ASC + NMG = I like!

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by actionpark, Nov 11, 2014.

1. actionpark

I know ASC + Resist i widly popular and also NW + NMG, but what about ASC + NMG?

Does anyone run with this? Must admit i initially went with this because its the cheapest to cert up.
    Is it viable? :) Seems very balanced and flexible for me. I like it alot. Still need last level of nmg but im getting there.

Dont really like Resist, not excactly sure why. NMG just seems better for me.

Im asking if you guys think i can stick with this setup or is it better to get used the 'standards'?
  2. Akashar

There's no real "best setup", it all depends of the situation and your playstyle, what you describe seems interesting, but I'd say you should try AS with ASC, as AS is almost a straight upgrade over NMG if you rack up a few kills. Otherwise, no reasons for you to change if you get results with this setup! Enjoy the game! ;)
    • Up x 1
  3. NCstandsforNukaCola

ASC + NMG had been my loadout even before PU02 when HA could get 2200 effective health with RS + NWA.

But now I feel it is kinda.. meh.

If you are going to use that setting, use Grenade Bandolier instead.
  4. Erendil

People pair up either ASC + Resist or NMG/Adren + NW for good reason.

The whole point of ASC is to decrease the time you have to wait before your default shield starts recharging. You're sacrificing the up-front protection of NW in order to reduce your downtime between encounters.

However, NMG is the slowest recharging of the 3 HA Overshields (Adren recharges faster if you can kill at least 1 person every ~30secs), so it's not a great match for ASC since you still have to sit around forever for NMG to recharge (45-60secs depending on the level). It kinda defeats the purpose of the faster recharge provided by ASC.

Resist is a much better match for ASC since you only have to wait ~8-9 seconds to get enough Resist Shield back to survive one more encounter, and by that time w/ ASC your regular shield has already starting recharging again too. After ~12 secs you're back up to full normal Shield and have a couple seconds worth of Resist recharged as well.

If you like the NMG shield you'd be better served by using NW instead of ASC. The faster recharge of ASC is wasted since you still have to wait for the NMG to recharge.
    • Up x 6
  5. Asageh

Kudochop runs Adrenaline Shield and ASC and he's a pretty good player in general.
  6. Ruvan

If you are using Adrenaline/NMG you don't need to use your shield every time. That's the entire point. You can press it when you want to, if you happen to need it.

The assertion that ASC has less synergy with NMG than Resist is flawed because you aren't going to be using your full shield every fight.

Edit: also, Resist versus NMG is a bad comparison. NMG is the shield intended for newer players. Adrenaline versus Resist is a better comparison.
    • Up x 2
  7. Brenold

i heard that adrenaline is faster than NMG if you can get one kill, but is this only comparing max levels for both? cause I have the second to the last level for NMG, is it proportional meaning if i cert adrenaline up to the second to the last level it would be faster than my current NMG? or does it need to be maxed tto see the benefit?

its hella expensive and I don't really main a single class so my certs are spread around..
  8. Ruvan

A maxed out NMG regenerates in 45 seconds (60 seconds default). A maxed out Adrenaline shield regenerates in 60 seconds plus 20% per kill (includes vehicles; even Flashes). If you get one kill every 48 seconds the regeneration rate of Adrenaline is roughly equal to NMG (Adrenaline obviously being a bit more front-loaded though). If you get more than one kill every 48 seconds Adrenaline is objectively superior to NMG.

However, as you point out you need to have a high level Adrenaline shield for it to be worthwhile. Adrenaline isn't worth it below say rank 4.

If you're a brand new player and still struggling to get kills, stay with NMG.
    If you're a little bit more experienced but can't afford rank 4+ Adrenaline, go for Resist Shield.
    If you have the certs you can go for rank 4+ Adrenaline, but it isn't superior to Resist, just different.
    • Up x 1
  9. Brenold

ok. I thought ASC was paired with resist shield because resist shield's additional resistance doesn't stack with NW, so you only get NW benefits when you aren't shielded, unlike with NMG/adrenaline where you get a resistance boost from NW which applies to all damage you receive including what your NMG/adrenaline absorbs?

this was something I saw in a video tutorial before which may no longer be true
  10. Ruvan

This is true. But it just means NW (and flak armour) lack synergy with Resist Shield. It doesn't intrinsically mean they have (better) synergy with NMG/Adrenaline.
    • Up x 2
  11. Brenold

so are you saying that the resistance granted by NW and flak armor does not work on damage absorbed by NMG/adrenaline shield?
    because if they do then they obviously do have synergy. and if they don't then it's still not a bad deal because after your shield is depleted from absorbing damage you still get a boost for all damage absorbed after

using resist with NW/flak on the other hand is almost counter-intuitive. The purpose of resist shield is to boost your resistance over a period of time so you take less damage, and unlike NMG/adrenaline it does not directly absorb damage and the energy it depletes only dictates how long you get the boost in resistance. If this "overrides" NW/Flak the way I understand it does, then NW/Flak would serve almost no purpose since you get the boost they provide only when the shield is off but you would ideally want the shield on whenever you take any damage. It does sync perfectly with ASC

I understand how ASC can still work with NMG/adrenaline depending on your playstyle.
    • Up x 2
  12. NCstandsforNukaCola

What is interesting is that you can get effective health 1600 with NWA + NMG in 20 seconds while you have to wait for 60 seconds to get same effective health when using ASC + NMG.

Headshots excluded.
  13. Brenold

yes but assuming your NMG and shields go down in an encounter, NWA probably becomes useless if not stacked with shields or heavy shields, while ASC while give you a full shield bar a lot sooner.

annnnd Im not really sold on the effective health if you're considering NMG, since it depletes as it takes damage as well as over time when it stays on.... so its not really 1600 the whole time.
  14. NCstandsforNukaCola

Your point is valid but I was comparing in terms of eHP
    If we consider progress, ASC has advantage for sure
  15. MiniSentrygun

And I'm just sitting here with a maxed out rocket pouch...
  16. Asageh

I am playing with this loadout for a while with my SAW S (with Adren and ASC), and it feels pretty good for solo play, and occasionally Squad play. Still playing around with it, but I feel that maybe Regen Implant and maybe some C4 may help with its effectiveness for Squad play.
  17. BobSanders123

Why would you...

I don't even...

Anyways, ASC + Adrenaline + 4 medkits + Orion = Ultra heavy. If you are low on health and someone is shooting at use medkits, spam them. Orion 0.75 ADS kill someone back out quickly and let your shields recharge. Repeat for infantry domination, not including MAX suits.
  18. MiniSentrygun

Launcher is love, launcher is life.

Seriously, it's not that bad. I play heavy mainly for AV and AA so I'm pretty satisfied with it.( it did cost a lot of certs though.)
    I use annihilator for AA and Pheonix for AV, and in total I have 9 rockets which is a lot. I can position myself in the mountains or in the bushes and snipe enemy air and vehicles without an engineer.( or just spam them for deterrence.) If I happen to survive long enough to use up all my 9 rockets( quite often with the right positioning ) I just redeploy and keep going. Extra rockets are also handy for taking out turrets and max units, especially when they are constantly getting repaired.
    Overall it helped me a lot of air and vehicle destruction that I could not have otherwise, and a lot of air deterrence ribbons, launcher farming directives and max kills. I don't know how many people use nanoweave on their HA, but I never felt like I lost because of the rocket pouch. I feel I can still win against other HAs with proper aiming and shield usage.