[Suggestion] Infiltrators should be able to slash tires.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CursoryRaptor, Dec 4, 2014.

1. CursoryRaptor

It's not even close to fair that infils are the only class without any kind of significant anti-vehicle capability whatsoever, but since it looks like SOE won't change this, maybe they'll accept an alternative to weapons that actually damage vehicles.

Infiltrators should be able to slash tires (or somehow weaken tank treads). Seriously, there should be at least some reward for having the balls to sneak up on a vehicle as an infil, so how about something that impairs vehicle mobility? Since the infil is almost always going to die after having done this, it should be a significant impairment (like 50%). And obviously the effect shouldn't last forever, but duration of the effect should be significant (like 5 minutes max).

You may begin telling me why and how this is a terrible, game-breaking idea now.
    • Up x 1
  2. TekDragon84

Sure, have fun.

• Up x 4
  3. Konstantinn

No slashing tires or treads.... but as a reward for foolishly getting close to an enemy vehicle you can get run over by tries or treads instead. I don't even miss the PS1 days where infils could hack vehicles, it wouldn't work in this game to be honest.
    • Up x 2
  4. RykerStruvian

How come it wouldn't work? Infils hacking vehicles, that is?
  5. GhostAvatar

Thats like saying you should get loads more XP for having the balls to ghost cap a base. It takes no balls or even skill to get next to a vehicle with a cloak.
    • Up x 2
  6. TammelTR

OMG one class that doesn't have an answer to enemy armor! GASP!

Seriously the class system in this game is the number one problem in terms of balance and all issues flow from there. You shouldn't be able to do any damn thing to vehicles, they have enough trouble as it is in infantryside.
  7. Konstantinn

It would change game dynamics too much in this game, i'll list a few reasons:
    1) Bases are more dependent on sunderers in PS2, there are no convenient towers near every base anymore. Giving ability to hack sunderers would make assaulting bases much more difficult.
    2) Infils can hide under sunderers in PS2, in PS1 AMS was a brick, there was no crawl space underneath. Hacking had a sound and a very distinct beam light making sltealthers easy to see and hear even when standing on other side of vehicle.
    3) No vehicle deconstruct on demand in PS2, unlike PS1. Nor can you hand it over to anyone you want unless they're in your platoon/squad. Meaning you can't leave vehicles sitting around unprotected, you don't have the option of giving it some random friendly passerby or deconstructing it.
    4) Resource system is different than PS1, resources are individual now not faction shared depending on power. Remember how you could pull vehicles non-stop in PS1? It would impact individual players causing large disbalance in small fights, large fights wouldn't be affected as much.
    5) There are no vehicle certifications in PS2 like in PS1, so anything you can hack you can drive. Quite different in PS1, where as infil you might be able to hack a tank, but not drive it for example. Basically the openness of driving abilities is something that would give another unbalanced feature in PS2 that was somewhat controlled in PS1.
  8. Flamberge

Every class is not supposed to do every thing.
  9. JustBoo

Oh yeah baby! I can't wait for the new ability as an Infi to be able to steal the new vehicle hubcaps (with the new added sound effect of "oh shiny!") and sell them at the new (in-game) store. Certs machine baby!

Next we'll have the unfounded ability to beat prostitutes to death (in game) and sell all their stuff in the new (in-game) store too! Glad that's never been done before... oh wait. Baby.
  10. FateJH

But some classes could be able to do something.

Meet the T-REK.
    • Up x 2
  11. CNR4806

Vehicle are badly-equipped for killing infiltrators and infiltrators are similarly bad at dealing with vehicles.

I'd say the current relationship is fine.
  12. TheKhopesh

I would like to see infils be able to hack vehicles, but rather than kicking the person out and taking over, instead you're just sabotaging random wires and systems that cause temporary issues for the driver til some unseen nanite system fixes the sabotage.

For example:
    Infil hacks an MBT, now for the next 5-10 seconds said MBT is blind.
    He only gets a black screen.
    He can still move, call out, fire, etc.
    He just cannot see.

