SOE maybe ETA on next Infantry balance update any time soon?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Surmise, Nov 11, 2014.

1. TheXenonCodex

these threads should be locked immediately when it's clear people are just whining.
    • Up x 3
  2. Axehilt

Many of those players did main infil or heavy. Their MAX K/D was still double that "main" class.

Being a 'vehicle hybrid' is a bad design. Outdoors vehicles stomp infantry and that's fine because infantry are supposed to be valuable indoors -- but oh, now we're saying there's a vehicle indoors too and sorry infantry you're crapped on no matter where you go. (And this isn't just exaggeration; if you play vehicles outdoors and MAXes indoors you're going to trash infantry scrubs easily and there's not much they can do about it.)

If MAXes can't storm a choke point and win, they're outnumbered. If there are 20 dudes on a point and most are infantry, and you give me 10 MAXes and our MAXes charge in to various point (from a variety of entrances if possible) then before you kill all of them (with their very large health pools) your entire force is going to be dead.

I can take down a MAX. But only when I out-skill them. There are a lot of lower skill players in this game, so it happens pretty often. But if you put any same-skill player in a MAX I'm toast. Unless I have a lot of advantages on my side (he doesn't know about me, I have a superior positioning, and/or he's forced to attack while I'm defending) then I'm going to lose; or conversely if I'm the MAX and he's infantry, he's going to lose.

This isn't about people being too lazy to attempt to counter MAXes. I mentioned earlier that out of my ~6 MAX K/D usually about 3 of those players are trying to counter me. They just can't though. I either kill them too fast, or I eat the one guy's rocket and kill him anyway. They try to counter me, but because MAX TTK vs. Infantry is about half of Infantry TTK vs. MAX, well...that's basically where the double K/D comes from.

I haven't discussed the solutions I have to overpowered MAXes here at all. For now I just want to raise awareness among players that MAXes are overpowered. (I'd use the term "inarguably overpowered", but players have a nasty habit of arguing against the objective data that tells them they're wrong.)
  3. SpaceZeal0t

Again maxes are not OP, Infantry vs maxes are UP. All that needs to happen is infantry needs resistance buffs to Max weaponry to give them more survivability in combat.

If we dropped max health more and more and dropped their resistances they will become useless in any other role regarding Max vs esf or Max vs MBT. Also we need to point out maxes stock are pretty weak (a single c4 or nade blast can kill or severely damage one).

Keep maxes as they are but mess with those it kills to make them less likely to die.

Or we do it the lazy way and cut max armors down more (which means weaker maxes in all roles, not just infantry combat)

Or even better. We put maxes in the same category as heavy tanks (can only be spawned in certain areas like amp stations you own).

Or we get rid of kinetic and flak armor for infantry's and grant two new forms of armor Anti Infantry and Anti Vehicle (this also includes esfs), these will give buffs to bullet and flak type damages for the respective type. IE you will get stock vs infantry resistances but a higher vehicle resistance (including resistance to maxes) when using AV Armor.
  4. Axehilt

Well if we're discussing actual solutions, you would tweak AI weapon performance before you'd worry about messing with resists. Changes to MAX mobility are also huge for MAX vs. infantry play while only having minor influence in MAX vs. vehicle, so a reduction to sprint mode and/or a nerf to charge (which frankly is ridiculous) would be much better paths towards balance.
  5. SpaceZeal0t

Fine, Mobility loss is alright although be careful messing with charge, even if its a good chasing mechanic it is also a good tool to help prevent maxes from being c4'd to death as it gets them out of the blast radius.
  6. Auzor

1) Maxes extremely powerfull:
    -depends what you shoot them with.
    - a NC AI max essentially has a rapid fire pump-action shotgun. Is that so exaggerated for 450 certs?
    -other classes AI arms: again, TR gets a minigun in each arm. Firing slower than the carv, and doing less damage... suspension of disbelief

Easily spammable: they're 450 nanites. Make them unrevivable, or further increase the revive timer, and implement limited resource generation.
    450 nanites is an mbt, 9 flashes, 3 harassers, or a liberator.

