[PROOF] Chaingun has SLOWER TTK than CARV almost always!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CapEnTrade, Jan 9, 2015.

1. xMaxdamage

Lemme throw my two cents
    I'm a solo player always ramboing in the front line, that kind of guy that keeps jump-podding into a group of enemy attackers just to weaken the stream of capping toons in my base (farmers will wait for my easy killmark instead of rushing the base, and most of the times I get a couple of kill before falling to death)

MCG and lasher are my main weapons, got ~10500 kills with t7 and ~4500 with the X2.

If you asked me which gun is better, my reply would be the lasher with no doubt.
    Lasher is just good for a reason: it has an absolutely freaking small hipfire CoF, and AoE damage makes that tight cone even stronger.
    Now, I dunno why when I play Tr every lasher I meet seems to try to headshot me or use the gun like an lmg. The lasher is the worst weapon of all if used that way, but it's absolutely amazing if you shoot at the hostile's feet, hipfiring from 0 to about 20 meters. You just can't miss and AOE + direct hits will eat the hostile health in no time.
    Call me mad but when I'm using my lasher I absolutely know that if I'll meet an hostile behind that corner I will just hipfire spam on his feet while adadad spam and WIN the gunfight 8 on 10 times. I'm gonna lose versus extremely good players that land head shots even on a 1X moving target at cqc, and I'm gonna lose versus those HAs that have all of these qualities: Very good aim, very low ttk weapon, full hp, full nano/adrenaline, max certed flak armor.

Don't buff the lasher, I'm pretty sure that the ppl who main this weapon and know its real "hidden" power in 1 vs 1 don't want it too. It would be just too good with more rpm.

Even if I love my lasher, I like the TR style more, and I think a chaingun is the most fun thing you can use in any shooter, so I choosed to main the MCG, even if the weapon has really few reason to be picked outside its "fun" and dakka qualities, which are the clear selling point for the weapon.
    The mcg is not to be used by ppl who search a competitive weapon, ESHW are not supposed to be the best all-round HA weapons, they are supposed to fill niches, and the niche of the MCG are the players that use it even if it's not so good in competitive 1 vs 1 gunfights.
    My only concern with it is that for a gun designed to waste bullets in such unique ways:
    While spin-upping
    While shooting corpses due to high rof
    While shooting when you are dead already waiting for the server to tell you, again due to high rof
    Compensating for low accuracy with more bullets fired
    Compensating for low damage head shots with more bullets fired

This weapon can absolutely not have the same bullet profile as rhino or EM1. The mcg simply waste bullets doing everything and it deserves more of them, compared to guns that have no fixed CoF, no spin up time and no 1.5X HS dmg multiplier.
    The huge bullet drain is also why I almost never use BRRT, a gun that fires all the bullets in ~7 seconds and reloads on more than 4 seconds has just no sense if it has not the ttk of the carv.

Giving the mcg a 300/300 bullet profile for the ex mags
    A 150/450 profile for the stock/darklight/laser version
    While keeping the brrt versions as it stands now would give also a reason to actually use laser sight, now there's none.
    • Up x 1
  2. NCstandsforNukaCola

I feel easier to kill when I caught off-guard with MCG than CARV
    MCG may lack ttk than CARV but it has mobility and requires no trigger technique.(and still has fast enough ttk)
    You just aim and click, kill confirmed.

I don't see any buff necessary for MCG.
  3. Takoita

In my experience, the main problem with MCG is as follows:

It is a close-range weapon that loses out against all other close-range weapons (and a good deal of not so close-range ones) in a direct shootout most of the time.

Ergo, it either needs to shoot things dead better or needs some other niche for itself. Otherwise it will remain a novelty gun with no practical reason to use.
    • Up x 1
  4. ComradeHavoc

Is this a new thing with the TR now? you're trying to whine-buff already balanced if-not already advantageous weapon. Go ahead, get yourselves a little, tiny op-boost, so when the Nerf hammer comes around it hits you harder.
  5. Kunavi

ComradeHavoc funny how you comment on what is already happening when the Forums QQ against everything TR and every TR change proposed to get us on par with the rest of you. We have had tiny OP boosts we didn't ask for, NERFED now. And they continue to do that either directly or indirectly by changing other Factions' stuff. And I do expect Vulcan QQ getting it wrecked. Plus, let's not talk about what SOE thinks is "Buffing" the TR. Look at that Striker, LOOK AT IT! Or when they introduce new stuff? For the TR that statement is a TRAP. No pun intended. At all.

