I am so bad at this game can someone help?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Epicsacrifice, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Epicsacrifice

Sry if I put this in the wrong place, I'm new to forums and stuff so please don't burn me and also English isn't my first language so sorry if it's hard to understand what I write :(

I have been playing PS2 for a while and have been really enjoying it, I usually ignore all the stats such as k/d and stuff like that but recently I started to value those stats and started forcing myself to play competitively changing the way i play. I get really frustrated when I go into cycle of deaths and just not get any kills at all. I usually just run with random squads and take facilities with them. Before I had a balance of getting kills and capturing objectives, now I focus solely on killing infantry and most of the time ignoring objectives. My k/d stays around .6 and rarely goes up to .7 and everytime my k/d it goes below that I just give up and quit because no matter what I do to try improve It just doesn't work.

I usually play as an NC LA and rarely any other factions. I use the default carbine that you get at the start and I have been upgrading it for a while. I use a grenade bandolier to spam grenades in choke points and stuff. Jump jets and all those other things.

I just feel useless overall when I don't do anything of significance and I use my k/d to judge if I am actually doing anything that could be helpful for my faction. Every 6 deaths it's 1 kill for me it's getting really annoying now and I'm not having as much as fun as I used to.

But if anyone out there could just provide me with some tips that could help me improve my survival and maybe my aim (i land one shot on my target before they tear me apart). I got most of the games basics down. I don't belong to any outfits and I play on the Briggs server if you needed to know that.

Sry if I didn't provide enough information.

But anyway thanks guys :)
    • Up x 1
  2. BlueSkies

If you were really enjoying the game before you started looking at your stats... stop looking at your stats.

Otherwise, just experience and practice will improve your skills. Watch what other players do in different areas of the map and learn.

Good luck.
    • Up x 4
  3. SerasVic

Wait PS4 with console auto-aim systems and you'll improve
  4. TrueGormagon

Games are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, if your not enjoying it perhaps changing your objective in the game will help. Don't let a game negatively affect your mental health.

Also remember that it takes time to improve, and approaching a situation for the sixth time with a solution that has not worked the last 5 times in one definition of insanity. Try new strategies, new approaches. Those may not work, so try some more. Learn what generally works best for any given situation.

Observe how other players handle situations successfully and learn from them. Join a good outfit where they have medics to revive you.

Well hunting infantry can get you certs and is fun, the objectives in the game are more important to the 'winning' of the game, the points, the generators, SCU's, ect. If you help your squad/outfit/faction take those then you are helping and you get xp.

If you play LA a lot then unlock the C4, because LA C4ing MAXs, clustered infantry and vehicles contributes more then solo infantry farming.

Spend a few hours at the practice range learning the recoil and the unique attributes of each weapon. Remember to move from side to side when being shot at. Keep to the shadows or the high points when inf or LA.
  5. patrykK1028

Reading that, I would say English is your first language o.0

How can you improve? Work on your aim, check how many fps do you have (low fps definitely doesnt help). Play HA. And just play, play and play. Experience is very important.
    BTW have you been playing CoDs or BFs?
  6. Firejack

If you like Light Assault watch this video from "Pintpot". He suggests an loadout to work towards while discussing the strategies to get the most success from playing Light Assault.

• Up x 1
  7. MaxDamage

Watch this guys videos.
    He has dedicated a lot of time to providing valuable information.

Some of the older videos don't contain *totally* up to date information, but there's more than enough to help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WarpathWrel
    • Up x 1
  8. MetalCotton

Try out different classes, and stop looking at stats. Grind about as an Engie/Medic for awhile, do some sniping/hacking as an Infiltrator. Planetside 2 is about capturing objectives and helping your team win, not your k/d ratio, and to hell with those MLG tryhards that think otherwise.
  9. Robes

To hell with those tryhards that think they should tell people how to play a video game.
  10. McToast

Moin

Improving your skill won't be an easy and quick thing to do. Just continue to play the game. But since you asked for tips, here are some:

1. Before we even go into the game, let's start with your hardware. Do you have a system that's able to keep at the very least 30-40 fps? Because if it get's any lower than that it will negatively affect your ingame performance a lot.
    Do you play on a laptop or a desktop PC? If it's a laptop, are you using your laptop keyboard and screen or do you have extra hardware for that?
    The mouse is your most important tool in an FPS. It's not so much about having an expensive gaming mouse, but more about mouse settings, sensitivity and your mousepad. Mattiace made some really good videos about this and recently posted it here on the forum.

2. If you like to play LA, stick with it. The default Mercenary is a great gun, very versatile. Give it a x2 optic and an adv. grip for mid-long range shooting or a lasersight and x1 optics (reddot or default ironsights) for close ranges. The good thing is that you can also use this weapon with the attatchments for your engineer, should you decide to switch classes.

