New Rig Setup, Performance?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RawLucidity, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Aldaris

A 5870, a 7970 and my current 290x. Not a single one sounds anything like a FurMark test when running PS2. They've sounded much worse on Watch Dogs and Arma3.
  2. BlackDove

People who choose a psu like that would likely underestimate how much power they need.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ase-get-rid-of-the-scaleform-ui-menus.186679/

That 17 page thread pretty much proved that it is a power virus.
  3. Aldaris

No they don't. It's all a PSU is actually needed to do. Provide enough power for all the components for normal operational running, and then a bit more as a safety net and/future options/efficiency. It's how I chose my PSU 5 years ago, and why it's still running perfectly fine now despite the fact I'm pretty sure my system is drawing more power now.

That thread proves nothing. PS2 does not meet the definition. If any one single game is causing your system to exceed its TPDs, your cooling setup is wrong (unless you're saying my install of PS2 is unique and magical for never ever doing that. PS2 has always ran fine and never ran hot for me).
  4. Octiceps

Do you get the same GPU load in PS2 as you do in those other apps, or are you CPU bottlenecked?

please get rid of the scaleform ui menus!

That's PS2 hammering the GPU much harder than FurMark. FurMark is using 100% TDP at full GPU load, while PS2 is using almost 150% TDP at the same GPU load, causing it to run significantly hotter.
  5. Aldaris

GPU bottlenecked in all cases I believe.

Again, that doesn't happen in mine so until proven otherwise I'm going to go with it's an issue with his system/setup.
  6. Octiceps

"Doesn't affect me, so problem must not exist" is a pretty narcissistic attitude, not to mention inaccurate. It's definitely not an issue with just him. There have been numerous reports of similar overheating behavior in this game from other players dating back to launch, for example here: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/character-select-ingame-gpu-temp-issues.50024/ Most of it is anecdotal though because your average PS2 player is pretty non tech-savvy, so all they can say is "my GPU is overheating" or "my fan sounds like a jet taking off" without knowing how to investigate to determine the root cause, hence the lack of solid evidence like Dragam's. On the surface, the problem does appear to affect Nvidia cards more, although this might be due to the preponderance of Nvidia in the player base and overall PC gaming market. Again, I have to emphasize that PS2 is the only game which does this.
  7. Aldaris

Never said the problem doesn't exist, just that the problem is with his system, not with the software, unless again my PS2's version of Scaleform is magically different than his. Simple fact is that people whose TPDs are being obliterated by PS2 are in the minority.
  8. Brian van den Berg

I wasn't talking about average FPS i was talking about FPS in very heavy fights. You will never run 60+ in 48+ fights.
  9. Brian van den Berg

I would take the 550W(from Seasonic, or XFX) just to be safe. 970 uses more 12V power than the 660 does. It's not just about total wattage, it's the amount of watt that goes through 12V for your GPU, and the amount that goes through 5V for you CPU(and USB, and chipset, and some other chips.).

In fact, a i7 4770K and a 780 doesn't use more than ~350W from some physical tests by some guy. It's just that if 12V gets to its limit, it doesn't matter what amount of total wattage you have.

99% of the time you can see it on the specifications and serial number on a side of the PSU.(It's officially required, but some imported PSU's don't have em here in Europe)
  10. BlackDove

Lol what about component quality and durability? Just buying things by the numbers is a great way to end up with overpriced underperforming junk and marketing hype.

And actually it did pretty much prove that the scaleform menus behave like power viruses, but you seem disinterested with things like facts and evidence.
  11. Aldaris

Sigh. Read what I wrote. I specifically said ignoring PSU component quality/durability. I'm merely covering wattage here in these posts.

No it didn't. It proved a minority of people have problems with PS2 and the cooling of their systems. PS2 still does not meet the definition of a power virus.
  12. Aldaris

And I wasn't talking average fps. I was talking constant all the time 96vs96 fights. It happens. My machine does it. The components are out there.
  13. BlackDove

A lot of the problem isnt strictly heat. Its power draw. GPUs with boost will get into a load scenerio with the menus in this game that loads the GPU beyond what a "real world" load does for aprolonged period of time. Which is what a power virus does. High power load without necessarily effective utilization.
  14. Octiceps

So what exactly is your definition of a power virus, given that for some players, PS2 apparently does a better job of being a power virus than FurMark does if going by the traditional definition. o_O
  15. Aldaris

Power virus is defined by heat, not power draw.
  16. BlackDove

Lol... hence the name heat virus right.
    • Up x 1
  17. Octiceps

And where does that heat come from?

:D
  18. Aldaris

The heat comes from not cooling effectively. It's really like you don't know what TDPs are. As I said, it's a function of heat required to be removed in standard operations before overheating occurs, not the amount of power that is being drawn. Different concepts. Just because something draws more power doesn't mean it's going to exceed its TDP.

Seeing as again, I have to point out that the vast majority of people are NOT exceeding their TDP to any significant degree, and infact it's a minority, pretty hard to define PS2 as a power virus based on a few people's PCs.
  19. Octiceps

What is TPD?
  20. Aldaris

Typos edited.