THE THINGS I FELL IN LOVE WITH WHICH ARE NO LONGER PART OF THE GAME

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by tahn1000, Nov 10, 2014.

1. tahn1000

1) the freedom to play on any continent, in the terrain you prefer.
    - CONTINENT LOCKING = no choice at all as only one is ever 'unlocked'

2) the freedom to choose your fights (a)
    - LATTICE SYSTEM = simply, there is no choice. the game is now designed to exclude 2/3rds of the frontline bases.

3) the freedom to choose your fights (b)
    - 'REDEPLOYSIDE' = i canot deploy into any frontline base to defend, or any of the neighbouring bases. more on that later.

4) that each class had unique strengths and abilities
    - HA across all factions has been nerfed to the point that only die-hards will continue to play this class. this can be proved by the steadily decreasing use of the annihalator and decimator (ns weapons available to all factions). the heavy artilary class strength was the rocket launchers. only they are steadily falling into disuse (let's face it, they've been made useless against tanks and aircraft anyway). why? because game developers, in their wisdom, decided to listen to the vocal minority (minority of forum members, which is a miniscule representation of the player base) and - well - nerf everything that was good about playing this class. which has brought about the rise and rise of the 'C4 fairy'.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    note the steady decline. which brings me to my final point...

5) there is no positive side to this, it just keeps getting more obvious and more depressing to watch
    - that particular factions and groups are pushing the entire game to be redesigned to suit their playing style. obvious examples of this are:
    a) just watching the video in my siggie as to how the striker came to nerfed.
    b) the constant posts that anything HA is 'OP'
    c) the constant hue and cry over 'redeployside', so that it could be replaced by sundie-side, in the name of 'balance'. HOWEVER, IT IS FAR FROM BALANCED, considering that the attacking side can redploy from sundies, galaxies, valkaries AND THE NEAREST BASE SPAWN ROOMS, RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THE BASE THEY ARE ATTACKING TO RESPAWN NOT JUST THEMSELVES BUT MORE SUNDIES AND TANKS AND POSSIBLY VALKARIES AND GALAXIES. the average distance between bases is about 300 meters. attackers can respawn 300 meters from the base they want to attack and respawn all the sundies and tanks they want, while those that don't want to wait can just go for a quick run. (this 'attack' style i think is called 'zerging')

ON THE OTHER HAND, DEFENDERS CANNOT DEPLOY INTO THEIR OWN TERRITORY BASE THAT IS UNDER ATTACK, AND CANNOT DEPLOY INTO ANY BASE LESS THAN 2100M FROM IT, where they will have to spawn sundies and tanks and drive them all the way to the base they intended to join the fight to defend. or entire platoons will just respawn right back at their main base, pull a galaxy and fly halfway across the continent because that's actually faster.

somebody explain to me how that can honestly be described as 'balanced' because i just don't get it. it's certainly not fair play, but maybe 'balanced' means something different. i know when it comes to classes it means'making the other class/es' easy pickings and zero threat. so i'm guessing as far as preventing defending bases, 'balanced' facilitates attacking over-pop. it also seems to mean something like catering to the lowest denominator.

so this game has turned into something less enjoyable and diverse than it once was, and i've only been playing since june. i can honestly say that before my year's membership is up i may not even be playing it anymore. i don't know how long i can hold out in the vain hope that things will actually improve as i watch the exact opposite continue update after update. and if i hadn't fallen in love with the game so hard when i started (and bought a year's membership) i probably would have stopped already.

if it really is the developer's genuine intention to turn planetside 2 into a capture the flag game, get rid of the TR faction and the HA class across the board, i call on you to just come into the open and say it. otherwise try to remember that 'balanced' in a game is supposed to equate to fair play.
  2. BlueSkies

only "die hards" play HA?!? what server do you play on?
    • Up x 4
  3. OminousZ

The only thing I disagree with this post is about the HA. This game is more like Heavyside. About 80% of my engagements are against the easy, HA class. It's annoying actually.
    • Up x 1
  4. Villanuk

As you said in your Video, you didn't think the T2 was Op, but you kept going on about it just to Nerf it. For me thats wrong with the game.
  5. Pikachu

You liked placeholders.
    • Up x 4
  6. breeje

why do you hate the TR so mush, it's only a game
    we do not come and kick your door down, pulling you away from your computer to slap face you
    we only want you to kneel before our superior faction and kiss our boots :D
    • Up x 1
  7. KnightCole

80% HA, 10% SMG Infil, 9.5% MAX, and the other classes are split among the last half a %, with medics being the smallest portion of that
    • Up x 1
  8. Wildclaw

The freedom to either play on Indar or ghost cap Esamir/Amerish all day long. Sorry that you miss that. I definitely don't. Continent locking is a vital component in assuring a decent player concentration.

The freedom to either fight at the Crown or "participate" in the 96-0 zergs moving around the map capping undefended bases. You have a really strange definition of choice.

