[Suggestion] Anti-materiel rifle (AMR) from NS

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by ReallyNothing, Jan 9, 2015.

1. ReallyNothing

Hi,

I don't know if this discussion is as old as this game but.. isn't there any other main Infiltrator player who hates vehicle zergs?

One could say: "If you hate them, play Engineer/HA/LA to counter them.."

yeah.. but.. I don't want to. Every class got something against vehicles. I want something which isn't C4 for us Infils.

Whatever, on to the suggestion.

NS-AMR

Fire rate: 12rpm
    Muzzle velocity: 250m/s
    Max.-damage: 1550 - till 175m
    Min.-damage: 1250 - after 300m
    Mag.-size: 1
    Amm.-pool: 30
    Rechambertime: 5 seconds

Sooo.. that's the basic. I'm not a numbers geek, so I don't know anything about CoF Numbers etc. This weapon needs a really high CoF if not aimed throug the fixed 12 times scope. Otherwise you could use it to easy against infantry (use of secondary). The long rechamber time will also reduce it's use at CQC to Midcombat. Slow Muzzlevelocity will make it useles at higher distances. It is used to kill vehicles, not Infantry.

Damagemodel is used straight vom the Phalanx turret. If I remember right you need 5 rearshots for a MBT 3 or 4 for a lightning. This means, if the target isn't moving at all, you could kill it between 15 and 25 seconds (if not certed into armor)

This is a really rough model idea. What do you think?

rn
  2. WarmasterRaptor

You want the invisible class to snipe tanks??

There's already enough out of render abuse...
    • Up x 2
  3. ReallyNothing

Tanks need to move out of danger zones as every other player in the game.
    AV-Turrets are sniping them as well, and it isn't game breaking.
    If they move, they are save. It's not like an insta kill.

rn
  4. iller

A "light Anti-Armor" ammo option would be good enough.... Something specifically for higher damage against MAX suits, Harassers, and ESF's / Valks. We dont' need to pierce a Lightning's armor (to a degree, the explosive Crossbow kind of does this already).

More specifically, it would give the Semi-Auto Sniper rifles an actual purpose & advantage at something finally.
    ...and it wouldn't cost 1000 certs to unlock and be another stupid niche gun that ppl would feel compelled to Auraxium
    • Up x 1
  5. _itg

Your rough model is basically a vastly upgraded rocket launcher, and you're giving it to a class which can turn invisible. I think if infiltrators get any AV option, it needs to be something you have to sneak up to the vehicle to use, and it can't be c4, because that really would be overpowered. In the past, I've suggested a c4-like item which slowly does damage over time instead of instantly destroying the vehicle. The driver should be able to get out and disable the device, but of course that gives you an opening to make a kill.
    • Up x 2
  6. ReallyNothing

Yeah,

it's a rough suggestion to have something to talk about. You're always able to tweak it. But nerfing it into oblivion won't fulfill it's intended purpose. Beeing an ok'ish alternative against vehicles.
    If they zerg the spawnroom.. there is NO way to sneak up to them. With nanites as recource, the ONE tank you might destroy as drifter is back in 30 seconds.

Take the invisible class.. sneak out in the mountains, and start harass the vehicle zerg. It just adds one tactical layer. Spawnroomcamping and mindless shelling at the shields would be a bit more dangerous. They'd need to MOVE which may open a window for defenders. Plus you are always able to hunt the inf who is shooting your vehicles.

It just gives us an alternative against vehicles plus adds something to reduce this mindless zergs.

On the other side I'd would like to know how the weapon could break the game. I'm just one guy and can't think of all the angles.

Thx :)

rn
  7. Mafiakocia

How about no?

I play a sniper infiltrator most of the time nowadays and what You propose is more powerful version of rocket turret for engineer. The muzzle velocity itself is way to high. It doesn't allow tanks to even remotly try and avoid infantry projectile. Downsize the dmg 4 times and we can start talking right after the highest dmg (being 400) is starts to downsize after 10 meters down to 40 dmg at the range of 100 m. What You do not understand is that it would very easily become the ultimate AV weapon not because of it's range, but due to Infiltrator ability to go into cloak and scur away.

Than You have to downsize the carriable amunition pool to 15. ROF have to go down at least to 6 rounds per minute. That rifle would still had to heave tracers like solar beams because otherwise it would be too powerful. It's not easy to hunt that big of a game, and allowing infil to become such hunter - roaming the land, searching for easy prey - it would be too op.
    • Up x 1
  8. CaiBai

Hahahaha... so basicaly you wish for Infiltrator to get a super rocket launcher ? Have you put any thought about the whine and outrage form the air ? Oneshoting ESFs easily, sniping LIbbs, 12 Infis killsquads ruling over Esamir and Indar, no need for MAX we all pull Infis and destroy tank Zerg.. within 5s Sounds good- but its not
  9. Skiptrace

make it kill in 2 shots (ESF's, Lightnings, Harrassers, Flashes [1 shot]) and 5 RPM.
  10. WarmasterRaptor

I think you missed the part where I said out of render.

And it IS game breaking... ask any tanker/driver how annoying it is.

Where's and what is that "danger zone" when you don't know where the shots are coming from?