One option: reduce AI potential, including AI damage from things like pounders etc;
    reduce the cost. Maxes become mostly an AV (inc AA) option, with indoor bullet sponge role.
    Make maxes detonate AV mines.
    Complete rework: Max is "balanced" by reducing turn rate, and only fires one weapon at a time. Now the TR minigum can at least fire at a good rate; and an NC max doesn't one shot (he does get a bit more firerate and a bigger magazine however)

Orion, Betelgeuse: Gotta say I prefer Orion over the Carv too..

Redeploy festival: yep.
    But, redeploy festival is about the only way currently to "keep up" to a platoon or squad that is going to a fight, wins.. and then what? Moves on of course to another fight. 24 people suddenly showing up can turn most small-mid fights around in what... a minute? And then they have to wait around for 3 minutes waiting for the cap timer, move to next base finally.. woops, 1 stalker infiltrator back at our base-> go back, return to enemy base..
    Without "redeployside" everyone is spending more time traveling (boring), waiting (boring),..
    Without redeployside, defending a base that just received a galaxydrop becomes very, very difficult.
    Fixing redeployside is perhaps the hardest, because in order to do it properly, you'd change quite a few aspects of the game.
    Somehow the game should result in "fights" being the optimal strategy..yes

HA shield: disagree.
    Again, nerf to HA == Buff to maxes.
    And you want even resist shield to be "a bit less" nerfed.
    Simply make EMP grenade drain the shield, and bam, there is a counter.
    Another option: one of the shields becomes far more resilient to "AV" weapons and blasts; but less so to AI weapons.

-----------------------
    2)
    Grenade spam, yes. Keep in mind, AV grenade has just been nerfed. Concussion grenade too, I'd say.
    But it is a bit of an issue: nerf frag grenades further, and they become rather weak for clearing rooms. OTOH, it is strange a frag has more radius than a 150mm HE shell..
    I want to add another grenade here: smoke. Unless you brought the NV scope.. frustration ahoy, as underbarrel smoke comes flying in through the windows
    implants protecting against concussion and flash grenades: there is no way to know if enemies are going to bring concussion, but I also have no way to know whether you are wearing the implant.. can I use my flash grenade against you? -> Stupid implant :mad:
    Regarding smoke grenades, a rework would be that the enemy can toss them back. Meaning they're mostly usefull tossed between friendlies and enemies, to cover an advance for example.
    Or, they act more like fog, meaning you can see further inside; but the smoke affects a larger area (leading to similar obstruction when trying to see through a cloud)

Balance ress grenade spam: how? Possibility: a ress grenade can only ress two people; it tries to ress the 2 closest to the 'nanite blast'. Advanced possibility: any grenade can be harmfull.. ress grenade also rezzes enemy players :eek:. Frag grenade doesn't have "IFF".. why should ress grenade? That is the most extreme fix to ress grenade spam..and the forums will explode when implemented, people will rage at 'noob medic' when they accidentaly revive 2 enemy soldiers etc. But, give it 1 week, and people will be very carefull about tossing ress grenades.
    IMO: medic doesn't need an "anti-HA" ability.
    Medic thoughts:
    copied from someone else: make the shield thing a 'tool', like C4. Meaning a medic can bring both the heal ability and the shield.
    (creating competition for C4)
    Do away with the "quick spawn" option after dying. The game is a bad tactician, and roulette ("maybe this time the game picked me a good spot to spawn") should not be a feature.
    With longer time spent dead, revives are more welcomed.

TR/NC LMG:
    I think NC is in a pretty decent spot LMG wise.
    Gauss Saw, EM6, GD-22-S.. are good and unique weapons. The Gaus Saw S isn't "bad" I think..
    No 750 rpm weapon, and all except two are 167 dmg, but still..
    I don't see how the Gaus Saw or EM6 would be made "more viable"..
    And yeah, some of the VS LMG's can use a revision.

VS AR: okay; but you don't say how.