The Redeployside memo is a comment on how easy it is to deploy into any frontline base nowadays, so your comment makes no sense whatsoever. And since it was more difficult to redeploy in the past, I have to question the integrity of your memory.
    • Up x 2
  9. z1967

1. Because a year of Indarside was so much fun I didn't even want to step foot on that continent for the past few months.

2. Yes, playing whack-a-conglomerate with the hex system was the pinacle of fun gameplay in Planetside! Only one base you could move your men to defend but three bases that they could attack, so much fun.

3. You have nothing but your peers to blame. Unfun gameplay gets scrapped, no surprise there.

4. Lol, HA is the most played class based strictly on LMG pulls. The Diehard(tm) class you were thinking of was probably Light Assault. And basing the HA use off of two high price RLs? Are you serious?

5. Its balanced because you can deploy up until the fight is 50/50. After that just pull a galaxy and move your squad there :|
    • Up x 1
  10. TraatAdmiral

It baffles me that people are still complaining about Lattice the best part of two years later. You guys lost that argument a long time ago. Move on with your lives.
  11. AFK1

uh...

what?
    • Up x 1
  12. FieldMarshall

Already been said, but:
    1. Freedom to play on Indar or ghost cap the rest. That is not freedom. The only choice was Indar.
    2. The freedom to choose between Crown or ghostcap. Even less choice. Its Crown or nothing pretty much.
    3. You can redeploy to a base as long as you dont have over 50% pop.
    And to be fair, when one faction gains overpop the fight is pretty much "ruined" and turns into a zergfested spawncamping wait-for-cap-with-nothing-to-do fight anyway.

You can deploy to any base that needs defending. If you cant deploy to it, you already have 50% population there and there would be no/little reason for you to go.

Playing on Indar 24/7 is not diversity. Fighting at the crown 24/7 is not diversity.

If you found "old" PS2 enjoyable and want it back, then i genuinely hope you stop playing.
    Sound like your ideal PS2 world would be a 1 base chokepoint meatgrinder that everyone should spawn at, always.
    May aswell play CoD.
    • Up x 1
  13. TheKhopesh

Rocket Launchers no longer able to OHK by firing at feet, LMG's no longer unfairly able to kick out +30 rounds before losing half the accuracy an AR equivalent would have (See old VS Orion!), HA 40% damage mitigation for resist shield no longer stacks with 20% damage mitigation for Nanoweave.

That's what he misses here. :rolleyes:
  14. Fellgnome

I see more LA than SMG infil.

Maybe "see" is the wrong word(JK high graphic setting I do see infils) but you know what I mean.
  15. RykerStruvian

Hahaha, so ******* true. Indarside and whack-a...hey, no. More like whack-a-fascist. And radical...ist!

LIVE FREE IN THE NC!
  16. NConical

^^^

This!
  17. Whatupwidat

Congrats OP - this is the whiniest "Planetside 2 is ****" post I've seen all year :D
  18. MrJengles

Ironically, it's the people that want to keep the status quo that would retain all these issues.

Among the suggestions to improve redeployside are restrictions to squad vehicle spawning, and the ability for defenders to more easily get to the base behind the battle so they can grab vehicles (which makes things more fair compared to the attackers).

It's also good that you point out people won't drive across the map because Galaxies are far faster. That's just a scare tactic used by those that favor the status quo. People use ground vehicles to get to the next base on their own lattice lane (300m by Sundy is nothing), if they want to switch lanes they'll grab a Galaxy from the WG, or maybe they'll redeploy to the base behind the fighting, and THEN they'll grab sundies.

I hope SOE is listening. The redeploy system as it is isn't successfully helping solo and new players get into fights. It's too unreliable and awkward. It's not working for either side of the debate and needs a redesign.
  19. The_Blazing

I'm sorry but before the lattice and cont-lock updates that killed your oh-so-great "freedom" came, 99% of players played only one continent (Indarside), effectively wasting the efforts and money that the developer team put on the remaining three. In my opinion this was by all means and purposes a big insult not only to the level designers who put time and heart into these continents, but also to the producer(s) who dumped the money to see those continents realized.

In addition, the Hex system ony worked on paper - yeah, sure, outfits sitting at the round table plotting what path of advance to take through the hexes and whether or not to spend time to surround that large facility to increase the empire's influence on it and thus have faster capture times... Too bad that there are more pubs than dedicated outfit players, that different outfits don't always communicate (they basically never do on EU servers due to language barriers and zergfits), and that this so glorious "meta" and "freedom", in the end, went more towards making the game annoying for the majority of players than making it fun and tacticool for what would have been a minority anyways.

I think that your view of the game differs from what the game is and what it is supposed to become - you seem to think that it's some kind of sandbox for you to practice your "freedom" on - unfortunately, the game is supposed to be a sci-fi massive warfare game, and some things, such as entire continents being empty, everyone playing on Indar, and most players not benefitting from all the weird quirks of the old hex system, go against that.