Horn Spam

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CrossToxin, Aug 18, 2014.

1. CrossToxin

When it is constant and following you base to base with the user seemingly mashing the button it gets annoying. So I think you are the princess as you get offended to easily when I express concern for something you probably do a lot. The G00N outfit on Emerald server spams it with 3 sunderers in one base outfitted with all different sounds. I tk them but with this new system they come back and back and its time for something to be done. Its basically abusing a game features to annoy others.
    • Up x 1
  2. GantryPengy380

In response to Wafflepancake, why would anybody want to bring back the kazoo horn? It sounds like somebody failing to play a Trumpet.
  3. Selbin

I'm with the OP, no ifs, ands, or buts. Being unable to hear the enemy coming for you or squadmates asking for help, or your platoon leader giving orders because someone is spamming a horn is not a small thing. It's one person, possibly more if they group up, harming the gameplay experience of possibly dozens of others.
  4. JudgeNu

Once in a blue moon.
    I like the skywhale horn.
    I like all the horns.
    I like Spam.
    I hate horn spam.
    I have disabled voice, so no one hears me! "M07H32 %#!!8()g Get A clue!" &*$$ @! ^^&**!!!1
  5. Selbin

Gonna go ahead and bump this again. I'm getting the temptation to send in a bug report about how much horn spam there is. Of key notice are three culprits: Skywhale, Valkyrie, and Harasser with the demonic laugh. Now, I approve of all of these horns, when used for either actual attention getting ("Hey, I've got open seats, notice me and get in!", "haw haw I ran you over", etc) but when you CANNOT HEAR ENEMIES SHOOTING AT YOU because some jackhole in a Valk is flying around spamming Ride of the Valkyries so often it never even gets to finish a playthrough before starting another, it makes me not want to play. At all. And I know I'm not alone in this. SOE seriously needs to crack down on this nonsense. Can you imagine a new player, just dropped into a big fight as a light assault, freaking out because s/he does not know what they're doing, sweating, heart pounding, then...horn spam. They get frustrated and go somewhere else. Ten minutes later, horn spam. Ad literal nauseum. If there had been horns spammed when I first joined, I would not have played for more than an hour or two before deciding the game was a joke and never coming back. Think about that, SOE. By allowing rampant, no-risk widespread annoyance, you're likely actively losing players.

Add a hard re-sound timer, put in a 'vehicle horn' volume slider under Audio, or maybe code it to act like friendly fire, and if you use your horn too often in a short period, it gets locked for a while. Might encourage more responsible use of noisemakers.

Yes, I know that people spent real money to acquire these horns, and I'm not saying they should not be allowed to use them at all. I'm saying that for $6.50 US, someone should not get the ability to perform what most MMOs would consider harassment resulting in a ban. In real life, if you have an air horn and use it to alert someone of something useful, they'd thank you. Run around a crowded shopping mall and blowing it non-stop and you'd get arrested and sent to jail for disturbing the peace. Yes, they spent money on that horn, but I've spent money on PS2 as well. And I will not spend another cent as long as this is a major issue.
  6. Erilis

Relevant: Indar Horn heatmap:[IMG]
  7. Calisai

Welp, since you decided to bump your complaint.... I'm going to bump my answer... and provide an update.

An Update!
  8. Whatupwidat

It was more annoying than the constant sound of gunfire, explosions, and NC rockets going "SKREEEEEEEE!"?
  9. Selbin

Yes, it's more annoying! Gunfire, explosions, and rockets are actually informative. Doot doo doo DOO doo, doot doo doo DOO doo, doot doo doo DOO doo, doot doo doo DOO doo, doot doo doo DOO doo, doot doo doo DOO doo, doot doo doo DOO doo, doot doo doo DOO doo, doot doo doo DOO doo, is NOT.
    • Up x 1
  10. Germaux

I never had problems with horn spam... Yeah somme drivers use it but they aren't spamming them. At least not on cobalt.
  11. desktop

Someone who pays money to honk is going to honk.

Allot.
  12. Selbin

I paid to honk. And I honk when appropriate, not ALL THE TIME. Do not say "people will be people" like it's any kind of actual answer.

Also, I now envy Cobalt. On Connery it's a pretty big issue. Just look at that horn heat map. (If that's Connery; a server was not stated. But if not, Connery would look similar)
  13. Epic High Five

You guys are going to be so excited because tonight is our weekly HONK OPS where we all get trashed and drive around honking our beautiful behorned vehicles

HONK HONK

p.s. G00N is Miller TR, GOON (with o's and not zeroes) is Emerald NC and, being affiliated with SomethingAwful, are the true goons of the internet
  14. Hajj Podge

The real problem with horns is that the anniversary horn has too long of a cool-down. Let me infinitely fart confetti as my heart desires, SOE.