The enemy is invisible, the projectile until it's too late.
    No direction from where the damage is coming from either, just your health melting away.

So tanks would have to hide inside the tech plants /amp stations garages only?

Stepping out of the warpgate/spawnrooms is pretty much going in the danger zone XD
  11. _itg

Maybe you've heard of Lancer squads? The Lancer is esentially a low damage, unlimited range AV sniper rifle which goes in the HA rocket launcher slot. Get enough HAs using these on a hill and entire armor columns evaporate, because they're too far away to retaliate against, and they can time their shots so the tanks die almost instantly. The tactic is considered overpowered by many. The only reason you don't see it more often is that it requires a lot of coordination.

Now, your suggested weapon can do the exact same thing, except you can do it from anywhere, because you can use the cloak rather than sheer distance to avoid retaliation, and you need far fewer users, because your weapon does several times more damage. What's more, cloakers can reliably get behind the tanks to take advantage of the rear armor weakness. with a wraith flash, it shouldn't even take too long to get into position.

What all this should tell you is that the weapon can only be balanced if it requires sustained fire from the rear (or many attackers) to have a fair chance of killing a full-health MBT. In other words, it needs to do poor damage. As much as a Lancer at the maximum, probably less.
  12. thebigbortishbort

whilst sniper rifles are indeed for infiltrator i do wreckon this anti material rifle will fit most for the HA to fill the rocket launcher slot , itll be like a slow velocity , high drop rifle that does armour damage , presuming its single shot you can have it shoulder mounted and use the same reload animation , in essence you would trade damage for longer range and ease of use :D
    • Up x 1
  13. Neo3602

I would really really like that
  14. blzbug

We already have an infiltrator specific AV weapon...the wraith. Much more flexible and powerful than a single inf grunting around in the hills with a fat AMR plinker.
    Wraith has another big advantage.... It is insanely fun!
    The key to the wraith is learning to aim in 3rd person view. This keeps you mobile and aware.
  15. PanzerGoddess

Please no AV for infy...my opinion. Don't recall any other class that can hack a terminal....or turrets....we do actually have great options in the best places. AN AV for infy would become a sore subject as well as it would be no less an "OP" weapon. Imagine a squad of infys behind enemy lines in a far off place sniping vehicles and air alike....the point of using vehicles would become what.....

Infys have their place, I don't believe AV is one of them. Use a wraith and go be annoying, sneak into a base and hack a turrent knowing the tank col will roll out, send phal shots up vehicle rear ends. Sneak in a base hack a vehicle term behind lines grab a tank cause havoc, get out of tank before it blows up rinse and repeat as you piss off plenty of players.

not exactly on topic

Take 3rd person away....I know its in the future but lol....I feel there is a floating camera somehow we have that just happens to be above our vehicles. Let people use their FPS awareness and think. IMO are mine alone so. I don't use 3rd person, I like to feel Im actually in the tank or plane or etc. Its an FPS for a reason....should stay exactly as it is.
  16. Anonymous Qwop

For armor: 450 max, 200 min. Much higher muzzle velocity.
    Rear shot: 500 max, 250 min. Same range as for infantry version.

For infantry: 667 max, 400 min. Reduce the max damage range to 100m and min to 250m.

Ammo pool: Load each shot like pump shotguns. 5 shots per clip. 20 ammo pool.

Yes it should do damage, but it shouldn't do as much as a turret.
    This should be a distracting shot, or a kill stealer.

450 dmg is plenty to make a driver say "What the **** was that?!"

PS: I am a tanker. I received my mag license from Dark University of Swagriding.
  17. Ransurian

Infiltrators don't need an AMR. As far as complaints regarding armor zergs, there's enough AV as it is to counter them. It's also worth adding that armor zergs are far, far less effective than they appear, since sitting around in a tank isn't doing much to help your faction capture control points in most situations. Moreover, a relatively equal balance of friendly and enemy players in a given hex is usually enough to whittle down an armor zerg.
  18. Ballto21

ive suggested tank mines costing 400/800 so they cant be used for anti infrantry and you still gotta be sneaky. but endless crying and people not realizing LA are the exact same in sneakynes if done right is real
  19. Casey B

Yeah the concept is good, but those numbers are wayyy off. here's my Idea:

Anti Material Rifle

Chamber time: 2s
    Mag: 5
    M/s: 700
    Dmg: 600 at 10m to 350 at 250m

It would function like any BASR except it would have armor piercing ability. So it is not too OP it would not have perfect COF like a true sniper, it's bullets would have a tiny bit of deviation even when crouching and still. Also since the bullets are armor piercing high velocity rounds they would do less overall damage to infantry then a round meant for anti personnel. The round would not be considered 'small arms fire' and thus not blocked by tank armor or 80% resisted by Max armor.

Attachments: Compensator/Flash Suppressor. Straight Pull Bolt. Explosive Ammo.

Explosive Ammo would reduce bullet velocity by 15%, but give the round extra indirect damage and change the damage type to explosive. Would be more effective against infantry and maxes that don't have flak armor.
  20. Takara

I'm so tired of saying NO to these threads....snipers have their places. Killing tanks isn't one of them....hacking tanks...should be one of them.
    • Up x 2