Wondering About My Future PC Build...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by thenewbie, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Lord_Mogul

The only real difference (other than esthetics and things like cable management) are usable wattages on the 12V rails and protection features.
    So realy cheap PSUs (things like 500W for 30€/40$) could destroy other hardware when malfunctioning. (for instance poor protection against power surges) Often they will take parts liek the motherboard with them
    The PSU is the only part of a PC that can destroy other hardware when malfuntuning)
    • Up x 1
  2. Shalalala

Ok, sure. You could save up and go for the Haswell-E series CPUs... Or just get a normal Haswell series CPU now and be off similarly well. Don't get me wrong: Haswell-E is awesome, but it's more as an alternative option for OP if there is money available for that. He can game on a i5 4590 just fine. Haswell-E series have better single threaded performance afaik, but they're not really suited for a mid-ranged built. There is no need for the Haswell-E or waiting for the Skylake.

Also the possible PCIe configurations only really matter, when running a SLI or Crossfire setup. Not the care here. A multi-GPU setup is generally not recommended for Planetside 2.

Furthermore, the advantages of DDR4 compared to DDR3 are minimal. For gaming purposes there are barely no differences between DDR3 and DDR4. If you were doing lots of video editing, CAD work, or programming, then maybe getting DDR4 might make sense - and even then only minimally. The only time I'd recommend DDR4 over DDR3 would be if you're running with a Haswell-E as you don't have much choice (Haswell-E only works with DDR4).

So to sum it up for the OP: no real need to change anything. Just more suggestions as to what you could get. And another reason as to why getting a well paying job matters too.
  3. Smagjus

Damn, you are very clever. Are you an engineer at Intel or something?
    Only thing I have to correct here. There is not that much of a difference between Haswell-E and Haswell which is why the CPU with the higher clocks offers more single thread performance. So looking at Planetside alone the i5-4690(k) would actually beat the Haswell-E. An i7-4790k or the identical Xeon at stock would be the best choice if overclocking is not desired.

As reference take a look at the Cinebench and 3DPM benchmarks here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/...view-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/5

Or iTunes which is single-threaded here:
    http://www.computerbase.de/2014-08/intel-core-i7-5820k-5960x-haswell-e-test/5/#diagramm-itunes

God, I thought I were the only one but you simply gave up before I did. The arguments drove me crazy.

I recently replaced my 80+ bronze CPU with a Platinum certified from Seasonic - so I am guilty. But I pay so much for electricity that the investment will pay off in 4 years.

On the other hand there are quite interesting examples of "budget" PSUs out there with faked PFCs. They were sold for 15€ and simply put some scrap metal into a casing and labeled it as PFC.

Regarding PSU data bases I can recommend this piece:
    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm
  4. BlackDove

Actually i said the one he picked was trash, not that all PSUs other than Seasonic and Delta are trash.

I actually know the differences because i read the reviews where they disassemble and analyze the PSU down to the brand of capacitors used.

Smagjus linked to the database i use for determining which OEM makes which PSU. The CX series is rebranded CWT and their units are typically low build quality.

There are plenty of good PSUs but you need to know what to look for. Its easier to buy from one of the best manufacturers. Theres an Antec Neo Eco which is a rebranded Seasonic 620W on Newegg right now for $35 after rebate. Its $100 normally. But you need to do your research to know that.
  5. Irathi

BlackDove I think in general you got a lot of good points when you respond to tech questions about which parts to buy and what is best or best bang for buck etc / the sweetspot. You also respond to a lot of posts and deserve rep for that.

There is just one thing I don't like as much and that is how you always begin your post with something along the lines of "first you need to get a proper PSU, don't buy rebranded, buy seasonic or Delta!". Like as if it is THE most important thing this consumer will decide on when he builds his desktop.

Essentially a regular guy looking to build a desktop will be content if his PSU fullfill the following 3 criteria;

1. deliver enough W without catching fire.
    2. Don't die the first 3-4 years.
    3. deliver stable output so the pc stays stable.
    (4). a little overhead so you can potentially OC a bit.

And most medium priced PSU's will do exactly that, furthermore the price difference between getting a typical corsair 500W 80 bronze or a seasonic 750W Gold can easily become the difference between choosing a i5 4670K or GTX 970 over something else which will have a huge impact on your fps and for how long the pc will be able to keep up with the development of new games.

Btw I choose to compare the 500W against a 750W because for some reason a lot of people think that you need 750W if you want anything else than a GTX650 in your pc and consequently they also recommend 750W as "minimum". Which is simply not true anymore.. A hefty Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz + EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 barely pulls 300W Peak Load in Furmark. Leaving 200W of headroom on a standard 500W PSU.
    • Up x 3
  6. DQCraze

I have the i5 4690k oc to 4.1 8gigs of 2400 ram gtx 660 SC I run the game on ultra at 60-70 fps in heavy fights with no lag. I had AMD and im much happier with the Intel chip. Be aware you need a k series intel chip to oc it.

