Graphics settings for helping CPU

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by zant91, Jan 13, 2015.

1. zant91

Hey, I know if you turn off shadows you will get increased fps, do you know any other settings that affect the CPU?
  2. Smagjus

Particles. And many people claim Flora has the same effect but I cannot reproduce that.

Also make sure that the CPU doesn't downclock under load. The VRMs easily overheat when combining the CPU with an AIO.
  3. zant91

Thanks, I thought Particles were GPU and not CPU dependent, I will try.
  4. RainbowDash9

are those the only two? im trying to find the right balance between gpu and cpu load so i can get a reasonably consistant 60 fps with my I-5 and gtx 750
  5. PresidentFreeman

Maximum voice channels also has a massive effect (at least for me), turning down from the default 96 to 48 really helps, and the difference in sound isn't really noticeable at all.
  6. anaxim

If you dont care much about visuals it is good to try getting lower everything. I used to have a dual core cpu(bad) and an ati 4870(pretty good) and although I wasnt gpu bound I found out that everything* effects frame rate a little. (when you have a crappy system I mean)

*everything except texture quality(at least for my ati 4870)
  7. Webbyx01

What is you're current system? It CAN'T be the one in the description if you're getting frame issues.

With that i5 (since it's a REAL quad core), you're mostly limited by your GPU. A 750 is mid-range, so set your settings to low-mid and go from there. Tweak to where you're comfortable with the quality and performance.
  8. Octiceps

Particles were broken for the longest time (stuck on Ultra regardless of in-game setting). Is this still the case? Anyway, it affects GPU not CPU.

Besides Shadow Quality, Render Distance is the only other setting that has a large impact on the CPU. I have found 2000 meters to be a good compromise between performance and a playable draw distance.
  9. Smagjus

The 4870 is as bad as the dual core CPU and that is why 'everything' improved your framerate. The GPU limited aswell.

The settings work how they are supposed to. The difference is very obvious when landing and dust is being displayed. Also: Particles affect both, GPU and CPU, depending on the effect that is being shown.

Render distance is a good point. Totally forgot that one.
  10. BloodyPuma

Where do I find this setting to edit? I scouted my useroptions.ini and it lacks "voicechannels". Somwhere else?
  11. Octiceps

It's in the audio settings menu.
  12. mersh21

1. put your graphics settings at ULTRA

2. UNPARK YOUR CORES!!!!!!!!!! People should really be able to easily find this by googling "planetside 2 tweaks". Unparking your cpu cores will instantly throw your FPS through the roof, after doing it myself I have consistent 65+ fps with two year old hardware.

Unpark your core tool: http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility
    link is safe, tested and used by thousands of people, a few easy clicks, a PC restart, and your PLanetside experience will never be the same.
  13. Smagjus

Bit of an overstatement. The difference is non existent on my system. Windows 8 generally does a better job than 7 regarding core parking.
  14. mersh21

Well, for most people it is a huge improvement everyone that I've told to do this had a jump of at least 25 sustained fps. Putting the settings on Ultra also has a lot to do with it that you can read on the rest of the PS2 tweaks pages.
  15. Octiceps

Yeah, not much observed difference here between core parking on and off. Maybe a little decrease in stuttering but FPS remains the same. The benefit is probably greater on AMD CPUs.

And Smagjus is right, Windows 8 has core parking disabled by default, Windows 7 does not.

If OP is using Windows 7, make sure you've installed these two Windows updates in this order, rebooting after each one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060

This goes for anyone using an AMD Bulldozer two core per module architecture CPU in Windows 7, e.g. an FX, APU, or Athlon X2/X4. It takes care of the core parking and provides some general CPU performance improvement, which as we all know is mightily important in PlanetSide 2. Windows 8 has these two fixes already included.
    • Up x 2