recommendation of upgrades to my gaming rig?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zhengy4, Dec 28, 2014.

1. zhengy4

playing PS2 but when battle in huge number this rig laggggs me like helll......

Being a 34 year old dude with 2 daughters I wouldn't say I would put crazy money into upgrading my rig, but at least make it somewhat playable with reasonable money invested.

Currently graphic is set to ultra low, still lag like hell during huge battle.

The game telling me that my CPU is the bottleneck.

spec: AMD FX-4100 OC to 4.2ghz
    vid: AMD 6870 1gb
    ram: 1200 4gb
    hd: 7200rpm seagate 1.5tb
  2. BobSanders123

Might want to get more RAM. Thats about all I can say.

[calling Black Dove to save the day]
  3. BlueSkies

Disclaimer: This is very old information, not sure if still valid

A long time ago in a land far far away, one of the devs mentioned that at the lowest settings the game will actually transfer load from the GPU to the CPU. So, maybe try out medium or low?

also, more RAM

also also, maybe run some diagnostics to make sure everything is working properly
  4. Vango

And the sad thing is its an AMD platform.

Sadly planetside 2 simply doesnt run all that well on an AMD CPU,and changing to Intel would require buying a new CPU + motherboard,and even after that you will be short on RAM,that you will have some issues finding a 2nd block of,and if you dont,the new one you grab might not be compatible with the current one(never seen 1.2ghz ram)...

The GPU you currently have should be fine with ps2,assuming you never ever see the GPU marker next to the fps counter in the lower left corner of the screen.

I suggest trying some soft tweaks before taking the upgrade route
  5. Borsty

More RAM as a start yes.
    Ingame, on the bottom left, next to the FPS counter. Does it usually say CPU or GPU? Upgrade what it says there first ;)
  6. BlueSkies

7. breeje

8 GB ram to start
    next month new graphics card
    i recommend: AMD radion R9 270
    and the month after that: an new possessor
    i recommend: AMD FX6300
    this will be an nice budget computer to play PS2
  8. AlCohonez

setting stuff to ultra low isn't advised

check out this link: http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/planetside-2-tweak-guide#1

after reading this I actually got like 10-20 fps more, although I've actually increased the settings overall (and switched some stuff off altogether). Also, people had a lot of good results with tweaking render quality (5-10% can give you already quite a boost to frames)
  9. GoyoElGringo

Yeah, more ram, assuming you're using a 64 bit OS.

If the game is telling you that the CPU is the bottleneck, then you probably need a new one. You do need a better one, and a better GPU. I don't know anything about AMD, but hopefully a newer CPU works with that socket.
  10. Tommyp2006

Well 8gb ram should be standard for any gaming computer. So upgrade that first, plus it's cheap. Then, when it comes to Planetside, there is no such thing as a CPU that is powerful enough. That really needs upgrading. Upgrade both your motherboard and processor to get an intel CPU if you can, or get a FX8350 and overclock it if you want to keep the cost down. Then worry about your GPU after that.
  11. zhengy4

yeah, I saw [CPU] all the time, so I need a CPU upgrade maybe, switching to Intel isn't financially advisable which means new motherboard, reinstalling OS(headache)..... I will try upgrade the RAM first, would 8gb be suffice? I only play like 1 hour /day then running household errands.
  12. St0mpy

sadly you need everything ... planetside treasures intel cpus, baulks at amds, a decent i5 quadcore around 3.5ghz or more is ideal, to enjoy smooth battles while looking good your card needs to be a 280X/770/970 and up (depending on whether you like team green or red for gfx- either work really well), 8gb ram with nothing else large running will be fine just to be sure get a single 8gb stick (instead of 2x4) so you can add another 8 without a drama if need be. An SSD is ideal too, I have the Public Test version on my mechanical drive and the main game on my SSD and its night and day for loading times (cross continent as well as startup), name brand 128gb units arent that expensive now.

My System:
    PSU: Antec 520W (High Current Gamer, +12V@40A continuous, Seasonic built)
    CPU: Intel i5 3570K (currently at 4.2Ghz)
    Mobo: Asus P8Z77-M (uATX, PCI3.0, 1x Legacy PCI)
    RAM: G.Skill TridentX 16GB 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
    VID: Radeon R9 280X (3GB)
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB (o/s, installed progs, all caches)
    HDD: 9TB WD (1x2TB + 1x3TB, general storage & media, 1x4TB full system backup)
    Sound: Asus Xonar D2 (7.1, DDL/DTS, Midi)
    Case: Silverstone TJ-08E Temjin
    Screen1: Benq XL2720Z 144Hz 27" 1080 TN
    Screen2: Dell 2408FPW 60Hz 24" 1200 IPS

Its not tremendously new and I could certainly throw more cash at any component but its stable and guarantees me 40-50fps in massive fights, 60+ in really large, 100+ in skirmishes with most settings on ultra without breaking too many banks.

hth
  13. WUNDER8AR

FX 6300 or perhaps the 8320 and more RAM. Stock 8320 here (3.7Ghz boost) I'm getting mostly around 60 FPS with drops to a min of 35 in the largest of all battles at high settings and 2k render distance (8GB 1333Mhz, GTX 670). Preferably you want to go Intel but if you're on a budget and your mobo already sports the socket for a higher end FX processor it'd be reasonable to stick to AMD. With some overclocking you can easily get the 8320 to 8350 level, likely even further. A decent mobo and sufficient cooling is recommended though. Perhaps you want to consider getting a prebuilt water cooling system like the h100 later down the line. I'm on a decent aftermarket air cooler in a airy case and at max load I'm already almost scratching the 60°C mark.

Alternatively you could try to get your hands on a second hand i5/i7. Ebay or have a look at some tech forums there might be subforums where people sell used parts in good condition for cheap.
  14. Inex

Which is probably why setting your graphics to "Ultra Low" isn't helping. ;)

Beyond that, I definitely agree with the more RAM. I'd personally bump to 16GB, but 8 is probably OK-ish.

I'm not super familiar with either your budget, or AMD processors. But I would think bumping a gen to something like the FX-6300 would be fairly affordable, and according to benchmarks, probably help a bit with your CPU bottlenecking.

All told the two upgrades are maybe $250, +/- some shipping.
  15. uhlan

If you want a good PS2 gaming rig, try and emulate the PS4 as best you can.

To be truthful I don't know how good this would work, but since the code is designed for that console, might be worth the try.