Servers down now?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by pascalli, Nov 13, 2014.

1. pascalli

One might think that PS2 wouldn't take all servers off line on a day when there is a big WOW expansion release and chances of folks turning here but nope quite the contrary.

Blizzard has screwed launch day up in the past and when folks stay up all night to join on the new expansion they get burned. They could have turned to PS2 like I told my friends but NOPE we decided to have a big maintenance at that time. So they join me on PS2 just to see the maintenance message is coming in 15 minutes.

Just letting you all know that you missed a big opportunity today by not noticing that WOW expansion and seeing that having the servers down during that time hurt your chances of bringing more folks in.

tldr; I dislike WOW but we could have brought lots of folks into our game by being up while that game was in a major update.
  2. Bindlestiff

I much prefer hotfixes for Planetside 2 to be scheduled around other unrelated games in a completely arbitrary fashion. I'm perfectly happy to wait for a fix to the infiltrator cloak for example, I don't need that today, nor does anyone else. That can wait.

Edit: /sarcasm
  3. pascalli

Forgot to end your post with the /sarcasm tag.

However you can't deny that 6.8 million players staying up late for an expansion that was unplayable wouldn't be looking for other games. Sure that game is unrelated but damn think of the missed opportunity here. Lots of folks called in work tomorrow to stay up late and play a game that didn't work. They could have came here but we are in maintenance.
  4. Bindlestiff

Edited ;)

Seriously though man, I just don't get it. The game needs fixes before it needs people, because if people turn up to play the game in the state that it is, they aren't staying anyway.
  5. FateJH

Being able to keeping to schedule looks better than playing chess with your industry rivals.
    The spririt of "getting it out for the holidays" very often delivers coal.
    (PlanetSide 2 formal beta ended in November, before some players felt it was ready. Think about that.)
    • Up x 1
  6. pascalli

I recently spent $60 on Steam for Xplane 10. A game that looks good on screenshots and videos but damn... a far, far cry from being a full game after you purchase. This game is light years better than Xplane 10 and its free to play, Xplane is charging $60 for a game thats the worst and most buggy game I've seen since Atari. While PS2 may not be complete or as you feel not worth sharing, its by far the best bang for the buck of anything out there currently.

Your damn straight I'm gonna share it with folks that are on the WOW crack on a day the game is down. I want them to see what else is out there and how much better it is.
  7. Fatal_Finn

Meh couldn't play yesterday either :l
  8. Bindlestiff

Don't get me wrong, we absolutely need people and it is enjoyable. But right now, first impressions won't be great for new players.
  9. RykerStruvian

Don't jinx me, bro. I'm introducing a friend this weekend to it on our days off. I was going to have them topgun my Vanguard and try to ease them into it. At the same time, I know I'm going to have to play damage control and try to say 'oh, thats not done/fixed/etc yet, BUT ITS IN THE WORKS I SWEAR!'
    • Up x 1
  10. Bindlestiff

This video by Yamiks sums it up perfectly - if you ignore the colourful language at times (from what I recall Edit no colourful language yay):

In my opinion this isn't even an extreme overreaction, and is an average play session for a lot of people.

Being gunner in a tank is probably a good way to get them used to everything that is going on however - just hope they don't get out to help repair and be catapulted 100 feet into the air.
    • Up x 1
  11. SquallLord

Let's be real, if someone starting out played infiltrator, the first impression would be worse with the invisible gun/crosshair glitch. Better they fix it now the let it linger.
  12. Bindlestiff

I completely agree, I was being sarcastic in my first response :)