Thoughts on: Cosmetics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Yamiks, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Yamiks

• Up x 5
  2. CorporationUSA

I'm a bit annoyed that the armor in the anniversary bundle is basically unusable. Woulda been nice if they included a non-glowing armor too.
  3. Endian

I use the glowing armour as a heavy, to try and draw fire from the medics. Seems to work, I tend to die first :)
  4. BetterFasterStronger

I also don't understand the users of lumifiber cosmetics, I wouldn't say it would've a impact on a eventual death of PS2.
    Cause most users don't use it, and this will never increase cause it's so illogical to use them.

And about the immersion aspect of cosmetics like lumifiber, I do believe it's to late to remove immersion breaking things.
  5. FateJH

I mostly see Lumifiber on Galaxies and Sunderers.
  6. Canno

I use lumufiber or gold trim on my infiltrator, because why not. :)
  7. Yamiks

this is the only instance when having glowing parts help : you are one of those rate heroes
  8. WetPatch

They make me feel sexy

[IMG]
  9. -Synapse-

I wouldn't mind all these wacky cosmetics if they actually looked half decent, but most of them just look . . . lazy. Especially the auraxium plating and hard light armor, it looks like they just took composite armor and slapped some fancy effects on it.
    • Up x 2
  10. Pikachu

Hard light armor looks nice on venu.
    [IMG]
  11. LT_Latency

It's too show your a bad *** and you don't care if the enemy can see you cause you will kill him anyways.
  12. WetPatch

Well if i going to kill someone the least i can do for them is to look classy while doing it.
  13. Yamiks

this is just stupid. I understand that ppl want to look cool, but there is cool&useful and there is silly&dumb. Yes you are free to chose and i am for it, but at some point im have to ask : do you really want to perform your own lobatomy JUST BECAUSE it will make you think you look cool?!
    • Up x 1
  14. LT_Latency

What does it matter??

I wear bright red to show I am TR. I am not scared to gun fight you because I am confident I can win. I am not hiding in a bush I am coming through the front door guns a blazing

The reality is it helps the game. The number one complaint from new players is not knowing where they got killed from. The people that wear the bright shinny Armour are all experienced players who want to show off their team colors.

The end result is we are easy for new players to spot on the battle field which makes things easier on them. We also draw fire away from the new players on our team because we will be spotted first so it makes things easier on them as well.

If you are a player who wants to try and hide this only helps you cause the people who don't care and don't try to hide while they fight will draw the most attention letting you go unnoticed.
    • Up x 1
  15. Mitheledh

Ok, a couple of things. First, I didn't even finish the video because towards the end he started going into one of those complaints that always really annoys me. You know, the whole "Why are they releasing this garbage instead of fixing bugs or something." Why is it that people can't get it through their heads that these things are from the art department and that the people in the art department are artists, not programmers! The programmers are fixing bugs and working on game play mechanics while the artists are making new models, textures, etc. The features that are doable without help from the programmers are the easiest and will therefore be more plentiful.

Second, from the amount of lumifiber and holo armor I see running around, it's quite obvious that a lot of people do not share the OP's perspective. So you don't like it? That's fine. However, it's clear that a lot of people do.
  16. WetPatch

When i'm leading my Squad i like to be front and center glowing teal and pissing off victims.
  17. Pouk3D

Planetside 2 severely lacks a sense of good taste, or even a remote acknowledgement that terms as "taste", "style" or "sensible" even exist. ...well, I learned to live with it. It might have been a game that actually looks good (by that I mean art style, not high definition), but sadly it's not.
    • Up x 1
  18. Yamiks

Yes i agree with you, but tell me : would this game be better off it devs kept putting out goofy and silly things like these. Lets say on every patch they bring about 3-10 new items like these(camos including)..would PLANETSIDE be acceptable for you?!
    (personally i make TF2 comparisoon too offten but it's just too good : see TF2 at start for me was boring, then they put in some weapon variety and i liked it : tons of hats might have been bit overboard but it FIT tf2 style and athmosphere DOES PS2 cosmetics fit?! i think not!)
    • Up x 1
  19. LT_Latency

Saying that ALL units are suppose to have bright team colors on them not matter what cameo they where, I don't see the difference. The models are made to always have at least some bright team colors showing.

Only VS dont notice this cause they unfairly didn't have to wear team colors for a long time.
  20. Mitheledh

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me at all. I have my helmet that I like and I have a few camos that I like. Ones that appeal to my sense of aesthetics. And yes, I have my holo armor, too, that I wear. Others have their own sense of aesthetics and that includes these "ridiculous" things. Them wearing them does not negatively impact my enjoyment of the game. I'm still having run running around shooting things. That doesn't change just because the person looks like a Christmas tree instead of a shrub.