[Video] - Zerg bypass

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Mustarde

A short video showing how a few squads can easily leapfrog over a clumsy and larger enemy to take territory and push forward during an alert.

I'm using the Nyx, with goldem beamer, recon darts and ammo belt.

I was going to narrate this footage but my recordings all felt redundant and distracting from the action so I just let things be. I hope you enjoy this type of footage and pick up a few ideas to try in your own squads and platoons!
    • Up x 3
  2. MasonSTL

"Relivable position" God I wish more people did this. I am always in chat telling people if they run out too far i'm not going to follow them. They they run out, get killed, and hate tell me.
    • Up x 3
  3. zaspacer

First off, it's good to see a full vid on this, showing how it's done and its effectiveness.

Second, I'm glad you continue to post vids, and keep them in a way that tries to impart some information to the viewers. Keep it up. :)

Third, I'll comment on the concept of Smaller Hardcore Organized Squad(s) vs. Larger Casual Unorganized players.

It's not really that hard for Smaller Hardcore Organized to get results vs. Larger Casual Unorganized players, especially if you use good tactics and pair it with the right units. Like ReNz0r's current thread ("Stopping a TR zerg with one squad - Zerg Control"), it would be better if you stated this shows how Smaller Hardcore Organized Squad(s) can trump Larger Casual Unorganized players explicitly up front (you mentioned "clumsy", but don't really tackle it's small hardcore vs. large casual).

As Trebb posted (with a Video link) on the first page of ReNz0r's thread, OP tactics to derail Larger Casual Unorganized players have previously been available with just a single player in the case of the pre-nerf AV Mana turret. SOE simply has set the nerf reflex level such that it takes at least more than a certain number of players in order for it to be "ok".

For me, this speaks mostly to the huge edge SOE gives Squad/Outfit play. Extra great tools, (comparably) great communication, etc. It's an SOE culture thing that they love "private small teams" and they skew the consistently skew their games toward them (I was lectured about this by Bill Fisher while working on an MMO for a spinoff from SOE, and it has been obvious in their culture between at least EQ and PS2). This become horrible in PS2, because it derails the Massive Team of the Faction (and its potential), in favor of a playgroup smaller than the Team size you'll see in many regular FPS (I ran with bigger organized Teams in Battlefront 2). I don't think SOE wants to give non-Squads viable communication or them as a game focus, but they could still default link the communication of all Squads (regardless of Outfit) together on redundant niche channels, so that players would all be in Squads AND all be linked up in a massive Faction team (or sub teams broken down by location, unit type [Air, Armor, etc.], etc.).

I appreciate the notion that players can access Smaller Special Squads to accomplish special tasks. That's neat to have in the game. But the game now has Smaller Special Squads that flat out trump Larger Casual Squads without much problem, and doesn't have to do it in a limited niche way or with limited niche results, it just trumps them. I personally prefer the play environment of the early days of PS2, where huge Teams just swarmed out of Sunderers and fought against each other.

This Vid also speaks to Server Smash tactics that should be looked into. SOE should adjust the game such that Server Smash (aka optimum organized tactics) isn't just Inafntry and some Air transport/utility. They should rework their game and reward and requirement systems such that Combined Arms makes sense. At this point, it's only casual play or hardcore players messing around that bothers with using Combined Arms.

Also, the tactic in the vid can be done (with mixed success) with a single player (competent with flying ESF) in an ESF. Just fly over a zerg that has to travel a long distance to the next base (or is still in siege phase of a base that requires time to get to its Cap poins), land by enemy base's Cap point(s) and take them. Even taking one point will lock the zerg out of being able to Cap a point in the new base. If you have good A2G on the ESF, you can often hold a decent enough number of enemies from even getting to the enemy base Cap point to retake it if the point is over open terrain or the Cap point is exposed to the air well. Bow up their Vehicle Terminal with Nosegun to keep them from spawning any Lightnings, and knock out any A2A Turrets you might need to before taking the Caps.
  4. Get2dachoppa

Kudos to whoever quoted Spaceballs

....and you paid SC for a Beamer? Seriously?
  5. Dinapuff

Given the lack of other things to spend SC on I am not surprised.
  6. Pineapple Pizza!

3 questions:

1.) Why do you have that tacky camo trim on that beamer? o_O

2.) How did you obtain CommanderSheppard?

3.) Are you ever going to do a video on clearing out max / medic / engi from a point? This one was great btw :D
  7. Mustarde

I won the golden pistol code off of a twitch stream back when the devs were giving them out. But it does make the weapon FABULOUS, and I unironically think the beamer is a great gun (and perhaps you can see why in this video).

1) I think the above response explains the trim

2) I made him a peanut butter jelly sandwich

3) Next time I capture good footage of a point clear I will see if I can make something of it. But usually when an enemy is dug in with maxes and support, a bunch of grenades and rockets will usually give you enough wiggle room to start killing their softies off. The main thing in those situations is killing the spawns and reacting with enough time to clear the room. It won't work if you start the process with only a minute left on the cap.
    • Up x 1