Cosmetics for cert players??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CARunner, Nov 8, 2014.

1. DatVanuMan

You said PAYING WITH CERTS IS IMPRACTICAL, so I came to the conclusion that you were saying that buying anything with certs was a fool's action...
    And now you act as if you meant that buying cosmetics with certs is impractical, even though you NEVER mentioned that in your previous post.
  2. Ronin Oni

Gouge?

REALLY?!?

OP deserved to be flamed for his ridiculous idea which is terrible, and you even more so for even calling it gouging when you can play the entire game for free and never buy a thing and not be at a disadvantage gameplay wise.

OH DEAR GOD LETS NOT RESTRICT BRIGHT GLOWING CAMOS TO PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT THE GAME DEVELOPMENT!

You get a free faction camo. That's plenty.
  3. BiggggBRIM

Calm down, self-appointed forum police. No reason to get upset and throw a temper tantrum. And I said "gouge their customers for

cosmetics."

I highlighted the important detail in my post that you carelessly skipped over, hopefully you won't miss it for the second time. Send me a message if you still can't find it. Speaking of finding things in my post, can you find where exactly in my quoted post that I said ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING AT ALL about people having to pay for this game to not be at a disadvantage?

Anyways, gouge is the correct word to describe what SOE charges for cosmetics.

gouge
    /ɡouj/
    verb
    NORTH AMERICAN, informal
    overcharge; swindle.

SOE charges $10 for a digital helmet. I can support my local baseball team by buying their PHYSICAL hat for $7.99. You do the math.

SOE has a history of absurd prices for everything, especially cosmetics. Drakon armor used to be THE default armor back in beta, then SOE took it back and charged for it at launch. People used to have to buy separate camos for their characters, guns AND vehicles. Explain to me why it is ok to charge 750 SC for the Sunderer Havoc Shield for EACH FACTION SEPARATELY. People like to show support, but no one likes feeling ripped off.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ronin Oni

It's cosmetic (see, I can be obnoxious too)...

You don't need any of it. The entire point of cosmetic sales is to raise funds to continue development and actually be profitable.

The game isn't cheap to maintain and they don't charge for it. MOST players buy NOTHING so the stuff that is bought HAS to be "overpriced" so they can meet a bloody bottom line.

and prices HAVE gone down.

At launch it was $5 for a camo that ONLY worked on armor, OR weapon OR vehicle. Or it was $5 per helmet... PER CLASS (or $25 for all 5 classes).

So yeah, they DID reduce prices.
    • Up x 2
  5. Makora

Though in general I agree with people saying that this is SOE's main revenue in the game. I do see the OP's point in a way.
    With the possible future playerstudio expansion of armors I don't think it'd be THAT much of a loss in revenue if some "basic" items were made purchasable with SC. Not cheap, of course, but something.

For example, the Drakon armor sets could be sold as certification. They are basically composite, but less blingy. (I prefer drakon over composite TBH). Same for composite helmets, I really don't see any reason to keep them as SC only. Personally I think there are worlds better player made helmets that are more then worth the extra dosh. And lastly basic continental camo. Right now, you COULD get away with only 3 basic camos, arctic and desert for obvious continents, and a dark-green one for both Amerish and Hossin.

Just some simple, basic items that let the player customize themselves visually. Only stuff made by SOE should ever be made available in this way obviously.
  6. MrGhosty

You can't really compare PS2 to a f2p moba or RPG, each monetizes what each individual market will bear. In an RPG you expect to be able to fully customize your character and looks as they are usually in third person perspective. The core PS2 experience is fast based, FPS action, with a larger strategic aspect if you choose to partake.

I've been in this game since Beta and it has completely replaced all other shooters I used to play, new players already have access to more free content than early adopters did and I think it is now sitting at a reasonable level. There are some things they could do to make some the perceived barriers of entry lower to the playerbase though.

Holiday specific events with free cosmetics that only last for the duration of the event (we finally saw this happen with the halloween event, hopefully it went well so they repeat it)

Greater reduction in cost for the early cosmetics to encourage secondary "wait and see" market

a few more customization options in character creation (you could add some cosmetic-esque options that would be able to be applied once and not changed unless equipping the SC purchased cosmetics

These are all minor quibbles and to be perfectly honest not terribly important in my opinion. The OP seems genuine wanting to better the game, so rather than worrying about some cosmetics being made free to all maybe think about ideas on player retention.

I personally am a big fan of customization and I have spent more on this game than any other game I've ever played and I'm ok with that. The free stuff you get is cool but too much diminishes its value and also rewards players who want something for nothing out of necessity or otherwise. I don't believe that players will consider free cosmetics an incentive to keep playing, cosmetics are for those who have already committed to the game.
    • Up x 1
  7. WorldOfForms

You know, if you freeloaders just gave SOE a little bit of money, this game would be better than it is right now. You know that, right? If the game had made more money, the staff would be larger, and you wouldn't have to complain so much about lack of content and buggy patches.

But no, you want a AAA shooter for absolutely free, and you want it to magically develop itself.
    • Up x 1
  8. BiggggBRIM

Nope, not right either. Not sure what you're trying to get at but the plural of 'cosmetic' is 'cosmetics'.

Oh silly me, I thought that's what they sold $119 memberships, $10 camos, $7 guns and $.50 attachments for. The OP was merely asking for 1-2 camos and/or 1-2 helmets that players can buy with certs. Given the power creep with Station Cash that SOE is doing, such as allowing the purchase of weapon attachments with SC, I'm inclined to agree with him. SOE is allowing more and more things to be bought with SC and holding everything back from their FTP crowd.

Fixed that for you. And yes, most players buy nothing, but they are every bit a part of PS2's success as paying players. I'm a paying customer and I need lots people playing this game to have fun. A majority of PS2's playerbase hasn't spent a dime, but you gotta stop catering to the 1-2% of the game's spenders and throw the FTP crowd a bone once in awhile to keep them happy. 1-2 camos and 1-2 cosmetics that can be bought with certs isn't going to send SOE into bankruptcy. Stop being so dramatic.

LOL!

They made you buy the SAME CAMO THREE TIMES to use it on your armor, your weapon and your vehicle. And prices have gone down? Helmets and camos that SOE currently releases are the SAME price as the player studio items! They went from $5 - $7.50 to $10! They realized that people were happy spending $10 to support the player's studio so they went ahead and snaked in their own designed cosmetics for the same price! And voicepacks? They were $5 when they came out a few months ago, and the new ones are $12.50! Where did you get the idea that SOE reduced prices?
  9. BlueSkies

... :confused:

o_O:confused:o_O

This is a thread about buying cosmetics with certs...
  10. CARunner

Stop rephrasing my words into something i did not even say...
    I said maybe 3 kinds of camos like perhaps : Desert , Arctic ,and Military camo is enough.
    and for Cosmetics , just look at most other free online games , in almost every one of them you can get gear
    and or cosmetics for an in-game currency.
    PS2 wont lose profit because there would be an obvious distinction between Cert gear and SC gear.
  11. DatVanuMan

Indeed it is...
    [IMG]