All infantry weapons half-off: what to buy?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Indulg3, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Indulg3

Hi guys,
    Long time on-and-off player, don't have too many hours into the game, so I still have almost everything locked.
    Getting back into it a fair bit, and one thing has still not changed: I prefer infantry combat to vehicle combat.
    That being said, today PS2 is having a 50% sale on all infantry weapons.
    Is there anything that I should buy that is useful on all classes across all characters? I was thinking that one revolver-like pistol that reloads as half-circles on both sides of the gun (don't know the name). I think it belongs to NS, and I see it used over just about every other pistol, so if I ever make a TR or an NC account, I'll own it there.
    Anything else I should maybe get?
    Since I lone-wolf most of the time, I play mainly LA, Infiltrator, and Combat Medic for dem certs.
    Thanks.
  2. Leftconsin

The Underboss is outstanding. Don't be fooled by the Commissioner's higher damage, it has a lower rate of fire and longer time to kill than the Underboss. If you get it with station cash it will be available for every class on every character on your account.
  3. Jac70

I'm sure the Underboss is great and it and the Commissioner are well worth a purchase. The Commissioner is a man's gun though :eek:

On paper the Underboss is probably the more rational choice but it's a ******* Commissioner FFS. One of the most fun weapons in the game and one that rewards aim. If you can't aim don't buy it because it will get you killed more often than not.
  4. LodeTria

Are you a VS? If so get the Lancer. It will allow you to reach out and touch tanks, airplanes and with some practice even MXes at very long ranges, longer than any other infantry weapon in the game.
    • Up x 1
  5. Crayv

The Boss is rather underrated, though the Commissioner's ability to one shot infils on a headshot is also nice... personally I think I have killed an infil on a one shot only a few times now.

Other NS weapons are also a good choice, no matter what faction you play there will be a nice familiar gun for you to use.
  6. Indulg3

Yes, I am VS. Sorry, should've mentioned it in OP.
    Lancer seems very interesting, but my HA is my least-played class. I'll take a look at it though, thanks for the suggestion.
    Can someone explain the difference between Underboss and Commissioner? I'll do my own research for sure, but you guys seem knowledgeable too.
  7. GoyoElGringo

I wouldn't use the commissioner for fall-back weapon to use during primary reloads. The rate of fire is just too slow. Actually, before the crossbow I would have said to use the commissioner if you are using a shotgun for longer range stuff, but I now prefer the crossbow for that. And the crossbow+knife is basically a 1 shot melee attack, if you don't have a OHK knife already.

So I'd say look at either the underboss or the crossbow. Obviously if you only want a revolver, then that rules the crossbow out, but I think it's an awesome weapon. I use it for a secondary with my HA because I find having radar darts to be extremely handy during long reloads, or just checking an area for sneaky farmers, and for my primary as a stalker infiltrator.
  8. Jac70

The difference between the Commissioner and the Underboss is rate of fire and damage. The Commissioner fires slightly slower but does more damage whereas the Underboss can be spammed a little quicker but does less damage. Like I said on paper the Underboss is probably a better choice but we are talking very small margins here and the Commissioner is just so bad ***. The Commissioner can one hit kill an Infiltrator with a headshot.

I went with the Commissioner and enjoyed it a lot - just Auraxiumed it today.
  9. breeje

have a look at the NS weapons they are all good and useable for all factions
  10. z1967

LA: VX-6/7 is apparently really good. Heard mixed reviews about the Zenith. Pulsar-C is apparently really good. Rest is either easy to cert or really meh. Also, some shotguns like the Baron, a PA shotgun of your choice, and the Pandora are must haves if you like shotguns (which work well with the Light Assault).

Infiltrator: Grab a Sirius SMG and the Parallax Sniper rifle. The rest is all flavor stuff that you could pick up later.

Medic: Terminus and HV-45 are the two options you want to look at. If you don't have the NS-11A then grab the CME or the NS-11A. Both are good from what I have heard.

Pistols: Commissioner and Underboss are great pistols to have. Commissioner can OHK puny Infiltrators within 10m and 3 hit all classes at pretty much every usable range. Its the VS's best pistol.
    • Up x 1
  11. Inex

Off the top of my head?

If you want the Commish, get the fresh meat pack instead - it's even cheaper than 50% off. I run Spiker for the humiliation factor.

Otherwise:
    Second Burster arm - Infantry AA, and NS to boot.
    Lancer - Long range HA anti-vehicle.
    Ghost - The only bolt action you'll ever need.
    PDW if you really want an NS CQC weapon, otherwise I'd go with Eridani.
    Deimos if you want the hate tells.
    Lasher - Better than the flare gun.

Beyond those, most other options are either cheap, very highly specialized, or both.
  12. 1Mio1

The Crossbow is a good choice since it gives you new ways to play the game. You can use it w/ detect bolt to scan foe, use it w/ explosive bolt to harass tanks or do xbow&knife combo quietly.
  13. Golconda

I only play HA but I would recommend the zenith carbine, it can be equipped with advanced forward grip for outstanding accuracy while ADSing or with advanced laser sight for hipfiring, and has a nice 0.75X movement speed multiplayer (most weapons have 0.5X).
    it just seems the weapon that one could buy and use for thousand of hours, doing with it different things as he understands how to play different roles. versatility at its best.
    if you don't like the zenith for some reason and want a more "unbalanced" weapon, you have two choices:
    if you want pure dps at close ranges, sacrificing a bit of said versatility and gaining a slower recharge time, grab a serpent.
    if you prefer attacking from medium range, the pulsar C is where to go.
  14. _itg

The Commissioner has the advantage of a much longer 3-shot kill range and a better chance of killing shielded heavies. They're both valid choices, depending on your needs. I'm currently using the Commissioner on my stalker loadout. With the new 2x scope, it's pretty much a pocket scout rifle, and I can get double-tap kills out to stupid ranges.
  15. Leftconsin

As a panic weapon the Underboss is better, which is the main function of a secondary weapon in this game. If you want something that is like a half-primary that you can use as a stand alone, then yeah, the Commish is good at that. As is the crossbow... sometimes. Personally I do use the Commish as a compliment to shotguns. The choice got a lot better with the inclusion of sights on the two revolvers. Its gotten easier to reach out and get people at range when I'm light assaulting with an Uppercut or Claw.
  16. Elsewhere

I too mainly play infantry with my only foray into vehicles being a Sunderer and occasional Skygard.

I would say that what you buy will largely depend on how many alts/characters you have. I have created/played/deleted more characters than I can remember, so the things that I bought with SC were mainly based around being able to be used by all alts.

NS11A - Possibly my favourite gun in the game because it just `feels` right and Medic is my most played class
    NS11C - Due to covering 2 classes on every faction and is very versatile.
    NS7PDW - For 199SC the `fresh meat` starter kit, it gives SMG access to every faction and class in a single purchase.
    NS15M - Because I unlocked it with certs on my main, liked it, and wanted it for every alt.
    NS Commissioner - Because global unlock account wide.
    Engineer Vehicle Turret - Again, global unlock account wide.
    Skyguard - Because it was 99SC (or even 1SC) in the Christmas 2013 sale - and again, global.

What that means, it that every character I have, has access to a good selection of weapons, and I can use my certs for unlocking suit slots, ability slots, weapon attachments and such, rather than grinding 1000 certs to unlock weapons (I can still do that, but it means I have weapons that I like *now* rather than by the time I get to BR20+)

Of course YMMV.