You just gotta Love Tank

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rhinosmyth, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Rhinosmyth

Lovely Tanks

• Up x 1
  2. Imperial Sect

This video sucks man, you are clearly hacking cause as we all know from these forums the Vanguard is super bad and needs tons of buffs.
    • Up x 2
  3. Rhinosmyth

Obviously it is not "Super Bad" it depends on the upgrades and the skill of the driver. Maybe with a bit of practice you could become better instead of calling other players hackers.
  4. AFK1

Yeah, every NC player loves tanks
  5. BlueSkies

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sarcasm
    • Up x 3
  6. ajma

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  7. Imperial Sect

Of course it's not super bad, it's not even bad, in fact the Vanguard is amazing. If you watch the beginning of the video he literally drivers straight at the other tanks and lols his way to kills, in the 3rd one he's even taking fire from 2 tanks and still kills one. My point was the Vanguard is more than fine and the NC should stop asking for buffs.
  8. ColonelChingles

In the first two tank engagements, it's clearly a 2/2 Vanguard versus 1/2 Prowlers. The Halberd never fires. Killing each Prowler only shows that one person died. That the Vanguard won was unsurprising.

In the third tank engagement it was a 2/2 Vanguard that came across 2 Prowlers. But one Prowler was looking the other way and never engaged. The Vanguard did kill the 2/2 Prowler that was firing back, but was also killed about a second later.

This video shows that a 2/2 Vanguard not using its special ability (during the third engagement the Vanguard had IR Smoke equipped) is about equal to a 2/2 Prowler not using its special ability. All things considered, that seems pretty fair. It'd be nice to know if that Prowler was an AP tank (I couldn't tell from the video), but assuming that it was AP I'd call that balanced. If it was a HEAT Prowler then I think the video would show that the Vanguard was rather underpowered (an AP Vanguard shouldn't be equal to a HEAT Prowler).

Of course, this Vanguard's close-range brawling style could have been completely crippled had the Prowlers been running the Vulcan. The Vulcan is a terrible weapon because it is so niche, but at the same time when tanks are hull-to-hull, the Vulcan can output far more damage than any other option.
    • Up x 2
  9. Demigan

Not a bad video. Although I do wonder, why do you have your radar expanded all the time? I just use [ and ] to zoom in/out, this takes away far less from your screen, allows you to see if any LA might be close to you or similar
  10. Icedude94

A lone vanguard running interdiction and harrassment using maximum vehicle stealth.

11. Calisai

Not sure about the Vanguard, but I run with the map fully zoomed about 95% of the time when I'm in my Mag. Knowledge is power, knowing where the enemy is moving, where they are facing and being able to negotiate side/back shots is key. Most of the insane vehicle kill streaks I go on are because people don't pay attention to their surroundings, this includes the minimap. Fully zoomed out both, the expanded minimap shows more territory than the default. So zoom levels being equal, you will see more.

Again, my experience is Mag only, so my visibility to LA's is limited to begin with, so i'm more reliant on my Secondary gunner in that respect, a half-inch isn't going to make much difference to me, whereas the added minimap does. Of course this also is key in the LA style flanking that needs to be done as a Mag, rather than the HA style of in-your-face fighting the Vanguard does more of.

As for the OP's video... It underscores to me how different the playstyle for a Mag is compared to the actual Tanks in this game. Vanguard footage seems to be slower paced and more deliberate. Whereas my Mag runs feel more like a Heavy Harasser with various levels of flanking and hit and run tactics. Definitely underscores my opinion that the Mag is not a good Tank, but is a very good vehicle. Its just the playstyle and what is needed at the time that can throw people off track.

12. FieldMarshall

3:28 Save me gate shield diffuser!
  13. Demigan

For tank vs tank battles I prefer to simply zoom the map out, and keep in small. I can see any spotted tank that I think is a target worth shooting. The only time I expand it is when I am afraid that infantry might sneak up with me, which is harder to see with a small minimap, or when I'm tracking vehicles across large distances, such as when I'm a Skyguard.

I see why you would use it, but I think it's just a preference. It distracts me less while I'm still completely aware of my radar. My eyes just need to dart there and I've seen the entire radar, while expanded I need a tiny bit of extra time to assess what's happening on the radar. I also often look up high, at which point the radar blankets a part of the bottom left of my view of enemy tanks/infantry approaching. I don't like that.
    Still, It's my preference, and I wanted to hear why other people preferred the expanded radar. Thanks :)
  14. KnightCole

Well, when you realize 90% of the NC playerbase is worse then windowlicking blind mutts, you will understand why they still think the Vanguard and so many of thier weapons are UP and in need of buffs. Forum rules forbid me from truly pouring out my feelings towards the NC players in this game........ive done it once towards a single player and his need to TK, post is removed.......so yeah....dem NC....

Vanguard is the one tank in this game that I felt truly comfortable driving around in. that shield, its gun...its own health pool, taking a bit more punishment over other tanks. Only other prowlers did I kinda feel bad facing, cuz they always seemed to out DPS me....Only the 4s reload on the Vanguard always kinda sucked.
  15. Calisai

Now now, don't be hard on NC.... 90% of all factions are that way, its just a grass is greener situation. :eek: True balance is when all three factions are complaining how UP their weapons are and how OP the other factions weapons are.
  16. ColonelChingles

Technically the Magrider isn't a tank because it does not use tracks, which is part of the simple definition of a tank:

So you probably have the right idea... it's a tank equivalent but not a tank itself.
  17. KnightCole

Its hard not ot be hard on the NC after seeing them for 2 years go from a moderately decent force that actually was able to hold most of Mattherson most nights to a force that cant win a fight with a 60-40 pop advantage and are losing territory on all fronts, every cont the very second they meet any kind of resistance. Hell, ive seen 2 soldiers stop a squad of 6 or 8.

Then, having been randomly TKd by them many times out of hte blue for no reason....yeah....