[Suggestion] Help a New player out

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mak25, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Mak25

i started ps2 recently and i dont understand a few things ...

1) i was playing as medic i see people reviving but when i point my healing gun at a player who just died it doesnt revive them though it heals a damaged player who is alive ... am i doing something wrong or any cert or a bug.. i donno

2) what is the 3 injection gun the infiltrator has and what is its purpose

3)since i have default guns i just put in certs in scopes and forward grip as of now flanking the enemy works but head on i die in an instant ... so if guys could suggest some good guns for vanu as it suits my type of gun types and just any tips that would give me an edge ... i have played fps before but ps2 high level players are too damn op

4) some certs for vehicles too :) and tips for getting more certs as in advanced one sundi spawn nd stuff i knw

5)how to cycle chat menus .. i reply with enter but how to go about with squad chat.

i like this game alot but as of now im just hidding behind higher players and flanking which sometimes gets me killed or everyone is already dead till i flank them as i dont knw the layout but thats not the issue just some close to medium range guns and tips overall would be appreciated.
  2. Mezinov

Welcome to Planetside 2 Mak25.

Item 1)
    Left Click Heals with the Medical Tool, Right Click Revives. This is a recent change, so don't feel bad for not knowing it.

Item 2)
    That weapon is a Recon Dart gun. It fires short-lived sonar darts that detect enemy motions for a brief period of time. If you are paying attention to your minimap, they are those circular pulses you see everywhere.

Item 3)
    I can't really advise for gunplay; the default guns actually aren't bad on any of the three factions. As a Vanu your ROF and damage are middle of the road though, so aim for the head. The Time to Kill (TTK) in Planetside 2 is lower than most First Person Shooters - comparable to "Hardcore Mode" in most games. He who shoots first and hits the head most wins.

Item 4)
    The easiest ways to get certs as a new player is to play engineer. As an engineer you can drop ammo packs for your friendlies, repair damaged maxes and vehicles, and shoot up enemies. Use the certs you earn to max out your Medical Tool; the faster and better revives help you get more points faster, and helps your team alot too.

What to spend them on is personal preference however. I prefer Zoom optics, but most people run Thermals. Could go through every module on vehicles here.

Item 5)
    Chat works like most MMO chats. /squad change to your squad channel. /outfit for outfit. Ect.
    • Up x 3
  3. BULLET010

3) In general, I find that many weapons have a fire rate of 750 or 652 rpm @ 143 damage.
    750 - does more damage, more bullet drop, more recoil, decent at close to mid range
    652 - does less damage, less bullet drop, less recoil, decent at range

Note that there are many weapons where this doesn't apply. But I typically like
    to create at least two loadouts per class. One with a hard hitting weapon and one with a ranged weapon.
    So that way I can do the rambo thing or resort to guerilla tactics if I have to.

Also, fyi, some weapons can be used across classes.
  4. Cz4rMike

3) most of default guns are just fine, practice in VR in watch how your movement affects accuracy! You're most accurate when being still ADS (and i think when crouching, your Cone of fire is smaller). Also don't shoot before you're in full ADS or your CoF will be as when non-ADS!

5) to cycle through chats use Ctrl+Tab. Also you can using following commands (there is an ingame tutorial / info for this i think, you need to do your own research, also i may be wrong in some of this stuff):

"enter" to start typing
    /ss text - for squad chat
    /os text - for outfit chat
    /y text - yell chat (everyone sees)
    /t playername text - personal message to someone
    /r text - reply to the last guy who sent you message, other way to reply fast is pushing "backspace".

Also if you push alt, you can activate cursor and then copy, insert from/to chat etc. Also if someone sent you a message, you can right click him and there are options like add to friends, block, invite to squad etc. Other way to invite to squad is to type /squad invite playername. I think typing /help command will show info for the command. Other useful thing is when you look at friendly - push and hold Q - there will appear some options on your screen.
    • Up x 1
  5. Corporate Thug

You can press alt to bring up your mouse pointer and select the chat tab you wish to interact with or you can simply hold ctrl and press tab to cycle through the tabs.
    • Up x 1
  6. Inex

It's the "Why Infiltrators are useful" gun: short lived radar that put enemies on the minimap. Point it at the general area you expect enemies to be, and bask in the glow of free XP as your allies gun down the <insert faction specific derogatory term>.

The default guns for VS are almost universally good, and usually in people's top 5 for a given class. The only exception would likely be the Spectre; swap that out for the XM98. As for why you die so fast, that's probably headshots. You aren't getting them and your opponent is: aim for the head and learn to compensate for recoil.

If you want passive certs from a Sundy, just get the first rank of Deploy Shield and deploy near a big fight. If there's an armor push, then even rank 1 of Repair or Resupply can bring in a good stream of XP while just tailgating tanks.

