Things you think are balanced.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Atuday, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Atuday

This is a serious discussion about things people think are balanced. This is not for sarcasm. This is not an attempt to start arguments. This is for people to say what they think is balanced and why.

This would be best done by saying what exactly happened to make you think the weapon is balanced.

Mine for this thread is the current build of the PPA on a magrider. Please note I am vanu so this affects my opinion. What happened to make me think this is balanced. While fighting at a base against the tr it turned into a siege. The infantry couldn't push past the shields and the wall and we could not push out. My squad mate and I spawned one base back and pulled a mag with default gun, front armor, IR smoke, and a ppa with no mods. We drove to the siege and basically ambushed the infantry outside the walls and ignored the vehicles. My gunner got 8 kills and several assists, I got 4 kills and several assist. This let our infantry push out of the base. The TR adapted and jumped into their sunders. They used bulldogs to push us back. When they brought out a prowler to support their infantry we had a hard time getting kills but because we used team work, communication we were effective. That said in the end we did lose the battle. They had more numbers, adapted to what was thrown at them and pushed us out. Props to the TR that was there, they were good players. Had they not been we would have won hands down due to the force multiplier.
    • Up x 1
  2. desktop

The PPa and marauder are equity powerful. The canister shot is ok, it could use a few more rounds before it has to reload but these weapons are all somewhat close together while keeping faction diversity.

I'd say the airhammer is still balanced despite the recent banshee nerf. Its more powerful than the mossie and scythe AI weapons at point blank and its the best at anti air. I think it sacrifices range for versatility and its a very difficult weapon to use in its optimal ranges vs air or ground.
    • Up x 1
  3. JudgeNu

An Olympic Gymnast.
    A Domino.
    Geraldo Rivera's Moustache.
    Grandma's soup.
    Digestive tract on an elephant.
    A tightrope walker.
    A square meal.
    Planetside2.
    • Up x 2
  4. Lifodd

sunderer deploy shield: it does exactly what it should do. it was not too powerful or too weak at it's introduction.
  5. bl33ping

vulcan is finally in a good spot.
  6. CorporationUSA

Amen to that.
    • Up x 1
  7. _itg

Come on, if a mustache EVER needed nerfing, it's Geraldo Rivera's.

I'll say OHK knives are balanced. If someone manages to get that close to you with a weapon that doesn't work beyond arm's reach, they deserve the kill.
  8. CorporationUSA

Agreed. This is a what a balanced mustache looks like:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  9. z1967

Lynx and Jag are pretty balanced as far as carbines go. TR ARs are fine. Minigun is in a nice place as well. Lightning AP could use a single QOL change to make it OHK aircraft, but it is balanced against ground targets.

Really, these threads are pointless unless you want to establish a baseline for balance,
  10. REZistance

Alex Trebek and Tom Selleck say Geraldo Rivera's mustache is balanced.

dammit, someone beat me to it.
  11. FBVanu

IMHO.. tank game.. MBTs and Lightnings.. are more balanced than ever..
  12. Atuday

I do think the mini gun is in a good place. Do I like fighting against people who know how to use it? No. Do I get killed by it a lot? Yes. But it does what it should. Same with the lasher. It does what it should. I would like to try a closed 10 v 10 perhaps on the test server for how equal they are when used with the correct tactics and teamwork. Then again that pulls away from the chaos of battle in planetside 2.

Underbarrel shotguns are good as is. So is the smoke grenade launcher and the damage is good for the regular grenade launcher.
  13. Pelojian

I disagree, all they've made is camping even worse with stalker cloak. OHK knives are cheese at least with previous knives you had a chance if the attacker didn't have enough finesse to swipe twice quickly enough.

i had a guy camping a terminal with stalker cloak, i spend the next 5 minutes looking for him getting killed by his OHK knife, i walk around hear the cloak sound turn around, dont see anything then i turn back the way i was facing = DEAD.

OHK knives are like tanks VS infantry if you don't backup and there's a guy with a knife comnig at you at 10m you are dead unelss you can kill him quickly.

explain to me how such cheese is balanced?

previous knives were balanced, if you had finesse you could gt a quick kill, now one hit and you win and your target doesn't have any chance if you snuck up on them.
  14. _itg

I take it you never ran into a good crossbow user. The bolt+knife combo is essentially an OHK, and that's been around for ages. Plus, there are more than adequate counters to stalkers already, including OHK (or 2 body shot) pistols, like the Commissioner, the flashlight, and EMP grenades.
  15. Atuday

I think the ohk knife is fine. I see cloaked with it all the time and keep getting hate tells from them. They really don't like it when you walk around with a dark light lasher. If cloaks are a problem for you then grab a dark light. Trust me you learn to love the little guys.

I also like the current build of smgs. I keep seeing people try to use them against my carbines and die because they can't hit. Plus if I'm too close then I'm dog meat.
  16. AlterEgo

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  17. AlterEgo

Spiker. That thing... OH. That thing. Charge mode is AWESOME, it's a gift from God! Burst is meh, the charge is the only thing I use. So much damage, so much range, and SO. MUCH. PURPLE!:D
  18. AlterEgo

I was killed by a Prowler today...
    So what you say is irrelevant and must be nerfed.
  19. Xind

Shotguns, SMGs (really close), Assault rifles, Sniper Rifles (I don't think they belong in the game, but from empire to empire they are even), ESF (as compared to each other, not for instance against infantry), and Lightnings which are quite good but not ridiculous.
  20. Turiel =RL=

Things are technically balanced if every empire can do it.

For instance in PS1 airplanes were technically balanced, because they were all common pool and every empire had the same airplanes.

This doesn't mean that airplanes were balanced against ground vehicles or infantry, BUT that's a problem with player behavior. If people insist on choosing less powerful options they should not complain about not being powerful enough.

For the sake of argument, let us just assume MAX units would be too powerful. The result should be - desirable or not - that everyone will play a MAX and those who are playing something else, are making a technical mistake.

Back to PS2....

Airplanes are not completely balanced, because there are empire specific planes that not only look different, but also have totally different characteristics. Same goes for main-battle-tanks and for empire specific weapons on Harassers. MAX units are not balanced, because every empire has totally different ones and the same goes for infantry weapons. Classes are balanced of course, since every empire has the same choice.

In a nutshell: Since Planetside 2 is all about emphasizing the difference between empires, the whole game centers around imbalance! While this is certainly cool on one side, it has a drastic effect on the competitive state of the game on the other side.

Right now there is an easy way to detect imbalance: Stuff that people are using most, is usually either overpowered or at least the best option available. In this game, like all others, it is all about survival of the fittest after all.