mixing ddr3 brands causes hitching

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by consciousvillan, Nov 29, 2014.

1. consciousvillan

i made a pose before about how i thought that my gfx card having just under a gig of memory was continuing to cause me hitching, i have since discovered it was due to the new 4 gig stick of ddr 3 being a different brand.

i realised when i first loaded up bf 3 since the upgrade and found i had a half second hitch around every minute guranteed, making it even more unplayable than ps2.
    today i took the new stick out and bf3 is now free from hitching.. ps2 is a lot better but now of course has the sorta hitching related to not having enough ram.. its better than before but shows i need the 8 gig

my original ram was corsair the new ram is kingston

the corsair is 800mhz the kingston is slower

also a bunch of other numbers such as frequency cas latency ras to cas etc were all lower on the kingston. i thought that either the system would fail or be fine with different brands.. im hoping i can get it changed but my question is..

has any one else seen this issue before and is there a way to fix it
  2. Inaccurate

Always use the same RAM. Don't mix speeds, latancy, timings, ect. Your system will only run as fast as the slowest RAM anyway. You should buy another 4 GB of the faster speed RAM (if you can afford it, or wait until you can and rock the 4 GB total RAM) and use CPU-Z to read the RAM information (speed, timings, ect) if you don't know them.
    • Up x 1
  3. consciousvillan

the guy i got it from is an independent shop and has done all the paid work on my pc that i couldnt do my self so im hopefull he well replace it when possable. i get tge feeling that if i sort this ram issue hitching will be almost totally fixed for me.. thanks 4 help
  4. consciousvillan

fixed it, moved the ram to slot 2, which is 1 slot away from slot 1, odd, but problem fixed bf 3 runs fine and ps2 runs the best it ver has.. still the odd hitch when travelling a few miles in 2 new area but guess thats just it wanting more ram and they are very breif hitches.. it also bought more of the numbers in to line so yeah got me sum ps2 with 8 gigs of ram and 99% hitch free