Region cap needs to come sooner than later.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kriegson, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Kriegson

The 98 Vs 98 battles are, in my opinion, where everything breaks down. Its not fun dying without having any time to react or real way to prevent it and that's going to happen over and over in these massive 98 v 98 fusterclucks. Performance issues will run rampant, there's no room for tactics when rooms are just chock full of people so everyone dies in droves.

It's been discussed elsewhere but here's the gist.
    [IMG]

Region cap Capping via regions (as it has been discussed elsewhere and before) takes a handful of bases and puts them into a "region". Usually with a "main base" in the area such as a tech plant, with the rest acting as satellites. Much as you capture a base by taking the points until the base flips, the same goes for regions, with the "main base" weighing in more heavily into who owns the area than the satellite bases.

This still creates those large confrontations, but does it across a handful of bases in which relatively smaller and more tactical battles can flourish right alongside the massive ones. It also creates more tactics that could be used on a macro scale as certain bases are used as anchors or spearheads into a region.
    • Up x 5
  2. Kubin

Good idea but how would it work? I mean - should it replace current base flipping (bascially changing one base into one point to flip) or would it work parallely to it (you'd still have to flip 1-4 points to cap the base but then said base counts as 1 of X points [bases] to cap within the region)?

If it'd replace current system then it would be either too bland (overcrowd one point and hope the others will do the same in other bases) or too hard (defenders would no longer worry about running from point to point, instead sitting on one point).

If it would be like "capture points within capture points" then it would have more sense if there were something that matters in capping regions. I mean - boost to resources (after they change it to something more demanding than it is now... damn nanites) or something. Now we have that biolab auto regen thing, less heat in base defense cannons and stuff but it's assigned to bases. What do you propose in that matter? What should regions "give" to the faction that controls them?
  3. gibstorm

I love 98+ battles
  4. Rovertoo

Ooh yes. I would love to see fights at multiple points or objectives that are further away than current bases. Would be awesome to have coordination across such a distance for the same goal!
  5. Taemien

So simply speaking... you take 4 bases, make them into one and then the control points are spread over the region? Possibly even keeping the same control points.. so if the larger base has three and there is three satellite bases you have Points A, B, and C at the large central base.. and then Points D, E, and F at the satellite points?

That may actually work out pretty nicely.
    • Up x 2
  6. Gorganov

• Up x 3
  7. MrJengles

I think SOE briefly mentioned this on a Twitch video as something they'd like to do.

Personally I think it's the best idea so far as an upgrade to the lattice system:
    • It would solve the issue of tiny bases and few objectives that simply plays horribly when 100s of players cram into those spaces.
    • It would encourage different tactics, falling back to different bases or setting up ambushes.
    • It would create areas inbetween bases where vehicles could impact the battle flow and outcome of the region by stopping / helping advances without resorting to artillery tactics. This more intuitively makes players aware of a larger battle zone and the importance of protecting the territory around a base rather than narrowly focus on everything inside the ring of buildings.
    • Locking down multiple spawn rooms would be harder than one.
    • Regions can have significant benefits tied to them, rather than individual bases having small benefits that add up.

And probably many other advantages.
  8. ajma

How I think it should work is that satellite bases must be organically controlled to have a chance at capturing or defending a region. What this means is that satellites are not captured (they don't flip ownership), but have objectives that must destroyed/taken/hacked and then defended (like generators, but with more variety). These objectives (bridges, special weapon emplacements or what have you) make it easier or harder to attack/defend the main facility.

Something like this I think is already being considered by the devs.
  9. Obstruction

so what you're saying is put in the old hex system, but with lattice points between major facilities. which, since i've been playing long enough to remember, is what most people wanted but instead were given the lattice system and continent locks. which, by the way, we also predicted would turn every battle strategy into zerg or redeploy zerg.