3. Use your jetpack strategically. The LA is great for flanking and attacking the enemy from unexpected angles. Attack from where the enemy doesn't expect it but don't overextend. Keep moving, your mobility is your advantage over other classes. If you find yourself rarely using your jetpack and if so mostly for convenience it's time to switch to another class or you'll handicap yourself in that situation. This is not some MMORPG where you deceide to play just one class, you can just switch to another class in PS2 if the situation demands it.

4. The most important thing: After every death, take a moment to think about what went wrong. I know that you often have the urge to get into combat again as fast as possible, but if you really want to improve you have to learn from your mistakes. Did you die because of poor aim? Poor positioning? Being too greedy? Overextended? Outnumbered (maybe it's time to redeploy)? Take a moment to think about what killed you and what you could've done better. If it was your aim try to practise some burst control and recoil managment in VR. Shooting dummies in VR won't help you nearly as much as doing it against real opponents, but it's a start. If you have the PTS and a friend you can practise 1on1s there. In CS we had so called "aim_maps" which basically were only made up of two frontlines with a couple of crates and low walls. There was no other objective than eliminating the other team with superior aim. I used to practise AK-47 and M4A1 skills against bots for hours. We also played on this maps between premade 5on5s, when one guy was searching irc for enemies and the other 4 guys had nothing else to do. Simple aim-practise.
    Did you get killed because you positioned yourself poorly? Take a moment to think about it and try to use another position next time instead of getting killed in the same or a very similar spot. Did you overextend because you were to greedy? Work on getting a feeling when you can press on and when you should rather disengage.

The pilot I often fly with these days - Discostoff - records his gameplay and watches his deaths to see what went wrong and how he could've avoided that situation. If you've got a modern nVidia card you can use shadowplay to save the last x minutes gameplay as a video file to your harddrive.

Keep on playing and don't focus too much on your K/D :).
  11. BravoTangoTR

Some basic tips to stay alive and improve k/d:

1. Never stand still or run in a straight line.

2. Aim for the head whenever your can.

3. Never rush without backup.

4. Stay under cover when possible.

5. Carry med kits and use them often.
    • Up x 1
  12. MetalCotton

The guy said he was having fun, and then he started looking at his stats. I don't know what other advice to give. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  13. Movoza

It has been said already, but watch other players. Not just in the game, but youtube can be a whole help!
    The NC LA is also my favourite. I started with the shotgun mostly, to improve positioning. You'll learn how to get close to targets. Traversing the terrain in a more or less safe manner is very important, and one of the strongpoints of the LA.
    Always use the jumpjet when not in danger. If you jump into an action, it is often better to hit the ground before you shoot, or you'll be stuck with an enormous cone of fire.
    Other things is that the LA is, together with the engineer, a none frontal unit. Don't expect to win any direct engagements! They only work if the other guy is distracted or doesn't see you at first. Which is where the strength of the LA really is. Flanking and surprising. A shotgun needs close range and can be spammed. A carbine can also be used at range with ADS. Make sure you can kill him with leading.
    Hopefully of use.
  14. pnkdth

15. Robes

He said he wanted to improve, you tell him not to? Seems like a troll actually.
  16. P3STILENCE1973

Try not to take the "usual" paths to your objective. The straightest line from your sunderer to an objective or the spawn room to the objective should rarely be taken. The opposing faction (the majority of them) will be watching that path. instead, try to flank or take the long way around to the back side of any given objective. Most people in this game tend to look out the "front door" when guarding an objective. I'm usually the guy keeping an eye on the back. It's the same tactic I use in real life for hunting deer and elk. Grazing and bedding deer and elk will keep an eye on the usual down hill draws but rarely look up valley or slope. Not that players in this game behave in the exact same way, but the principal applies all the same. Predators will also usually take the path of least resistance to their prey. In this case that means a straight line from the spawn room to the enemy controlled objective or enemy sunderer etc. Flank and flank some more.
  17. Iridar51

If you're looking to improve as LA, then I have exactly what you need. Check out links to guides in my signature, unlike many videos you can find on youtube, I keep them up to date.
  18. MetalCotton

Now you're putting words into my mouth, because that's not what I said. If you stop pandering to your K/D ratio, you'll improve over time when you don't let it hang over your head and stress you the hell out because it doesn't compare to everyone else's. Help out, support your teammates, and generally keep your eyes open in-game. Planetside 2 has the advantage of being one of those games you can learn a lot from by simply watching your allies, simply because there are so many of them. Sit back, relax, and revive that teammate that just got picked off. You'll gain some valuable experience for leveling up, and even when playing a supporting role you'll still get your fair share of kills.
  19. Epicsacrifice

Wow thanks guys! Never thought replies could come so quickly, really appreciate it :)
    • Up x 1
  20. Epicsacrifice

Oh and about my PC it can run PS2 at ultra 60fps and about 40fps in big battles but I leave it on high anyway so fps isn't an issue.
    • Up x 1