Long range gunfights are a bit of an issue: in medium fights, sometimes people simply appear 10m from you. Still screen says 55-60 fps..

0.75 ADS: if anything, the first category of weapons that should receive it, are not the LMG's or AR's, but the carbines.
    All carbines have damage dropoff beyond that of LMG/AR. And they're the weapon of the light assault. It doesn't make sense he moves at 0.5 speed and an Orion user dances around at 0.75..
    Carbines are the lightest weapon etc.
    Now, I don't think all carbines should get it, case in point: ACX-11? Probably not. Even the GD-7-F may not need it; deals enough damage as is. But, it would give several of the carbines an interesting advantage over AR's.
    Consideration: infiltrator full auto scout rifles?

I want to add here again, very simple: reduce the first shot recoil multiplier of the burst fire weapons.
    Also, consider buffing the semi-auto sniper rifles,
    and some of the ES sidearms, to be strong competition to the comisioner and underboss.
    ______
    "I'm more interested in opinion from good, capable, experienced forumside people that are in outfits such are AC/DA,0O,FCRW that do competetive infantry stuff or some good soloers or just from people with good understanding of this game's infantry aspect. Please discuss, be objective."
    Good: well.. I have some morals..
    capable: nope,
    experienced: nope,
    feel free to disregard.
  7. maxkeiser

Game is basically well balanced as it is.
  8. Surmise

No it is not, it's far faaaar from it. Maybe tank vs tank balance is but infantry vs infantry and MAX vs infantry is not and could be much
    much better.

You are just a fanboy sorry, i want people who are competent at this aspect(infantry) to have conversation with, not people who defend the game and say it's amazing and balanced like you do.
  9. Xasapis

With the current condition of the resource system, MAXes afford to be unrezzable, or at least a resource penalty can be implemented when a MAX acccepts a rez.

The MAX itself is in a good spot, imo. What is not right just yet is the amount fielded and how easy and fast it is to replace them, even for non premium members.
  10. RykerStruvian

The best solution is for everyone to play MAXs.
  11. Moonheart

12. Shanther

Balance currently is the best it has ever been. The game is much more balanced then people realize. Those who complain about the Orion being OP for example are just bad at the game and suffer from dunning Krueger.
  13. Axehilt

That's the point!

Out of the 3 players I kill each life fielding "counters" against me, one is often some chump with C4 and then POOF -- I'm gone and his C4 misses.
  14. Surmise

So what now SOE people, hm, we are getting new tier of implants while there are so many things on hold? That's fantastic if you ask me.
  15. The_Blazing

16. ComradeHavoc

Arma 3 is such an amazing PC master race game that I'm disgusted that you would soil it here, #StarCitzen
  17. asmodraxus

If you want to nerf the VS orion or give the 0.75 ads to the Anchor and MSW then they also need to have the same small clip size, lets say 45 for the MSW and 40 for the Anchor?
  18. IberianHusky

How about remove .75 ADS on VS LMGs all together and leave it only on the NS-15m?
  19. FrozenCustard

Really the best way to "nerf" the Orion is to just give the msw-r and anchor .75x movement speed, with possible re-adjustments elsewhere. Because that way, the VS will still have 2 .75x LMGs, and seeing as the anchor is pretty much a less accurate EM-6 and the msw-r is a less accurate carv, you'll have a reason to actually pull these cqc LMGs because IMO they feel like downgrades in all but the hip fire (not even all that good) and reload speeds.
  20. Pineapple Pizza!

I think the biggest issue with maxes is that they aren't so much a force-multipler, as just a flat-out force. The difference between fodder players and dangerous veterans using maxes, is that the later just camps more to avoid getting gibbed by explosives; you can't hit more headshots or dodge better or anything.

You could hit them with damage nerfs and prevent them from being revived, but it wouldn't change the fact that they're one-dimensional power-upgrades that turn numbers into victory. I'd like to see max-users really work for their results; cut their damage, but increase their accuracy so that good aim is rewarded.

MSR is more accurate than the carv and has soft point; same can be said for the Anchor compared to the EM6...probably moreso.