Let's Talk: Movement Meta :

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Alarox

We're talking about stuff like this:

It isn't as bad as it used to be, but if your connection sucks enough you can still warp around.
    • Up x 7
  2. RoofLurker

here's a little something to illustrate the issue:

this kind of erratic movement (aka movement meta?) seems to occur when people have bad connection quality.
    imo the only solution is SOE fixing the game so that it disables you when you're lagging,
    so you can't just warp around and kill people.
    i saw this in-game a few days ago.
    some inf was warping around, going through terrain, etc. , teleporting in front of me and killing me at some point,
    so i PM'd him about his lag and he responded that he sees everyone lag around and that he'll try to re-log.
    • Up x 3
  3. Crashsplash

I must admit I didn't see anything wrong there, the guy was moving left/right while shooting but I didn't see any warp or teleport.
  4. Klypto

Your joking right? That's as fast as sprint speed if not faster.
    • Up x 9
  5. Alarox

You see people in ADS with a 0.5x speed weapon moving faster left/right than people move while sprinting?

Anyway, you can still see obvious warping in that video. Here's the slowed down version.

• Up x 5
  6. umbrellapower

Few people on Forumside actually give a **** about the impossibly tiny "competitive" community, give it up. We kept saying we have members who can reproduce it, but AC was so bent on incriminating Therum that had to resort to breaking the EULA to use NetLimiter (lol). Recursion's mindset has always been one of sticking to what we do best, which is organized platoon ops. We have 100+ members, the fact that we went into a 6v6 tournament is asinine. To add, the fact that these #MLGPRO outfits have nearly as many members yet insist on "competitive" play with numbers that are only one more than competitive CS/MOBA levels is laughable.

Having competed and been a part of some of the most "toxic" communities out there, PS2's is a joke. The toxicity doesn't come from name-calling or trolling in this scene, it comes from unwarranted arrogance and egotistical belief in one's own dominating superiority, the byproduct of a community that is far too small for its own good. To see AC and their ilk receive massive amounts of analpain was priceless and worth far more than any potential victory.

P.S. - anything that comes out of KidRiot's site is worthless at this point. All he does is latch onto whatever outfit he deems his favorite. First it was NUC, then FCRW, now it's AC with predictable results. Hope all that hanging out in their TS paid off and you get to suck some of them off IRL, KR.
  7. Alarox

The irony of this. I don't know who is right or wrong in all of this drama, but you just put this section in the middle of a post where you trash everyone else to make them seem worse than you guys.
    • Up x 5
  8. WarmasterRaptor

The last time I heard about any "movement meta" was about weapons with .75x modifiers and the Magrider strafing. :\
  9. umbrellapower

You're right, it's ironic. However, there's a key difference. We trashed AC, the darlings of Emerald, who trash everyone else they deem inferior. The IRL cuckolds in AC have made cuckolds out of the PS2 community and it's downright pathetic. If that makes others see us as morally arrogant, then sure, whatever. I'd be more distressed if those who hold AC in high regard view us in the same way, as it might imply that we share some qualities in common. No thanks.
  10. Renuse

Anyone can easily reproduce this "movement meta" that has been recently coined. It's fricking running back and forth at an angle and having situational awareness. The game itself also has pitfalls in terms of rendering and lag, so the hit boxes and character models plug into this as well. If you really think it can't be reproduced or you can't figure it out I'll be more than happy to tell you in a message or show you. I doubt however that 99% of you all will actually be able to use it effectively.

This has nothing to do with time on test server. Besides practice, it takes over 2000 repetitions to make something muscle memory, and to get it right it must be perfect practice, and you need to be using your brain.

Nothing to do with net code or wtf ever is happening.

And nothing to do with hacking.

SOE is "quiet" about this simply because it doesn't matter. It's legit. Go figure moving fast and knowing what to do in a firefight makes you hard to kill.

Lastly. This is coming from someone who has played plenty against therum on test, live, and so on. My outfit is literally on the opposite side of all of his favorite factions, and we have a lot of people who enjoy playing with or against him. We all recognize the skill and practice therum has put into the game, and even though running back and forth has been in the game since day one, he has managed to take it and make it the "therm shuffle." Props.

So back off. Therum is a great guy, and he's got a sharp mind, being on the other side against him will be a challenge. Just accept it.
  11. HadesR

Please can we not turn this into a thread about X player or X outfit ..

It's a topic about the movement and it's right or wrongs not about who does or doesn't do it ...

