why OHK knives are fine

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Fleech

THEY'RE ******* KNIVES

knives, in a game where at any point and time projectiles fill every square inch of the screen.

instant death is this game comes from everything everywhere and people are complaining about a weapon that requires its user to take a massive risk?

knives and other melee weapons are inherently balanced in these kinds of game because:

1. to use use them you must completely expose yourself

2. knives have an effective range of half a meter

3. knives cannot return fire at a distance

can't we have fun things in this game for once?
    • Up x 10
  2. TheXenonCodex

it's the same principle as any shotgun. if you take even an auto shotty into a room with more than one person and they see you, you're ******.
    if there's only one guy in there and he's not aware, but you fire too early or you don't ADS, you're likely just going to trade. sure there'll be infils who ***** joe and get a few kills, but they'll have a hard time doing it twice.
  3. Mxiter

If everybody get the ability to keep them ranged weapons wile be able to instakill a guy at CQC, what would be the point of shotguns and every other CQC dedicated weapons?

OHK rifle would reduce the weapons choice to versatile weapons. No more rewards for weapons selection anymore.
  4. vilehydra

Because in a game with client based hit detection and intermittently poor OHK's are already infuriating enough, no need to make them even more prevalent. I have no problem with giving the knife some more utility, but not OHK.
    • Up x 3
  5. Movoza

The fact is that you can have several interesting, but annoying and/or overpowered tactics with this. For example, get a stalker cloak. Normally they still have a risk as you have to shoot or double-knife someone. As heavies are used more often than other classes, you have a big chance you also have to kill his shield. Shooting reveals your position, and all options give the enemy, however small, a chance to fight back.
    Now introduce OHK knives. You surprise someone, and he's dead. No indicators, an even smaller chance of survival. Imagine a lot of people going to employ these tactics. In another game we also had invisible units, but you often saw a few too many stealth people waiting for an opportunity to strike and statpadding, making them the most inefficient and non teamplay characters of the game. There is a good chance we will see much more inefficient and non teamplay characters with these knives.
    Now go to towerstomping. An LA picks a carbine, and starts shooting from the roof. Then he jumps down, and starts doing his real towerstomping. You suddenly not only have a viable short range weapon, you also have a mix of medium range and short range that works very well together. The time spend in range of anyone is reduced from small to next to nothing.
    Lastly, there is a big fear that the infiltrator will become a reaper in big enemy groups. As you move through the enemies, killing, they will often shoot their friendlies or not fire at all, as you clip through them. Hard to hit and killing in one blow? No thanks.

In all cases, the annoyance is probably also great. Normally you had to have some quick-knife skill and some shots before you killed them. It is now gone, and you can much easier come on top of a losing situation and detracts from the knifing skill.
  6. Schwak

Off topic

Nice sig, I was going to make a similar one but I was too lazy.
  7. pnkdth

OHK weapons have always been a bad, and lazy, design choice.

Vehicles are obviously an exception, and I can accept sniper rifles being to OHK because you actually need to aim for that(despite my infiltrator icon I do not snipe because it is boring, so shush).
    • Up x 2
  8. Redshift

OHK would be fine if it wasn't quick-knife, if you had to pull it out as a weapon slot and it make a sound like the old PS1 knives then they'd be fine
    • Up x 1
  9. Anomalous Entity

Gun three hits to the head...
    Knife one hit to the anywhere (foot, arm, hand, etc)...

yea, seems logical.
  10. Alan Kalane

You forgot about something

4. They will emit sounds when activated. The enemy can hear those sounds, even if you're just holding the knife.

5. You have to equip them and that means giving up your primary for a short time. If you get spotted before you manage to use the knife you will need additional time to pull out your weapon.

OPness level: very_bad-to-useless
    • Up x 2
  11. Alarox

Things to consider:

1.) It isn't the same as a OHK shotgun. A knife has a 0.5m range. A OHK shotgun has at least 8m.

2.) Pulling this out means you're sacrificing all other options. You can't just whip this out at a moment's notice and OHK. It is situational.

3.) In order to use the OHK function you become easily noticeable because of the sound it makes. This should inhibit Stalkers.

Although, I'm still not sure how well this will work out with Stalkers.
    • Up x 3
  12. AFK1

It's just a stupid idea

How does a knife instantly kill someone through an energy shield, and armor? It takes multiple rounds to put someone down with any non sniper rifle, even to the head, but a knife just instantly kills?

Stupid
    • Up x 3
  13. Mxiter

I still need to update it with uppercut, MKV & AT mines auraxed since.

Thx anyway ;)
  14. Sivliegh

Here are some alternative ideas to adding depth to knife gameplay OTHER than just giving OHK knives....

1. Stun knife. Applies short concussion effect and 2 hit kills.
    2. Poisoned knife. Applies a slow poison effect and 2 hit kills.
    3. EMP Knife. Empties ability meters such as aoe heal, stealth, jets, and resist shields. 2 hit kills.
    4. Adrenaline knife. Increases movement speed after knife kills. 2 hit kills.
    5. Charge knife. Charge up knife before it can do a 1 hit kill. (can't sprint while charging). 2 hit kills normal.

Adjustments you can make to OHK knife....

1. Long equip times.
    2. Lengthen after sprint delay using knife
    3. Add clear sound effects when knife is being used/ppl dying.
    4. Significantly penalize missing or add down time after using it.
    5. OHK only if used from behind or head shot.
    6. Add major shaking effects to knife user's aim when recieving fire.
    7. Add charge capacity to OHK knife and make it only work 1-2 times before requiring recharge.
  15. STR1D3R109

Its not like the OHK knife doesnt take 3+ seconds to equip, makes a noise AND have a glowing trail around or anything either ;P

Its perfectly balanced.
    • Up x 2
  16. SpartanPsycho

The knives should've used takedown animations. Depth and great for the stalker. In battlefield, you can save teammates from being stabbed. Why not?

oh noes bf sux even doou i dont evn ply it
    i dot car if bf was grat in bf tweeeee!
    waaaaaaaaaaa nooooo to op buff my gun
    In other words, we would need to call the brigade of waaambulance.
  17. Hiperion

A hidden blade will be fine
  18. Paragon Exile

THEY NEED TO DIE.

DIE I SAY, FOUL DEMON KNIFE.
  19. Hammerlock

imagine you can wield 2 of them like in dust 514
    [IMG]
  20. FieldMarshall

Considering people have no problems with the current hunter/commi+knife combo, that does the same thing (without sacrificing range when you need it)
    I dont think anyone will have a problem with it or even notice
    • Up x 3