I spent 1500 bucks on my system with a 27 inch benQ monitor, im very happy with my water cooled system.
  7. BlackDove

If you want it to last, you need to make sure it has good capacitors and build quality. Im not telling anyone looking to build a cheap or midrange PCto go spend $300 on a PSU. The $35 Seasonic rebrand or a $70 Seasonic is cheaper than a lot of CWT Corsair garbage. Instead of making more work for someone to go do a bunch of research its just easier to buy a cheap Seasonic.

Is is the most important part in a build because it supplies power to everything and if it fails youre screwed.

And i would rather have a high quality Pentium system than an overclocked i5 with a garbage PSU.

Wattage and 80 Plus are not how people should choose their PSUs but they often do because they dont know what ripple or transient handling are and dont read the right reviews.
    • Up x 1
  8. Smagjus

Sorry, that you misunderstood my sarcasm. I meant that you have no clue of what you are talking about and everybody should disregard your advice.
  9. Shalalala

It's up to the OP what he'll listen to. I really cannot comprehend what point this guy is trying to make.

Let's see... you're right to say that DDR4 is the future. It will definitively replace DDR3 on the long run, but that is still a good time away. By the time DDR4 has completely replaced DDR3, the Haswell-E series will have been replaced too. The advantages of DDR4 compared to DDR3 are minimal on a consumer grade setup. It has advantages, but you won't be able to utilize them noticeably yet. Yes, power consumption has been optimized, but temperatures on DDR3 RAM modules are already not a huge deal anymore; the same goes for power consumption.

You see, DDR4 supporting hardware just isn't as affordable as DDR3 hardware. Yes, it will be eventually, but when exactly is hard to tell. Plus, Intel's Broadwell-K series uses LGA 1150 sockets and all LGA 1150 motherboards currently run with DDR3 just fine. DDR4 might be better in certain things, but they aren't needed. Thus, even if something is better, as long as you don't need it, it is not worth buying. For computer hardware there is a certain sweet spot: if you pay to little you might save money, but you get less for every bit you spend - same goes for expensive hardware. Compare the i7 5930K and the i7 5820K: you would be basically spending 200USD more for a few more MHz and a higher maximum number of supported PCIe lanes. It's not about getting the best product. It's about getting what you need. It'll still take a fair amount of time until DDR4 becomes standard, as normal consumers don't need it yet.

So to conclude, DDR4 is indeed the future, but it is so expensive and rarely used at the moment, that there would be no point in buying it. Setting up a system with DDR4 now would be a waste of money, as the advantages are negligible and by the time they do matter the system itself will be outdated. Plus, prices aren't attractive yet. But it's a more or less free world - so buy and think what you want.
  10. t31os

Not reading the rest of the thread....

Get yourself the best i5 you can(within your budget), compatible motherboard, 8gb of memory(you don't need anymore than that for PS2 or most games), a decent quality 500 - 600W watt PSU(yes it matters, don't skimp here), 270X or Nvidia equivalent and an SSD, and you'll be good to go.

If you need to sacrifice any of those things, drop the SSD and go for a regular drive and maybe drop the card down a model, but i'd not suggest dropping any more than that, if you have to, AMD is going to be better suited as a choice of CPU to bring the cost down. Case is irrelevant and doesn't change anything in the performance department.

If you want some better and more tailored advice(from anyone), state a budget and what parts you need, then people can link some specs for you.
    • Up x 1
  11. Shalalala

I think you meant Skylake... Not Skylane.

I think you meant this link hm? http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...t-configurable-tdps-dramatic-power-reductions

That article even said that "DDR4 won't pull ahead of DDR3 until it hits at least DDR4-2700". Skylake will supports both DDR3 and DDR4, thus DDR4 will not be mandatory, but rather an option should it indeed perform better than DDR3. And even if it does, the gain is negligible for normal consumers.

Thank you! Have a good day.

Back to OP: Just get what you chose earlier in your post, but change the CPU to an Haswell i5, e.g. i5-4690k or i5-4590. Consider getting a better PSU though.

I can't believe that such a simple thread escalated to this...
  12. Lord_Mogul

I would say if you want to play new games at high settings a complete system upgrade around every 5 years should be enough. the graphics card around half the time.
    I recommend spending at least 30% of your budget on a new system for the grapics card.

Maybe to get sure, none buys either crap or parts overpriced for their needs.
  13. t31os

At 1080p, he certainly doesn't need to be spending 30% of his budget on a GPU, that's just senseless. 30% is almost one third, if you're spending that much on a GPU, i'd question the rest of your hardware choices, unless you have some very(and i do mean very) specific requirements.