the 99SV has less recoil and more fire rate than the TRAP-M1. Also, firing the TRAP-M1 shifts your aim upward quite a bit.

This makes the long range, and even close range, absolutely USELESS compared to other weapons. You would have to hit them with all five shots (10+ bullets, assuming every bullet hits, which I guarantee they wont) to kill someone with no suit armor on. When you shooting on 2x burst mode, the second bullet is completely inaccurate that it doesn't even come close to hitting the target, even with both a compensator and a foregrip. So therefore, to make this weapon relatively useful, there needs to be quite literally no recoil. Absolutely NO RECOIL.

The Semi-Auto Fire only has a use in close range as it allows you to fire it as if it were a scout rifle, but even then, the damage is so horrendous that the other scout rifles out perform it.

I didn't bother with the 3x burst as that is only effect if you are sitting right in their face, even closer than shotgun range. If you do manage to get ALL the bullets to land, it does about 552 damage, enough to get through the shield and do about 52 health damage. But by then, you are likely already dead from being so close, as infiltrators have low health.

Overall, this junk of a gun is DEFINITLY not worth 1000 certs, honestly, its not even worth 500 certs either. Even sniper rifles that you start out with, in which you pay no certs for, out perform this gun.

I would very much love for this gun to be revamped, and recreated to be a TRUE sniper rifle like the other factions received when they were released. I have no ideas myself on how to make the rifle unique or how it should be revamped, but it should be remade into something that is actually worth 1000 certs.
    • Up x 10
  2. Huishe

You know, i was laughing from the first paragraph... but only because you're right. I have no idea why trap exists and i don't know a single person who used it for anything but ***** and giggles. While i don't think it's gonna be reworked soon or ever, i root for you.
    • Up x 2
  3. Tykune

Thanks. Though I just figured it was about time for someone to speak up about it.
  4. asdfPanda

At the very least they could boost the mag size up to 30 rounds.
  5. Tykune

I dont think boosting the mag could even justify it.
  6. iller

****in remake all of the ESSR's ... they're all downgrades still that don't support any advantageous roles
  7. 7 Drunk Midgets

I'd gladly trade my TRAP for a Railjack, heck, I'd even trade access to my Commissioner for a Railjack, as long as it has a red color scheme. A red Railjack? I'm drooling. Higby pls gib.
  8. OldMaster80

The TRAP is not bad after all as scout rifle. The problem is it's not really flexible like the description says. Switching to double or single bullet doesn't make you gain range nor accuracy. It just makes you deal less damage. The single bullet mode deals less damage than the stock sidearm.
    • Up x 4
  9. JediNinja

Its really a same that is this bad. The Trap looks awesome. I love the look of both the Trap and the T4 Amp. Too bad one is **** and the other is OK in the right situation.
    • Up x 1
  10. y3ivan

And whats wrong with M14EBR
    It has x3 burst by the way, and most users will only use x3 burst.

i kinda like it. Among all the 'traditional' rifle infiltrator gets, this is only rifle that has a completely different playstyle. Though it really needs a larger magazine size. something like 24 rounds
  11. HAXTIME

I honestly like the TRAP how it is now, but I'd like to use it as a sniper rifle even more. Cut the recoil of all shots but the last one to 10% of what it is now, and give the aforementioned last one a recoil multiplier based on the number of shots fired, as well as an increase is burst firing speed (and possibly the delay between bursts). This is a sniper rifle - by description - after all.

Recoil stats per bullet after the overhaul, respective to the rounds fired in succession (where applicable):
    • Single shot:
      • 1x recoil
    • 2-round burst:
      • 0.1x recoil
      • 2x recoil
    • 3-round burst:
      • 0.1x recoil
      • 0.1x recoil
      • 3x recoil
    This would not only make the rifle feel powerful because of the final kick, but also make it a usable sniper rifle. This also requires a change in available weapon attachments for the now available longer-range combat.
  12. Tykune

The damage still needs to be buffed to make proper use of it though, given its a 1000 cert weapon.
    • Up x 2
  13. HAXTIME

I'd pay another 1000 CERTs just for the recoil overhaul alone. This makes it more convenient to use, versatile, and powerful than you might think. The extra damage would make a sniper rifle that kills nearly just as fast as bolt-action ones, while the operation is much more convenient, especially at closer ranges.
    • Up x 1
  14. iller

You say that.... and we all agree it's a great Aesthetic overall...
    But it's still functionally a downgrade to the LA80 / Em4 unless you have 60 fps ALL THE TIME & never lag
  15. CapEnTrade

Freaking terrible gun and it needs to be fixed/uber buffed.
  16. AlterEgo

1. This rifle performs better than both the RailJack and the Phaseshift. Just wanted to let you know.
    2. It is very bland, I agree. Maybe a dual-barreled sniper rifle that deals 570 damage per shot, but has a stupid long reload and drops off slightly quickly.
  17. Tykune

You obviously have not tried the TRAP... but I forgive your ignorance.

EDIT: I looked up the Railjack and Phaseshift on PlanetSide wiki, please dont make troll posts. The RailJack is an excellent weapon and there is not inferior to the TRAP in any shape or form. The Phaseshift does have a slight downside to damage, but makes up for it in the lack of needing ammo.
  18. AlterEgo

I have tried the TRAP, and it was very... interesting. But seriously, it HAS a better K/D ratio than the other sniper rifles, no joke. It's not on PS Wikia, but rather on this site called PS2 Death Oracle. Also, do remember that I am not ignorant as you did not realize that it has a larger K/D, and the Phaseshift has worse velocity and a VERY slight damage buff when charged.
  19. Tykune

Cause larger K/D always means you're right I guess o_O Yeah, dont try to use that card when it isn't compatible here buddy. The phaseshift I can see presenting some issues, but it is not worse than the TRAP-M1. In regards to having tried the TRAP, you are either lying or an utter noob to the game. And since you are likely not a noob, you must be lying. I never see anyone using the TRAP on the server, so I fail to see how it even comes close to having better K/D ratio than other snipers (cause it doesn't).

EDIT: Correction, you are less than two months old. I guess you really are a noob.
  20. OldMaster80

Switching between fire modes should have a bigger impact on performance: range and recoil should change much more. Single shots should have almost no recoil given their trivial damage.
    • Up x 1