14-26 FPS [CPU] - What's going on?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Code_Spent, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Code_Spent

Hey everyone, I know this has been asked countless times here, but most of them just give me little hints, or are version specific, or just the person asking for help is arrogant claiming they shouldn't have to tweak & blah blah leading to absolutely no resolution soo.. I'm hoping some details I can give you can help determine what exactly is causing this.

A lot of people recommended many different configuration (INI) setups & tweaks that should heighten performance for the CPU, yet none worked for me so I just blew out the ini file for now & will tweak as you guys suggest.

There was also talk of using ThrottleStop to keep the CPU from throttling, however, its not longer throttling & still consistently giving me only 14-26 FPS (never goes higher than that regardless of graphics settings). My temperatures are pretty low too (ranging from 75 C - 84 C). I can't even play on Low in big battles, & that's never been an issue before. I haven't played in months, but I've never had issues with the CPU before.

Here are my specs:
    Code:
    CPU
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Model                : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
    Logical cores        : 8
    CPUID                : GenuineIntel family 6, model C, stepping 3
    Tjmax                : 100°C

GPU1
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Display device       : GeForce GT 750M on GK107 GPU
    Display driver       : 347.09
    BIOS                 : 80.07.9d.00.07
    GUID                 : VEN_10DE&DEV_0FE4&SUBSYS_380017AA&REV_A1&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0
    Multi-GPU role       : master
    Registry key         : \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{5E5CE300-1820-4758-A333-49690D5526A3}\0000

GPU2
    Display device       : GeForce GT 750M on GK107 GPU
    Display driver       : 347.09
    BIOS                 : 80.07.9d.00.3d
    GUID                 : VEN_10DE&DEV_0FE4&SUBSYS_380017AA&REV_A1&BUS_7&DEV_0&FN_0
    Multi-GPU role       : synchronized with master
    Registry key         : \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{AD460618-6190-4281-AD61-BAFB55652BDF}\0000
    If you need any more information, just let me know!
  2. user101

This version of PS2 is not optimized.. and you now need a min of 8 GB for memory for 64 bits. You should be a lot better than 14-26 FPS. Turn off shader cache in the video driver menu. Turn off all AA and buffering also in the driver menu. Set your frames to 1.
    See if that helps your FPS.
  3. Smagjus

Am I seeing a SLI setup there? SLI doesn't work very well here so you should turn it off for a try.
  4. Jac70

I think the performance is worse since the latest patch. I have noticed times when play becomes noticeably choppy and my fps is showing 40-42ish. As for your system, it's raw core speed that makes the difference. What you're looking for is a CPU that has the fastest per-core performance, that's why the i5K's are seen as the best chip for PS2.

If your CPU limited you could probably turn up some GFX settings and it won't hurt performance, it 'may' even help a little. Keep shadows and particles low as they have an impact on CPU. Other than that keeping your system free of unnecessary background processes could help a little - stuff like virus checkers, monitoring software, updaters etc.
  5. Dragam

"My temperatures are pretty low too (ranging from 75 C - 84 C)"

Those temps Arent low by any Means... however, they Arent critical either.

You have low fps, due to low cpu clocks, as most other laptop users.
  6. Code_Spent

I thank everyone for their replies, but I'm looking for a resolution here. I understand everyone is quick to just blame the clock speeds & the fact that it is a laptop, but logically speaking that is not the issue. My roommate is running the same game, with very similar settings with a 1st Gen. 2.16 GHz Pentium Quad Core, that being said if he is receiving 40-60 FPS I should receive similar if not better.

This is not an issue with my hardware, so lets turn our focus more towards configuration, & game-specific issues. Though I understand that with a lot of you using much higher quality equipment your first conclusion is to blame the setup, but I assure you that is not the issue here so please no responses unless it would actually benefit a resolution.

In response to @Smagjus, yes, it is an SLI setup with dual 750m's, but PS2 can't even touch SLI, I don't even make it passed the menu without issues haha.

@Jac70, I've tried your suggestions & it seems to be working a bit better, but now I'm getting random drops that make no sense. Even with my render distance set to minimal (so I know its not something in the background), at the warpgate it spikes between 1 - 60 FPS which is weird..
  7. Pointyguide2

your framrates are not normal
    make sure in the NVidia control panel that planetside 2 is set to open with the NVidia card.
    also download hwinfo and run it and see what cpu clocks you get in game. run the game in window mode for this so you can have hwinfo in front.

also try these settings
    preset everything to mininmum/off and then do this turn textures to ultra render quality to 70 % v sync on and set the game to full screen mode not full screen windowed and also use your native screen resolution.

also your temps are perfect for a mobile cpu.

if the above doesn't work then go to planetside 2 folder where its installed and delete graphics.ini and useroptions.ini and also go to NVidia control panel and restore every to default. there is a text at top right corner that says that.
    also go to windows power plan setting and change setting to balanced after that restore the balanced profile to default. you can do that by clicking change plan settings.
  8. user101

Your room mate my have the router prioritized for his play....? That would kill your FPS. Assuming that is not the case...?? HAHA
    If your encryption is set to high on a wireless router that can kill your FPS also - encryption slows down data through put. Use the lowest encryption worst encryption you have. Always use a hard wire cable for PS2 to the router if you can.
    If you run a wireless keyboard or mouse that will also kill your FPS in some cases.
    If you have PS2 audio channels set to max that will kill your FPS also (30 ) max.
    If you have PS2 on the same drive as your system that kills your FPS. (2 drives) causes hitching with one drive
    PCiE high end audio cards just suck the life out of PS2.
    Make sure you have all the port forward numbers in the router the ones listed in the forum are not all of them. Read the FAQ for all the numbers.