I've really tried to love my MCG but in the end it just doesn't work- And really now, arguing it gives you a benefit against MASSES OF ENEMIES? Wut. Control your fire with the other LMGs, same result. Be more accurate. Get some cover. Or is the MCG the perfect Suicide Soldier weapon meaning we shouldn't buff it? :p What kind of logic is that, benefit against masses of enemies FIRING AT YOU with much better weapons?! I don't even!... /Case

And NO I won't PREFIRE THIS THING because that's the equivalent of wearing HardLight armour in the open.
  6. IvanCGray

Well, if the AMP RoF is too high, just give the BRRT MCG the same RoF as the Lynx.
  7. Nogrim313

cough lasher....
  8. FrozenCustard

Also another suggestion, what I felt it is lacking as a suppression weapon is the ability to wind up the barrel like the TF2 heavy with right click. Of course it's downside is your moving at a slower speed while doing so.
    • Up x 1
  9. CapEnTrade

This was a very interesting read. Very true, the Chaingun does waist a lot of ammo.
    I agree with your latter points where you suggest 300/300 for extended mag, and more for default though I'd not go to 150. I think this makes a lot of sense.

I'm curious, what is your take on upping the default RPM to 845ish and to 900ish with BRRT?
    • Up x 1
  10. IvanCGray

Yep! ^ Like I said, give the BRRT the RPM of the Lynx.
  11. Jackplays17

You didnt do this correctly. The chaingun is NOT Supposed to be used like that. How I Use the chaingun: Spin it up, pop around corner. You NEVER Spin the gun up when you see the enemy. The carv is better to pop around, begin shooting.
  12. Ragnarox

MG this forum is 99% infested with TR guys demanding nerfs and buffs. Pathetic.
  13. TriumphantJelly

At least it's not Reddit, which is literally 60% TR :p.
  14. xMaxdamage

honestly, increasing the RoF would make this weapon more like an LMG, and I don't think this should be the path of any heavy weapon. due to fixed CoF even with a RoF of 1000 every other weapon in the game would win in a ttk contest, so I dont see any reason to modify the MCG in order to reach something it cant reach by design.
    If you want a weapon that can win on 1vs1 without pre-firing you should avoid the mcg IMHO, it simply is not its purpose.
    on the other hand, increasing the ammo for the stock and ex mag version would give to the weapon more uniqueness, right now the chaingun is a gun designed to waste bullets and it has the same bullet profile than every other high capacity NC/TR LMG.
  15. BobSanders123

There needs to be an alternate fire mode where it doesn't fire until it has reached full spin up. A nice buff would be to also increase the max RoF to 1000.
  16. AlterEgo

Sure.

After the Lasher gets a buff as well.
  17. SinJackal

Not sure if anyone else said this since I didn't read all the replies. . .but obviously the MCG has a slower TTK from a cold start than a gun that's tied for the highest DPS in the game for an LMG. So yeah, gee, it's not quite as fast as the highest DPS LMG in the game. . .from a cold startup. It isn't supposed to have a higher TTK on a single target from startup. Completely by design.

Of course, that isn't the point of the MCG. It's to have higher DPS against GROUPS of enemies. . .which is does have. You completely ignore that fact with your post. It is not a 1v1 tool. It is a room clearing tool/suppression tool. It does it's job just fine.

It should not be buffed to also be a 1v1 weapon better or equal to the Carv, because then why bother using the Carv since you can have a Carv that does the same DPS and also shoots faster the longer you hold the trigger down? Let's not start getting all spoiled for unnecessary TR buffs now because SoE overbuffed the Vulcan on their Harrassers when they should have been left as they were.
  18. doombro

Spinup time on a primary infantry weapon is just dumb.
    • Up x 1
  19. doombro

To be fair, the lasher deserves a rework. At the very least, its splash should work like the PS1 lasher's does. It should be firing big bursts of lightning, not little mock-grenades.
    • Up x 1
  20. AlterEgo

PS1 Lasher...
    I loved you:(