Change Terran Weapons.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlterEgo, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Rovertoo

I want to see the VS get an orb blaster thing, it would shoot a glowy death ball that would bounce madly around inside a room until it detonates!
    • Up x 1
  2. Kazune

If only that were true. I'd let go of the "no bullet drop" benefit if it meant we get ammunition that actually acts like plasma.
  3. BetterFasterStronger

Lasers have the speed of light, and practially doesn't drop. How's that fair?
  4. SilverAMS

Laser? no, thanks i prefer a solid bullet... maybe if TR use caseless bullet instead of normal bullet that would explain why we should have a higher ROF... actually, lore speaking, i don't understand why we Terran should have the higher ROF... our weapons must load a bullet, then shoot it and then eject the cartridge case... it would be better without a cartridge case so we load and shoot a bullet without spend time ejecting the cartridge...
  5. Kriegson

How would lasers have drop? And if they don't have drop, then what do the Vanu have if TR has lasers and no drop?
  6. stalkish

If we look at the lore then TR using standard ammo compared to NC's gauss and VS's plasma makes perfect sense. Remember that at 1 time all 3 empires were the TR. The VS were the science and research side of the republic, whilst the NC were the corporate business and money side.
    If we imagine how this ecomony worked before the war outbreak we see this:
    1. TR(NC) corporations give money to TR(VS) scientists for research.
    2. TR(VS) scientists (before the discovery of Vanu tech) create, refine and perfect gauss technology. The corporations who funded this research then hold the patents on these devices and also ownership of the factories that are now mass producing this new tech, therefore holding all the keys to gauss weaponry
    3. Civil War breaks out and the old Terran Republic splits into 3 parts. The ones loyal to the old government and the TR military stayed as TR, the corporations broke off and formed a seperate movement now known as the New Conglomerate. The science and research guys, since discovering ancient Vanu technology and mastering rebirth, have had their funding reduced so that the NC can fund their war movement, infuriated by this and the rest of societies unwillingness to comit to the advancement of the human species the science and research guys decide to form their own movement, the VS. The VS decide to utilise a technology that has only recently been made viable with the help of old Vanu weaponary, and was intentionaly kept quiet from the NC overseers - plasma, they belive that this advanced tech will help them win the conflict.
    4. As soon as the NC is formed they decide to restrict access to their gauss factories since they believe they will then hold all the keys to superior tech and that will allow them to win the war.
    5. Learning of all this, the TR leaders turn to the only place they have left, the extremely large storage of old style ammo they bought with them on the space expedition incase they ran into hostile aliens. The TR leadership , made up of government officials and military generals from the old republic, realises this war will last a long long time since rebirth had been perfected and all 3 empires had access to it, so they decide the most efficient thing to do would be to continue mass producing the normal ammo and weapons. Bein tried and tested tech for 1000s of years, the speed these weapons and ammo can be created is vastly superior to that of the NC and VS, so TR overlords decide to ramp up their rate of fire in the hopes of simply outgunning this new tech both the other empires are using.
    So what im basicaly saying is, the TR did absolutely create advanced weapons and were of course researching the next level of advanced tech, its just that the people within the republic who created and owned this tech have now split off and took their respective technology with them.

Of course non of this accounts for nanites creating everything. Could always say that the VS and NC simply kept the nanite blue-prints of their respective tech.
    • Up x 1
  7. stalkish

[IMG]
    This is an actual minigun like the TR use (the TR apparently forgot the name of it, its not called a chain gun).
    Quote from the wiki:
    ''The M134 Minigun is a 7.62x51 mm NATO, six-barreled machine gun with a high rate of fire (2,000 to 6,000 rounds per minute). It features Gatling-style rotating barrels with an external power source, normally an electric motor. The "Mini" in the name is in comparison to designs that use a similar firing mechanism but larger shells, such as General Electric's earlier 20-millimeter M61 Vulcan, and "gun" for a caliber size smaller than that of a cannon, typically 20 mm and higher.''
    The article goes on to explain how the multi barrel design allows for this high ROF:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun
    The ROF of TR guns (and indeed all guns in game) is far too low anyways tbh, so too is the bullet velocity, tank shell velocity, rocket velocity, and pretty much any other metric you can think of, it makes for a funner game tho imo.

Im no expert on guns tho, some1 will probably be able to say why a gauss weapon could theoreticaly have a vastly higher ROF than traditional weapons.
  8. TriumphantJelly

I know, that why I pointed it out when I said Lancer/Votex instead of just saying LAZORS.
  9. QuantumSerpent

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure if you meant "all those things are particle accelerators" or "all those things are lasers, and the lancer/vortex are particle accelerators".
  10. TriumphantJelly

Yeah, just realised that I wrote that in an astoundingly poor manner. :p

Any infinite ammo weapon is probably a laser of some kind, but thinking about it the Saron is a "heavy rail beam", probably meaning it accelerates particles or small clods of material/plasma (some substance) to go pewpew.
  11. AlterEgo

Would that be awesome?
    Yes.
    Would you marry me?
    Long shot, but worth a try.
    • Up x 1
  12. AlterEgo

So, 4 meter splash and the capacity to ANNIHILATE any living organism within 10 meters with a single click of the mouse?
    Well, HELL YES to that, but that would mean making NC weapons penetrate armor with their supersonic Gauss weapons and Terran weapons...
    1. Have hitscan capabilities (Using lasers).
    2. Multiplying their magazine sizes and rates of fire by 4 without an increase to recoil.
  13. AlterEgo

They WILL ALSO have drop. Considering that plasma has drop in this game, lasers will have the same, AND will not be hitscan, because screw interesting realism in games. If plasma in this game melted all enemies within range, then I would have no problem with lasers firing continuous beams of hitscan death that deal no damage at 60 something meters. Sadly, that is not the case.
  14. HAXTIME

There is not a single weapon in the VS arsenal that uses light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation to transfer heat energy to the target. And a nice "special" weapon addition could be awesome if it comes to that. Or... a LASER sniper rifle instead of the TRAP. Sustained fire with no effective recoil (maybe some shaking to make it balanced) and direct damage decrease over range.
  15. Smoovious

when you take into account the curvature of the planet, they actually rise up over distance. :D

-- Smoov
    • Up x 1
  16. Rovertoo

Alright, but the dowry needs to be a very impressive NC weapon! Maybe a sweet railgun that can blast through cover! :D
  17. AlterEgo

I'll ensure that we have enough certs to not only last us a life time, but to merge a plasma launcher with this very rail gun you like!
    • Up x 1