If you want to get into vehicle combat, that depends a lot on whether you have reliable gunners. Starting out I'd probably start off by certing a Harasser. They're cheap and effective even when solo. Either a Halberd or Saron, and a few ranks in Stealth forms a nice bedrock, then just grow from there.
    • Up x 1
  7. Razzyman

Hey Mak, welcome to PS2. Others have covered a lot of the questions you asked. I did want to add something about your medical gun as well. Invest certs into it as soon as you can, the higher you cert the med tool the better it becomes. It revives people with more health, will allow you to revive them from further away, and revives them faster each time you increase the rank. The last rank is expensive (500 certs, not so expensive for experienced players, but tough for newer ones), never doubt the worth of this last rank, you rez people much quicker and easier, so get to that ranks ASAP.

Another suggestion is to make sure to top peoples health off after reviving them. People get upset if you revive them and leave them at low health. You can hit your class abillity (F key by default) to quicken this process, it puts off a healing aura around you that heals any allies in range and yourself. This ability can also be certed into to make it stronger, another thing you should cert into.

Something that some people don't realize at first. Each time you fire your weapon you show up as a red dot on enemies mini map if they are within 40 meters of you (This can be modified, you show up further away when using a compensator, or not at all if you use a suppressor). Be mindful of this, as if you stay in one place shooting for longer periods of time other players will flank you and kill you from behind or the side. This can be used to your advantage too, watch for enemy dots on your mini map to see if someone is flanking you. Also, as Mezinov pointed out to your question about the infiltrator dart gun, once that dart lands it begins to ping a signal that will pick up enemies in the area, if they are within that pulsing circle that shows up they will show up on your mini map as a red dot. This goes the other way too, if you see an enemy dart (Mine all show up as red for enemies and blue for friendly darts) realize that if you are within that circle you are showing up on enemies mini maps and they know where you are (This can also be mitigated by implants, but I wouldn't worry about that till you get the basics of the game).

Check out that video from Wrel, he's done a lot of videos that are very helpful and that one is great for when you first start. Hope all this helps. There's a lot to PS2 and it takes a while to really get settled in and understand what's going on, don't get discouraged and stick with it and you'll have a blast playing. :)
  8. Mak25

shouldnt high rate of fire has less bullet drop atleast thats how it was in battlefield and made more sense
  9. Mak25

i certed the lightning 1 rank for auto repair and mowed alot of infantry down but ill cert the harasser as u said and the sundy
  10. Mak25

yea i made it to battlerank 16 and got the hang of things a bit ... snipping is not the best at what i am cqb and medium is more prefferable is there a way to play aggressive infiltrator and a gun for the same
  11. Mak25

thank you all for taking the time off ps2 and helping me out its appreciated alot ...
  12. CapEnTrade

"[Suggestion] Help a New player out"

[IMG]
  13. OptimusPrime1234

Help a New player out

-If you see the red guys in the dune buggy with a gatling gun:

RUN

RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK

GET TO DA CHOPPA
    • Up x 3
  14. CapEnTrade

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  15. HAXTIME

Yeah, seems like an SMG would suffice. Even though Submachine-guns cost 1000 CERT points each, there is a Fresh Meat Starter Pack that includes an SMG (that you can use on all other characters your create as well), a pretty decent all-around Camouflage, and an XP-Boost for a whopping total of 2$.

I bought that as a lvl 50-60 I think, and it's one of the best purchases in the game, since SMGs on their own cost 7$ each, if unlocked with Station Cash. You do not only save 5$, but also get the aforementioned Camouflage and XP-boost.

Also, there is a 100 CERT Sniper Rifle that we refer to as "Bolt Action"-type here (in your case as Vanu, the power-core has to be pushed into place between shots due to excessive heat generation from the powerful shots), which is the XM98. If you can hit the head, it's almost always an instant-kill. Another 100 CERT points allow you to push the power-core without exiting zoom.

In general, tips that I can recommend or which I followed on my Vanu alt:
    • Unlock base reflex-sights for weapons (most of them cost 5 CERT points only)
    • Get the XM98 if you want to try yourself as sniper (100 CERTs)
    • Unlock the Restoration Kit to heal yourself in combat (30 CERTs, can be used by any class, utility slot)
    • If the fight is bad, as in you have a naniteload of overwhelming enemies and you just die a few seconds after you spawned, pick another fight. It's a losing ground.
  16. JudgeNu

Oh?
    You are playing VS?

As I have stated in another similar thread I will reply similarly.

If you role Medic, always have tool out and point it to the sky.
    If Engie? same as medic.
    Infil? use your Dart gun, you can point it anywhere just don't cloak.
    MAX? meh...switch to infil.
    LA? Best way is to fly straight up to the Zenith.

Hope this helps!
    C-U-N-Game!
    :)
  17. Iridar51

Seems your questions have been answered, so I'll just refer you to my PS2 Game Guide to answer questions you might have in the feature.

This guide is tailored specifically for the beginners, and has lots of useful combined info from different sources. Link is in my signature.
  18. Cz4rMike

Nice links in your signature!!!!! Very nice!!!

High rate of fire or ROF has nothing to with bullet drop, ROF is how often the bullets exit your gun. Speed of projectile has to do with bullet drop. Same in Battlefield.

I'm playing 1x agressive sniping with BASR (bolt action sniper rifle; it's TSAR for TR, Ghost for VS and ... something for NC). If you hit heads, it's one shot / one kill (unless it's shielded Heavy). But it requires a lot of practice and great aiming ;)