Infil hacks a sundy, now the sundy's spawning is neutral, allowing people of every faction who are in range to spawn there and use the terminal for the next 30-45 seconds, or until the sundy undeploys and redeploys.
    This allows temporarily turning the enemy's sunderers against them if they don't protect their vehicles.
    (However, attacking the sunderer during said 30-45 second period via C-4, tank mines, or any other infantry AV other than the AV turret will give high grief points, causing you to quickly be locked. While AV personnel like vehicles and AV turrets can still attack it at will, as long as it is neutral, attacking it will lock your weapons for an hour in order to keep players from abusing this.)

Infil hacks a lightning and for a few seconds the lightning suffers from random movement directions (Like being double concussion grenaded).

Infil hacks a harasser, now for the next 20-30 seconds the harasser randomly burns the afterburner, toggles the lighting, and (if there is a horn attached) sounds the horn without any imput from the driver, thus announcing it's presence loudly and regularly.

Infil hacks an aircraft and the flight controls invert (All of them. Thrust is now downward thrust, left is right, right is left, forward is backward, the whole set).
    This means if you're in an aircraft and are so very, very clueless, or abandon your aircraft for long enough that you never see or hear the infil, you're very likely to hop in and instantly pitch into the ground upon takeoff.
    So ESF's and liberators beware! Don't leave your vehicle unattended!

The one thing that should be hackable and drivable are flashes.
    They're tiny NS ATV's, and pretty much just point A to B transport, so hacking them should allow you to speed off on a vehicle.

(Obviously these don't have to be the exact things that we see, they're just my idea of something that would add strategic advantages to having infils dancing around in the crowd.)

One last thing:
    EMP grenades should disallow a vehicle from letting someone inside or outside the vehicle for just a few seconds.
    So infils can EMP the target when they hop out to repair, and now the target has to try to avoid or fight you off for the next 3-5 seconds or so.
    This would allow infils strategic uses on the frontlines of armor columns, allow them a better chance to catch an oblivious engie unaware, and it makes sense realistically.
    If the electronics in the high tech future vehicles are frazzled, the doors aren't going to open or close.
    So for a few seconds, no on gets in, no one gets out.
    Other than that, the vehicle operates exactly as it always does.
  13. CursoryRaptor

Badly equipped? Vehicles can kill infiltrators, infiltrators can barely scratch their paint (and even then, I can't even guess how much ammo it would take to kill a harasser).
  14. Thrones

Infiltrators currently have the ability to mark a personal way point on their map, then go to the nearest vehicle terminal and pull a MBT to deal with it.

What would be nice is EMP field generator that disables vehicles/huds in the AOE, but is itself destructible like a shield generator.
  15. m44v

what.

whatever, hate the infiltrator, If I see a tank I just switch class and kill it with the tools that every tanker agree are totally fair. God forbid add a mechanic that could spice things a bit.
  16. Konstantinn

Infils technically can damage vehicles with x-bow explosive darts. Not very effective though.
  17. Cookie5000

Infiltrator is suppose to be a scout, spy, and saboteur not a destructor.
  18. CursoryRaptor

They wouldn't be destroying anything. Hell, they wouldn't even be damaging anything. They're playing the role of the saboteur, which, as you just pointed out, is their intended role.
  19. JustBoo

sab·o·tage ˈsabəˌtäZH/

1. deliberately destroy, damage, or obstruct (something), especially for political or military advantage. synonyms:vandalize, wreck, damage, destroy, cripple, impair, incapacitate

Ummm.... :D
  20. eldarfalcongravtank

when i started playing this game two years ago, one of the many misconceptions i had as a noob was that infiltrator EMP grenades would be able to temporarily disable vehicles as well as vehicle electronics (engine, HUD, weapons) upon detonation close to them. i was a bit surprised they do nothing to vehicles though (well...as a tanker better for me, i guess;))

that said, slashing tires sounds so 1990s. it wouldn't fit into this game because it sounds like an act a hood criminal would do out of pure boredom. however, i can definitely get behind the idea that infiltrators should indeed be able to temporarily immobilize vehicles, be it with an EMP grenade or with "vehicle hacking" (= that is, not take over the vehicle but overload its engine/electronics so that it cannot move or use weapons anymore for a short amount of time)

it goes without saying that an infiltrator should NOT be able to directly damage a vehicle because, coupled with a cloak, it would be outright overpowered. but temporarily immobilize or disable weapons sounds fair, in my view