Roadkilling in a flash is trash.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Baffin, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Rift23

Everything else must really be crap right now.
  2. 60rockstar

actually, the whole idea of an invisible ATV is trash - but this is the kind of stuff you get in a FTP game with dwindling player base
    • Up x 1
  3. Baffin

Where's the opposite and equal reaction?
    [IMG]
  4. Hatesphere

bullets dont kill due to weight disparity, they kill do to focusing force over a small area. its much easier to accelerate a small piece of metal up to great velocity to allow it to have enough force to penetrate an object, then it is to say get a flash up to the speed of a bullet. people survive car crashes all the time due to how force is spread over their bodies more evenly by restraints / padding.

also people are seriously underestimating the weight of the max IMO

lets pretend the max is made from steel for a quick IRL number

steel is 7,750 kg/m^3 roughly, give or take how its made.

how much armor and weapons in volume do you think is on this thing?

[IMG]

i'm seeing at least 1/2m^3 if not more, we got nearly inch think plates all over the place, huge honking triple barrel shotguns as well.

so that gives is a weight more like

7500kg/m^3 X .5m^3 = 3 750 kg. this thing weighs as much as a car, have you ever seen an ATV that weighs around 450-600 kg (with driver) hit a parked car at full tilt and do fine? let alone an armored bullet proof walking parked car?

I'm not saying the max should get out of this unscathed, it should hurt a bit, but the guy driving the ATV at full tilt should be dead and the ATV flipped. Running over normal infantry I am perfectly fine with, but ATV drivers should be treating Maxes like road barriers, not squirrels crossing the street.
  5. Scatterblak

There isn't one. Or, rather, much of one. I didn't say it was realistic - I said it was *more* realistic. In any case, if you work the math out as above, you'll see that the opposite and equal reaction is less than you think - A flash and a player riding it, and the associated weapons, ammo, etc can be expected to weigh 3 to 4 times more than anyone you run over. Granted, there should be more resistance than there is now, but not enough to make it unfeasible to use the flash to run someone down.

...best not pursue this line of inquiry anyway. If it goes much farther, you'll have NC wailing until Higby puts swords or pointy bits on the front, and then fixes the collision bugs - then we'll all be playing Slicerside 2.