But could the term " movement meta " also be being coined now as the new excuse for lagging ? ... I ask as in those from Briggs in the convo this morning .. They are playing from Aus > USA which could result in a slightly higher ping in some cases , and when mentioned that someone was lagging it was " movement meta " .. Coincidence that the meta in that case was coupled with someone who might have high ping ?

Now I'm not asking for ping limits or complaining about people from Aus playing on Connery .. Happy to play with and against them :)

It just in my mind brought up a few questions about the validity of the phrase being used ..
    • Up x 3
  12. GoyoElGringo

That's so obviously faster than people can strafe in the game, but I can't figure out how that could be associated with lag. That doesn't look like any lag I've every seen in any game. I'm gonna call hacks on that one.
    • Up x 5
  13. pnkdth

It is footage from 2013, back when ADADAD was a real problem. No idea why it is being brought up again.
    • Up x 1
  14. Inex

It doesn't even have to be lag. Because they way you move on your client doesn't entirely match how you move on other clients. For one, movement isn't handled in the digital fashion you're used to having. In a vehicle, you're used to having some momentum. Applying the brakes takes time, and we're mostly OK with this (see: Analog Throttle for the Sky Knight's attempt to overcome this mechanic).

When walking though, we expect instant reaction to our inputs. Imagine if you were walking up to a ledge and stopped just before walking over, but your avatar took an extra step and fell to your death. You'd be a little pissed. That kind of movement looks like *** however, so the animators put in blending animations so that other players don't appear to be performing the bone-snapping acrobatics we've come to expect from a FPS.

This opens up a hole for ADADancing to exploit though. When you suddenly change direction (say, strafing left), your movement and position on the server change accordingly. Your animation however lags behind slightly as it tries to convey to other players a realistic change in momentum. If you change direction again before it's caught up (for instance, strafing to the right) then you can create a persistent disconnect between where you are, and where the server is saying you are.

Eventually the server gets annoyed and attempts to put your avatar in the right place. It has some leeway to accelerate, or even teleport your avatar to wherever your client is saying you've moved to. If you've just been hassling the animation system by moving faster than it can react to, then maybe you only seem to strafe really quickly or 'blink' a few feet. If you've been lag wizarding, then you might sink through the floor or walk through a barrier.

This is also the principle behind medkit chugging. You can see the strategy in most high level play when they take unexpected fire.
    1. Point down and turn away from the fire: this causes your avatar's head to drop "behind" your chest and almost eliminates the possibility of headshots.
    2. Shake the mouse back and forth rapidly: Get the right frequency on this, and the animation system completely loses its ****. The server can't keep up and will be constantly accelerating your avatar a couple feet back and forth to try and maintain parity between your reported and actual positions.
    3. Enjoy movement prediction: If there is any lag in the chain between you and your opponent, then movement prediction on your opponents client will kick in and enhance the effect. You'll start actually blinking around as the three systems (your client, the server and your opponents client) yell at eachother trying to reconcile where you're actually standing.
    • Up x 9
  15. Alarox

Exactly this.
  16. GoyoElGringo

Well that is pretty messed up. I'm not quite convinced that we are seeing the system bug out or lag compensation in that video though, especially after watching a video of a hacker who could fly at will. But the medkit thing sounds like a serious problem(though not something I've actually seen).

Also, the analog throttle doesn't make stopping any faster, it just makes it more reliable and convenient. You can stop just as fast by holding reverse, but for some reason that doesn't like to work every time.

So that is how ADAD used to work?
    • Up x 2
  17. Alarox

It technically works the same way, just less severe.
  18. Alarox

• Up x 2
  19. IcEzEbRa

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but several times in past couple of weeks, examples...in esf shooting enemy esf, registering hits, enemy esf just disappears, then I'm taking fire in the *** from thje same esf which is 200-400 meters from where I was just shooting it.....they just blink out of existence, and instantly re-materialize in an advantageous position..same with a few infantry experiences, etc. But this can't be more than 1-2% of my gameplay time, usually, grapics and gameplay are just fine, so this has made me wonder what going on.

I thought might be my vid card, but doesn't seem to matter what settings I use. But this type of phenomena only seems to be one player among many, at any given time. Even though I seem to have some intermittent hitching in big fights atm, seems the effect visually is everything, not just one enemy player or unit.
  20. pnkdth

Yes, but thankfully it didn't last too long and only the most MLG of the tryhards abused it. Overall, it was deeply frowned upon.

I guess that's why people are upset. Though, it must be added, we're also dealing with Emerald pride here and bruised egos.
    • Up x 1