Getting flamed for playing Infiltrator, especially sniper

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by 7evenGhost, Dec 9, 2014.

1. miraculousmouse

Well shotgun light assault is 100x more OP than cyclone heavy assault. Idk about shotgun heavy, usually a shield isn't much of a problem compared to a dude swooping behind me, killing me in .2 seconds or something and then flying away. At least my teammates can mop up the heavy if he somehow gets me ;)

Shotguns in general are pretty ********. Even in extremely low TTK games like Call of Duty the R870 (pump action shotgun) is OP as **** in how it can one shot you when you're 10 feet away. In a moderate TTK game like planetside shotguns are the spawn of Satan when it comes to cqc. Way too overpowered.
  2. Turiel =RL=

Snipers are somewhat of a pain in the behind. You wonder what their purpose is, except from picking off people who are standing around while looking on the map.
  3. tornflags

If that's all they do, why would they be the pain in the behind?
  4. Turiel =RL=

It's tough to see the purpose of snipers other than being annoying, because they basically kill people who either respawn instantly or get a rez anyways. Snipers don't really accomplish much in a positive sense. They just rack up kills without really changing the outcome of anything. In some way they are like birds that do nothing but **** on people's heads.
  5. Plague Rat

That's a bit of an over-generalization, and something similar could be said of any class really. It ultimately depends on what kind of sniper you're running into.

It's a bit dismissive to assume all snipers do is take out the stationary and other targets of opportunity, but I can see how the misconception might develop since those kills always seem to be the only ones that invoke the most ire. You almost never hear it from the LA sniped as they were jetpacking between roof-tops or the passenger sniped out of a Valkyrie. It's always the ones that are engaging from what they thought was an advantageous position safe from retaliation, in which case the sniper kill is unexpected, jarring, and in the face of their tactical choice (and acutely a little hypocritical given the circumstance) while I imagine the guy typing in his chat box or checking his map in the middle of open ground doesn't like getting caught with their pants down or feeling stupid because of it either.

The problem is sniping takes time to actually get good at. A good number of players, the ones that grab their rifle at their whimsy or to counter-snipe, tend to never developed the technique to frequently engage the elusive and mobile. And really, why would they put in the effort if they only run it a few minutes at a time? Others still just want to get kills with minimal risk of death and will want a huge range buffer to avoid retaliation, so focusing on the stationary and slow moving offsets the extra difficult that comes as a result. So it's no wonder people see this as how snipers engage because it's probably what they themselves do when the play it.

But then there are snipers for whom it's become their preferred role in the game. Once you build your skill and confidence, waiting for and relying on targets of opportunity simply becomes boring as hell. Time spent watching battle flows and troop movements almost inevitably develops a better sense for where their bullets will have the most impact for their team, and how to position themselves accordingly to do so. Priority and threat bring more weight to target selection and barely half a damn is given as to whether or not they're moving. The contribution at that point is, at that point, probably no different from any other class on the battlefield.
    • Up x 4
  6. Akashar

Sniping is good with me, that's hard enough. People who go cloak+smg or banshees on mosquitos are the reason why we can't get nice things.
  7. Souleater

That's true.

Thinking about it I'm less annoyed by the guy that snipes me from range than the guys intsa-gibbing me with a shotgun, or rocket.

Possibly because if I hear a sniper round whizz past my ear I can go crazy on the dodging and weaving. At that point, most snipers tend to give up. It seems more businesslike.

OTOH if I find myself the unfortunate target of a couple of guys in a Lib or MBT I know that they will hunt me down until they kill me. Given that there are two guys in a box I can't open I guess I take it more personally :D
    • Up x 1
  8. MisterSlim

With what we do comes hate. People have a hard time dealing with things they can't see.

When someone kills a person by running up at them with a Carbine, most people think "Damn, I was outgunned. He was likely better than me, or got lucky." However, if someone dies to an unexpected one-shot, or is jumped by something they couldn't see, or stumbles into a mine because they weren't paying attention, then their reaction will be different. They will be frustrated because they think "I was unprepared, this isn't fair! This guy is a dirty coward! It wasn't my fault that I died!".

As a note, the weapons you use can often determine the severity of their reaction. I've noticed that using a weapon like the Parallax or Ghost, I seem to be far more likely to get a hate tell than if I use the Parsec, or even the EMP/Aruaxium Force Blade combo. I'm not sure why this is. My only idea would be that their thought process is "He used a weapon that I can use to kill me, this shouldn't be, because I am the best" vs "He used a directive weapon to kill me, so he must be really good or something".

Just my two cents on the matter
    • Up x 1
  9. DrBash00

Lol.... flaming infiltrators....
    Well, everything that kills somebody seems to be op ;-)
  10. cykael

SMG infiltrating is one of the most useless and hardest thing to do as effectively as other classes in this game. It's a playstyle that's weak at farming, weak at point holds and weak at taking points. LA is about 10 times as effective at all these while being easier to play. I imagine SMG infils get hate because they pop out of invis and shoot you in the back while usually proceeding to die after that which you can't see.

