Cosmetics for cert players??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CARunner, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Corporate Thug

I have spent more money on this game than almost any other yet have never purchased cosmetics. It's bull to say that people shouldn't be able to unlock cosmetics with certs because some of us might not buy SC but do have a membership, in which the monthly allowance isn't enough to do much of anything with. Some might buy weapons with SC, others might buy boosts or pay for a membership, but they are all paying customers.

Make cosmetics purchasable with certs, but just keep the price relatively steep as to always make purchasing them with SC the best option, except for those of us with an abundance of free certs or are willing to play for extended periods of time just to grind enough for them. Win win, because F2P players now have more things to unlock once they get high up in rank and more time will be invested in the game by those who don't purchase cosmetics with SC, reinforcing the idea that membership or SC purchases will benefit them.

Edit: The cosmetics purchased with certs won't be account wide and the more time players spend in game is good regardless of the reasons why they're playing.
    • Up x 1
  2. Jac70

It's not an issue of paying to complete it though it's just a matter of grinding. Look at all the people with the Space title. That was an event that lasted all of a month and there are still lots of people with the title. Somebody will get that camo and when they do you'll know that they earned it.
  3. TraatAdmiral

Anyone with one of the Patriot flare guns has had them for 16 months, and in that time exactly 6 people have Auraxiumed them.
  4. Jac70

I bought the Patriot flare for the giggle. I got 6 kills with it and then put it away. I could Auraxium it but then I am not a masochist. I guess that's why the most sought after item requires the most amount of dedication and slog.
  5. BlueSkies

:rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  6. CARunner

Thats why i specifically said : Cosmetics that are not as good as the SC ones , just basic bandana and goggles kinds of stuff
  7. Mitheledh

The problem is that what is better is entirely subjective. On top of that, consider that so far the only cosmetics I have purchases have been a helm for each faction and a camo for each continent. With your idea, I would have given them no money at all. I could have just gotten those things for free. To say that it would not cut into PS2's revenue is wishful thinking.
  8. DatVanuMan

EVERYBODY HERE WHO HATES F2PLAYERS, LISTEN UP!
    Why not make these camos SUPER-EXPENSIVE, like 5-7,000 certs? That way, players who save up and know how to make certs get them, without compromising on SOE's business model.

P.S. Not to be a know-it-all or anything, but WEAPONS' ATTACHMENTS now compromise most of PS2's money gains, not camos;)
    • Up x 2
  9. CARunner

You can get SC guns for 1000 certs , so what?! Doesn't that take money from SOE when you can just earn up Certs
    and get weapons and the MANA turret entirely free for certs...

Many free online fps games i have played ( almost every fps i have played ) has Character Customization options,
    heroes , and gear that effects or does not effect gameplay ( depends....) .

With character creation , PS2 would be a full complete game with absolutely
    every aspect of many other games out there combined , even in free online RPG's Character creation
    is very important and helps the game fell alive and realistic.

A couple cert ways to change up your character would not effect the money rate SOE earns.
    Really to be ambitious , PS2 should have multiple brilliant ways to customize
    your character both for certs and SC.

make that 500 certs to unlock a piece of gear if not 1000 .
  10. CARunner

I was thinking 500 to 1000 certs
    But im only saying add Basic camo's buy-able for Certs .

Military Stripes camo
    Desert Camo
    Arctic camo
    Shouldn't be a problem !
    Just 3 Camo options .
  11. DatVanuMan

I love the idea, man! After a while, certs become SO useless, so I don't see why I can't look better! Thing is, they have to be super expensive so that SOE doesn't lose revenue.
    • Up x 2
  12. CARunner

If not then i was thinking 3 camo options available for certs.

Military stripes
    Desert Camo
    and Arctic camo
    those basic camo options would allow players
    to take advantage of just the 3 basic camouflages to protect themselves against
    the OP Station Cash players that destroy Cert players easily.
  13. CARunner

Thanks for the support man , I'm just looking for a way to improve the game
    and give Cert players a chance to at least look like decent players and use 3 basic camo options to
    their advantage.
  14. 60rockstar

"anything that actually makes a difference in the game you can buy with certs"

Not true - camo does make a difference
    • Up x 1
  15. ColonelChingles

As evil as it sounds, the entire point to fancy cosmetics is to make F2P players feel as insecure about themselves as possible. It's called "conspicuous consumption".

PS2 cosmetics are a perfect form of conspicuous consumption because cosmetics really serve no practical purpose. Their only point is to differentiate the paying players from the non-paying players, and to incentivize players to pay. Players who visibly look "normal" are subjected to psychological pressures which push them to pay. That's how the market works.

The fact that you're making this thread is proof that their business model is working. You're upset with looking normal, and you want to look nicer. If there is enough pressure over enough time, you might finally open up your wallet.

So really just spend $2.50 on this game to grab a camo. It's not very expensive at all, and I would think that you've gotten at least $2.50 worth of enjoyment from this game already!
    • Up x 1
  16. CARunner

Well the only place i can buy SC is ''Kroger'' and the store does not sell SOE game cards so
    its not like i can buy camo's and cosmetics .

But besides that, explain why almost every free fps or rpg out there has Heroes or gear and cosmetics available
    for any player types , with or without money.

As i said the player with less expensive Cert gear still wont be fully satisfied but at least
    the player would have something.
    Personally i enjoy customizing my character and making the game feel alive as if it was real life.
  17. BlueSkies

Yeah... the camo in this game really makes you blend in with the environment...
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
  18. Jac70

I understand where you are coming from but like I said the cosmetics are what actually pays for the development of the game. I don't think the game is making as much money as SOE would like, hence the 'in your face' begging for you to get membership. Plus there is some basic customisation of your character - as in you can change the race and sex to suit.

They could implement a system where you could use certs to get cosmetics but they would have to be massively expensive to incentivise people to buy those things with cash. 10,000 certs say.

I think if you like the game and have gotten 20+ hours of enjoyment out of it then it's not too much to ask for you to drop a bit of money and receive a new look for doing so. It's called free to play and it is but the concept is that you'll actually spend money. I have never been a member but I have spent more money on this game than any other in my history, about £60 so far.
  19. Runegrace

Or add in a transitional currency, like some Auraxium Coin. AC can be bought with SC at a 1:1 ratio, and anything that costs SC can also be bought with AC. The difference? AC can be traded between players for certs. So yes, F2P players can essentially save up certs for AC then buy every cosmetic in the game if they work up enough.

And this doesn't hurt SOE's bottom line at all…in fact, it helps it. If you as a F2P player didn't spend any $$$ to get the AC it totally doesn't matter…the person you bought the AC from did. SOMEONE paid $7 for that gun. It does not matter that someone metaphorically bought the gun for you, all that matters is that a sale was made.

All F2P players now are able to buy everything in the game with certs. Also, all F2P players are now potential consumers of AC and thus SC. Since AC is local to PS2 SOE doesn't need to worry about this affecting other game economies either. Seems to be a pretty win-win setup to me.
  20. BlueSkies

This isn't EVE Online.. no one is that hard up for certs (part of why paying with certs is ridiculous)