L-PPA needs a range nerf.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zombielores, Jan 20, 2015.

1. vanu123

It's fine, it leaves you completely vulnerable to enemy air, AA, etc.
    PPA forces you to stay in the area for an extended period of time and with each second the risk of getting blown up increases exponentially.
    Besides get a skyguard so you can deny air for an entire hex.
  2. FnkyTwn

Pick your poison. Silent death, or the endless screaming of Ravens as you die?
  3. LIKE A BOSS!

Its not that easy, I can easily stay 500m+ away and only see the player names and get kills while easily avoiding flak. It's pretty funny. But i'm a sitting duck for any decent esf pilot while using the LPPA though.
  4. vanu123

Exactly, if it was that big of a problem then go grab an AA mossie/reaver. Heck even a battlewhale would be pretty good. Some people just don't want to have to counter some things and instead would rather just nerf them.
  5. HadesR

We can leave AV turrets and Ravens as is then ? Cool :)
  6. vanu123

Ravens just need their infantry effectiveness nerfed, AV turrets are fine imo (if I could cert out a 500 cert 2x sight for it I would)
  7. zombielores

I don't, my usual FPS is around 30-40 but I opened my video recorder and my frames tank every time I try to record anything.
    • Up x 1
  8. Riku

I don't hesitate to agree with this. The problem is that LPPA is a weapon designed for long-time-bombardement which means that whenever a fight is decently populated and has average AA + the scythe is within range, the pilot will never be able to utilize the strength of the weapon (the huge magazine). Now with the range extension it has become much more viable (although I hate how at that range thermals dont work).
    I agree with shortening the range but then remove the useless magazine size "advantage" and give it some buff that makes it more viable at getting out of cover, killing one target quickly and diving behind next cover. Cause with the huge magazine and decent splash radius comes the disadvantage of low rof and extremely low velocity and longest single-target-ttk of all ESF AI weapons at relatively close range (well, talking pre-nerf Banshee, have no idea how it fares currently).

My suggestions: make the projectiles disappear past 200m. Give it a reasonable bloom. Lower splash radius. Smaller magazine. Increase splash damage, rate of fire and velocity.
    Voila. You have a weapon that stops working past 200m, gets inaccurate full-auto at long range (this would further harm its already worst AA capabilities, though...) and has a reasonable magazine. It has high damage output if all explosions connect, which would be at close range. A solid weapon for strafing runs. Paper planes should not be designed for sticking around and unloading a large magazine over ~15 seconds. If they get made more viable at what they should be good at, the need to shoot from 300m away will disappear naturally.
    • Up x 1
  9. zombielores

Ya because hitting aircraft at that range with anything is even slightly possible. Have you seen the pictures I posted, he is actually outside of LOCK-ON range, that is 450m +, you can also clearly see the icon of the max right there, and I'll tell you he has dual busters equipped, the sundie also has a ranger and the Harraser not in view also had a ranger, this has nothing to do with us not trying, instead it's about the ability of not being able to fight back.

Just an FYI, I did pull my A2A reaver to hunt him but by the time I got there he was no where to be found while I was 500 deep inside enemy territory. Stop trying to defend a broken mechanic, this has nothing to do with us not trying because at that range anything that can even hit the ESF would barely tickle them but nothing can because he's so far away that lock-ons don't even work.

Go educate yourself on the matter before commenting and I mean this in the most polite way possible.
  10. zombielores

All infantry AI weapons mounted on vehicles have had their range nerfed one way or the other except for the PPA, all I'm suggesting is fixing a broken mechanic, reducing the range and then it disappears so the regular L-PPA within AA range wouldn't see a difference and f***** like the guy in the screen shot would stop abusing it because it's so skillful shooting from 450+ meters against units that can't fight back even in the slightest chance without venturing 500 meters deep into enemy territory.
  11. zombielores

Doesn't work that way, I did pull an ESF to go hunt him because I knew he was crippled versus an A2A ESF, so I pulled from Arroyo Terro right next down the lattice lane and flew right at where he was 500 meters deep inside VS territory around crossroads watchtower looking for an ESF that has had more then enough time to escape, and guess what, he was gone, no trace of him to be found and I was deep inside enemy territory.