I've also 10k sniper rifle kills and I've never gotten a "hate" tell just aimbot accusations couple times when CQC sniping and some more when playing with SMGs or HA/LA.
    • Up x 2
  11. Merakov

I get hated mainly by engineers and other infiltrators
    engi - "gj you killed me at my turret real "pro" of you"
    infil - "stalker noob come with hunter and then we'll se"
  12. Stinneyt

Hate tell tears are the Champagne of victory.
    I once got hate yells for getting somewhere, very easy to get to.
    I offered to tell the guy how I got there, if he apologised.

No apology was offered.
  13. Stinneyt

People would rather have another medic in the squad than an infiltrator.
    But those people under estimate the value of the intel an infiltrator can add to a situation. That value add is more when youre 10v10 taking a base. Not so much for zerging.

Also everyone you send to the cloner, is adding value.
    That person is off the battle field for a short time and they have to start whatever they were doing again.
  14. BloodyPuma

If you are long range sniper and can see "/yell"s , you are doing it wrong. They are only visible to you if you are in nonscoped render range.

Push back to 300 meters, grab a cup of hot beverage, light up cigare, and enjoy one shot popping of heads.

And remember - you feed on hate /tells ;)

As for "sniper is unnecessery". No comment. The less people know how and try, the more fun dedicated snipers have. Well placed sniper is one of the biggest force multiplayers in this game. ONE. Not 12 on the same visible hill :)
    • Up x 2
  15. Get2dachoppa

If you say so. I consider a pump action to be high risk/moderate-high reward. I miss one shot, I'm dead. I'm caught more than 15m from my target, I'm dead. If I'm ever caught in anything more than a 1v1, I'm usually dead and I don't have the luxury of an overshield to save my *** either.
    • Up x 1
  16. miraculousmouse

Lol being 15m away from a target with a shotgun is your own fault. Anyways, a few hundred exgra points of health wont save you, especially if it kills your mobility. Id rather medkit tank with LA, zigzag away and then jetpack to safety. If you're using a shotgun properly, its ******** how overpowered it is.
  17. I play by many names

I don't really get flamed. I do get at least one hackusation every time I bring a sniper rifle out tho :(
    Oddly enough its usually people that were either standing still or straight lining.
  18. Leondre

Because it's cheesy and antifun. It would be fine if nanoweave reduced headshot damage like it used to.
  19. Who Garou

My experience tells me that this is a game. It is game that has plenty of options. It's a game where it's up to the player to decide how they want to interact with the world - within it's limitations and boundaries, of course.

Some players are going to harass other players. Much like forum trolls, they are just trying to get under your skin.

I play all the classes. I don't think I'm all that good with any of them.

I think if you enjoy spending every minute in-game as a sniper, then I'm glad that you are having a good time.
    I won't like it when you shoot me in the head, but, hey, I might snipe you with a Heavy Assault weapon from farther away than you think possible, etc, and so on.
    So, yeah, if that is what you like don't let someone else tell you shouldn't enjoy what you enjoy doing, but, if you get tired of it, there are other classes to check out -- or you might want to just try out an SMG with an Infiltrator with Adrenaline Boost! The sniper is just one option for the Infiltrator class after all!
    • Up x 1
  20. iller

Never once, and I've landed dozens of headshots on serpentining players who thought that made them immune to sniping.
    Either the people I'm hitting aren't as talkative as yours, or they just don't consider us dirty snipers to be worthy of their correspondence

A prediction bot FYI, is actually much less likely to hit a player at long range doing that because the Bot always projects forward the vector difference + drop + target velocity while adjusting a little bit for interpolation latency. In layman's terms, the bot is only good if the player stays moving in the same exact direction for the scope of travel time of the bullet. That window of opportunity even on the Longshot can be between 200ms and 500ms in the ranges of 100m out to 300m and in that extreme would mean the bot would project a good 10m's too far to the left when the player had just switched directions again or slowed down.

There was a few hilarious Dalton gunning videos on Youtube infact that were using the same bot and you could see them instantly SNAP out to exactly the predicted distance needed to hit the target at that distance and when the target hit the afterburner you'd see the crosshairs instantly bug out to a ridiculous lead. Unfortunately for the targets, there's no instant turning on a dime to throw off those kinds of bots and they still see use from time to time. For snipers, there's only SASR botting where the "lead time" is basically between 10ms and 50ms to hit really close range targets. There's some great examples of it posted on this forum from time to time. ;)

THIS, I get constantly. And when I don't get it..... and I realize I've used up almost every clip of ammo I have...

LONELIEST FEELS IN PLANETSIDE... :(