8 core cpu's need to be water cooled....!!!

I have an i7-940 (quad) and run 100 FPS at the warpgate. GTX-470 (BR100) So with 2x 750 you should be at least 100 FPS.
  9. Gammit

What the hell did I just read?

OP: network issues will likely not cause what you described
    • Up x 2
  10. user101

You would be wrong in this case....! Every thing I have written I have also tried to see if it made a difference in PS2. Been doing this since beta....

Network issue came about because of Netfix vs PS2 data stream... wife wins in that case... !
  11. baka

Good suggestions above, I'll start with some obvious things.
    Unless something has changed in the game (they would probably not tell us!), Shadows and Flora will likely be the biggest drains, followed by effects quality.
    Make a copy of your UserOptions.ini, the paste these settings in the correct places:
    Code:
    [Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=3
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=6000.000000
    RenderDistanceScalar=0.600000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=1
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=1
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=1
    ParticleLOD=0
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    MotionBlur=0
    VerticalFOV=55
    UseAspectFOV=0
    Smoothing=0
    GpuPhysics=0
    AO=0
    BloomEnabled=0
    VSync=0

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=Off
    Lets see what your FPS does after a play session. Some of those settings I found posted long ago and they don't hurt - so maybe they help! Yes, some of those settings are in reverse intuitive numerical settings...

If your play improves, try GraphicsQuality=2 for a while. Then maybe 3.
  12. user101

Routers --- This is one thing people never think about --- the encryption of routers cause lag in the game because is added extra data to the original data stream of PS2, the bigger the data / better the data encryption the more lag you have in the game because of the
    extra big bunches of data that have to be decoded by YOUR PC... coming from the router.

Your CPU has to also do most of the data decode and that's just that much more CPU time used by your PC that is not allocated to PS2. To a quad core it makes a difference so much so you can see the results on the screen in lag time.

This is why a hard wire cable is better no encryption is needed. PS2 takes a lot of Bandwidth, I have 3.0 DSL and that is not enough to run Netflix and PS2 at the same time. Netflix takes about 720K PS2 take more than 1 meg in bandwidth. My 3.0 is ATT hacked to 1700 all the time, it is just not quite fast enough for both to run with out some 10 FPS that happening from time to time.

The speed of the router encryption can also be a limiting factor in some case... slow encryption by the router can stop the game. My Netflix is wireless and by upping the encryption level it slow PS2 down a lot even though it is hard wired.

Hardware of routers counts in PS2.... as far as lag and speed.
  13. Aldaris

Nope. Everything you wrote is absolute hokum
    • Up x 3
  14. user101

I don't want you working on any PC's..... ! So taking 32 bit data from PS2 and adding 128 bit encryption produces 32 bit data from the router...? I don't think so....! HAHA..! Only people that know nothing about PC's think this way.
  15. Smagjus

1. That would only increase your ping or cause package loss. Else: Source needed.
    2. If we are not talking about the router's CPU - Source needed.
    3. "Kill your FPS"? There are driver bugs that could cause that but apart from that the resulting performance loss should be unnoticeable. Source needed.
    4. Partly true. It often costs FPS but "kill" would be an overstatement.
    5. Can cause stuttering, yes.
    6. Source needed.
    7. This has nothing to do with performance and should only be done when dealing with corresponding G-errors.
    8. Completely irrelevant here and even does more harm than good if done carelessly with current AMD boards because of the missing airflow around the VRMs.
    9. We are talking about GT 750M without proper SLI support. Your comparison does not work out.
    • Up x 3
  16. Konstantinn

It's a 4 core cpu, i7 uses hyperthreading, where each core can process 2 instructions at once, so 8 virtual cores. Unless you overclocked it i7 doesn't need any kind of water cooling, stock fan does just fine so long as you applied the heatsink paste correctly. Paste starts to come off/dry off with time. Too much you get a bad seal, too little you get a bad seal too, it's weird. It will also spin down on its own when temp getting hot and automatically run at lower clock speed, that's called turbo boost on intel processors. It's hard to damage one, unless you try really hard.

Check your windows experience index just for the hell of it by the way. Very underrated tool. Just type in "check windows experience index" in run or search. See what score it comes back with, might have to tell it to re-run the tests. Scale is from 1-7.9. Checks your processor calculations per second, memory ops per second, graphics with Aero 2D, Gaming graphics 3D (that's where your GPU comes in play), an disk transfer rate (SSD will give you 7.9 score).

If something is failing and you used to get 7.7 and now getting 5.0, you know there's a hardware issue. This can help you localize it somewhat.
  17. Aldaris

And I don't want someone thinking routers kill FPS, that wireless components also kill FPS, that audio cards, which take audio processing away from the CPU (albeit negligible amount these days. Same goes for sound channels), somehow kill FPS, that PS2 being on the same drive magically makes things worse (it doesn't. I've always had PS2 on the same drive as the system) and all the other absolute guff you wrote working on a PC.
    • Up x 2
  18. Sabreno Carvaroni

For me personally toning down render distance/quality substantially increased performance. I roll with 800(m) render distance and 0.75 quality, looks pretty blurry, but eh, 125 fps. Aircrafts start rendering at 1000m, so that value is optimal but I mostly play as infantry so I'm fine with value lower then that.
    Also you might want to remove any sort of physics and shadows in-game settings, set texture quality to max. Maybe give planetsides process higher priority via windows task manager.
  19. Pointyguide2

network wireless or wired has no effect on performance. except ping lower is better.