This really has nothing to do with us not countering because he was outside of even AA range and even trying to attack him we have to put ourselves in 100x more danger then he does spamming from 500 meters.

So please educate me on how to deal with this problem even though it's clearly not balanced or fair.
  12. Xasapis

My comment was for infantry AV. Infantry AV are anti vehicle weapons carried by infantry. Why you quoted me and started talking about L-PPA is beyond me. Why you insist, is again a wonder.

Regarding the OP, careful what you wish for. AH performance is very similar to L-PPA. If L-PPA gets nerfed, guess what will follow suit.
  13. zuka7

It's fine? Since you can spam from distance you don't have to worry about G2A much and thus you don't really need extended afterburners for hit and run escape, which opens up a slot for coyotes. L-PPA+Coyote combo is best out of the three as you can spam from distance and safety, and when your only threat which is another ESF shows up you can then use Coyotes. You don't have to stay in the area for long time to go on a crazy spree like 24 kills in 80 seconds and 14 kills in 6 seconds.
  14. zombielores

Though we were talking about the L-PPA because this is a L-PPA thread, my sincere apologies.

If you really think this is balanced then we have nothing to say to each other regarding this topic, what's the risk in shooting infantry 500 meters away outside of AA range with no risk or chance of anyone killing you. The PPA performance will not drop because there will be no real nerfs happening, if this is what is keeping the PPA stats up then we need to revamp the weapon because doing this is not fair or balanced in the slightest.
  15. Xasapis

If you reread the thread, I merely answered to a guy asking about infantry AV. Then you quoted me about L-PPA, twice.

As for the second part of your comment, the results speak for themselves really. In terms of anti infantry the L-PPA is 11% ahead and in terms of anti-air the air hammer is 4 times better. The net result bring those two weapons too close in terms of performance. Upsetting that balance, aka butchering one of them SOE style, will surely mean that the other will follow suit.
  16. zombielores

Again my apologies, it is my fault and I apologies for it.

[IMG].
    The actual difference would be minimal, anyone using the L-PPA prior to the December patch wouldn't notice a difference and the only ones that will will be the new ones that abuse the new render range. This is clearly unintentional and should be fixed, not just with the L-PPA but with all weapons across all 3 factions.

This kind of game play is not fair or balanced and is only fun for the person shooting and there is no way to justify it.
  17. Xasapis

Which is what I said in my very first comment in this thread. Vehicle AI weapon and infantry AV weapon ranges should always overlap. Especially now, that the render cap for infantry has been extended beyond 300m.

KPU btw is almost identical:

4305 - Light PPA | KPU | Daily Average: 12.04
    4605 - M30 Mustang AH | KPU | Daily Average: 11.76

The Banshee is the one in dire need of a buff, which is something already confirmed by the developers.
    • Up x 1
  18. zombielores

I agree with this, hence why this thread is here, L-PPA needs to have its range reduced to 300 meters, most if not all L-PPA users will see no difference.
    • Up x 1
  19. Cyropaedia

As an occasional "L-PPA spammer" on Connery, I can tell you that the opportunity use it in such fashion is very rare.

There only situation to effective L-PPA spam for kills (out of AA range or not) is when NC/TR infantry are BUNCHED UP in a choke point or a single Sunderer. This is poor strategy on NC/TR part. If they are not BUNCHED UP, the orbs splash a few times every 70-round magazine and have no effect.

Nerfing L-PPA would make it fairly weak. It already makes you a sitting duck against AA and A2A ESFs by virtue of its rate of fire and limited Armor damage. A Reaver or Mosquito, or a well positioned Skyguard, could easily overcome the defenseless L-PPA Scythe.

L-PPA long range ability makes it the perfect tool for mitigating a Zerg monopolizing on an advantageous point. If I pulled a MAX or Magrider on that kind of point, it would be instant death.
    • Up x 1
  20. Xind

When the only counter to something is that thing, it's pretty safe to say it's over powered.
    • Up x 2