Scythes should have hover-mode animations like other ESF.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EmeraldShadow, Nov 23, 2014.

1. EmeraldShadow

You could just make the thrusters rotate downwards, without greatly changing the aethestic of the scythe. This would allow vanu newbies to understand how hover mode works and not be such a sitting duck as a new pilot. (I didn't learn reverse manuever until I started playing with the mosquito)
    • Up x 6
  2. Plorf

Yes please. It's so hard to use the reverse maneuver reliably, I end up having to check my exact speed so I know if it will work or not.
  3. HadesR

Just remove the ability to hover from all of them ... Much better job :)
    • Up x 13
  4. Outreach

Rotating thrusters are for primitives.
    • Up x 2
  5. Foxirus

NO! Do not try to interfere with our black magic technology! This is blasphemy! To think we would need such sexy visual eyecandy as moving thrusters...
    • Up x 1
  6. ItsDangerous

I fly exclusively in first person and always have. Never had issues figuring this out.
  7. Prudentia

i'd be more happy for thrusters on the front.
    i don't want to fly 200km/h while facing downwards and BREAKING.
    for comparision: flying downard and accelerating nets you to 250~270
  8. Thurwell

Well, SOE doesn't care about the air game and doesn't have the resources to remodel existing vehicles.

But funny story, I've had VS players tell me that the scythe can't go into hover mode like the other 2 ESFs. And then argue with me about it...
  9. Zinus

Why would you put rotating thrusters on the scythe when you already went trough all the trouble to squeeze it trough a levitating nanite spandex o_O.
  10. P1GG

Just make the color of the lights on the back change from blue to white.
    • Up x 2
  11. Thurwell

Fine, come up with a simple easy to implement solution why don't you.

Having the rear thrusters shut off would also work I suppose.
  12. P1GG

It sounds simple, but if past patches are any indicator for how things go with SOE, it would result in months of broken models, hitching, and CTDs.
    • Up x 1
  13. Cz4rMike

there is a way to tell if you're in hover or not.

When you're NOT, your wings have "wind traces". Use it as a clue.
    • Up x 1
  14. Ronin Oni

No.

I have a better idea though. Move thrust vector control to a toggle button instead of automatic based on speed.

#1: This would make air more accessible by making vert thrust maneuvering far more straightforward.
    #2: It would give air even more options for air maneuvers.
  15. Thurwell

That doesn't actually work very well. For one thing it's not nearly as visible, but the main problem is it's a trailing indicator whereas thruster position is a leading indicator. Which is to say after you switch modes it takes time for the tracers to appear or disappear. With thrusters you know exactly when it's happening, and have an indicator that it's about to happen, so your maneuvers can be crisper and better timed in the mosquito and reaver.

Edit: I forgot to say, this is still an important indicator for scythe pilots to know and pay attention to. The previous paragraph was not meant to shoot down his statement and tell people to ignore the tracers. Or maybe contrails is a better word.
    • Up x 1
  16. Cz4rMike

It's not a bad idea, however it would probably make the skill ceiling even higher. Just saying. It WOULD make getting into RM easier, but elite pilots would take advantage of it and make pro dogfights even crazier ;)
  17. \m/SLAYER\m/

side turn signals and reversing lamps for Magrider and Scythe
  18. Thurwell

Hey don't lump scythes in with those TKing magriders.
  19. P1GG

The first time I played VS a scythe landed on top of me...inside of an amp station! I didn't even know a scythe could fly through the shield at the bottom at that point. Funny thing, that was also the first time I'd ever gotten an apology tell after being run over.
  20. Ronin Oni

I don't see that as a bad thing TBQH.

At least then new pilots would understand what was happening rather than being completely confused how pilots do what they do.

Also, while it would raise skill ceiling I think it would ease skill gain.