Wondering About My Future PC Build...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by thenewbie, Oct 28, 2014.

1. thenewbie

Hello everyone,

I'm posting this thread as a "Plz tell me if my future rig will be able to run PS2 at competent FPS"

And just to clarify, I haven't bought any of these parts yet so I'm open to suggestions (I'm also not listing a hard drive here because I already have two).

Specs:
    graphics card: MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5

RAM: 8GB

Case (I know this doesn't really matter, but whatever): NZXT Source 210 ELITE Midtower Case with USB 3.0

Power supply: Corsair CX Series 500 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 + Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 456 Power Supply CX500M

Processor: AMD FX- 6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Desktop Processor FD6300WMKHKBOX

Motherboard: ASRock H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Currently I use my sister's laptop to play PS2 and she needs this laptop for collage, so..... I need my own computer.
  2. Smagjus

The parts are not compatible. Get an i5-4590k instead of the AMD and you are better off. The rest is fine.

Still with the new CPU the system won't be able to do ultra at stable 60FPS but that is unreasonable to expect.
    • Up x 1
  3. user101

I hope you don't plain on running this air cooled.... ? ( water cool only) I would .. if you can afford the cost up grade the Video card to 4 GB and upgrade the power supply to 800 Watt upgrade the memory to 12 GB... I think you would find PS2 runs a whole lot better that way.

I am assuming you are going to run this 64 bits... ???

You do realize you are showing a AMD processor being used in an Intel mother board that uses an LGA1150.... those two don't mix. You need an mother board that uses an AMD processor... !!!
    • Up x 1
  4. Lord_Mogul

This post is only aimed at performance in Planetside 2 !
    Building a system for other games might focus in other directions!
    And might be a bit technical

The system sounds good so far, exept for CPU choice i think:

A friend of mine switched from a FX-6300 to an Intel Chip, because he was limited by CPU in BF4!
    And Planetside 2 is not nearly as optimized for the recent AMD architecture.
    (which is build towards heavy multitasking and lacks performance in single threaded applications. Intel's recent chips have more singe threaded performance, while also being nice in multithreading)

So if you want to build a system with the purpose of playing Planetside 2, you might choose the highest performing Intel quad core you might find (typically a nice overclocked i5-4690K or similar.)

Anything more with 4 cores might not help you with PS2, since even 4 cores wouldn't really be used!

As others have stated, the motherboard you chose is not compatible to the CPU you chose. I would recommend you to keep the motherboard and go for an i5-4670 or better (as others have stated too).

Why Intel? Intel's i5 4690, for example, beats as good as all consumer grade AMD CPU, when it comes to single threaded performance. Most (if not all) games so far are single threaded, thus Intel's i5s yield better results than AMD's CPUs, especially in games like Planetside 2, which is extremely CPU intensive.

You don't have to run it water cooled. The stock CPU coolers provided in boxed CPUs are enough. They are made by the CPU manufacturers for non-overclocked CPUs at near max performance. As long as you keep your system dust free, it'll do. If you have more than enough money though, I guess you could go for water cooling...

Do NOT go for 12 GB of RAM! Your motherboard supports dual channel, thus to get the most out of that feature, go for a RAM size that is a multiple of two and always use two or four sticks of RAM with the same specifications. In other words, don't go for 12 but instead go for 8 GB or 16 GB. For 8GB you could get four sticks with each 2GB or two sticks with 4GB, but not one stick with 4 GB and two with 2 GB. When putting in your sticks be careful to fill up one color first (I'm talking of your RAM sticks obviously... you sick puppies!). 8 - 16 GB is the current recommended setup unless you are planning on doing some memory intensive tasks, so your current choice will do.

The PSU you chose is good. 500W for a power supply is enough. Don't be cheap when choosing the power supply.

Your graphics card will do what's needed. No worries there. You will not be able to play at maxed out settings and high resolutions though, but don't worry a lot of people can't.

Oh and since you even told us the case of your choosing... Yea that's a good choice - not that is matters, but at least now you can say that there exists at least one person, who approves of your taste in PC cases :)
    • Up x 2
  6. SierraAR

I'm just going to mention that the AMD FX-8350 I was using was getting the same performance in game that Lord_Mogul said his i5 was getting. The Fx-6300 I'm pretty sure isn't quite powerful enough for the game, so I'd recommend bumping that up to the FX-8350 or the i5 3570k if you want decent, playable performance (I.e., the 40 FPS range in those huge fights).

The GPU I believe should be more than sufficient; I run on a GTX 590, and get CPU locked, even with my shiny new i7 4790 (Over 60 FPS woo)
  7. Smagjus

Please no, just no. Recommending a water cooling for an AMD FX- 6300 is just insane. The 4GB card on a relatively cheap build is a bad advice. Same as the 12GB for a dual channel system. An 800W power supply could power a SLI or a CF system, it is not suited for this one.
    Since the IPC of the i5 is higher I guess you ran different settings. Favoring an AMD CPU over an Intel ijust a bad idea for Planetside 2.
    • Up x 2
  8. user101

I think everyone is giving you good advice here. But PS2 in the future is going to be built around AMD hardware (PS4) and is taking a turn toward more memory and better video cards that use more memory. PS2 PC is a platform for future PS4 type software.
    What is good today will not meet Future PC requirements. Just good enough today is not what you want.

PS5 is just around the corner for SOE.. I am sure they are working on it right now...!!! (4GB Video) & (8-10GB) ram.. 6 core processors.... ? This is the future for SOE 3D video. You will notice all PS2 is done in 3D graphics design.
    • Up x 1
  9. Shalalala

You know... somehow I can't stop thinking that user101 is just messing with us... I mean, it's obvious we're not aiming for an high-end rig so why start talking about water cooling? Heck, you don't even need water cooling on a high-end rig, unless you'll do some serious overclocking. Even then a Noctua NH-U14S would do the job. And a 4GB GTX 760 would only become viable if you use multiple monitors...

Anyways, @OP what is actually your budget, do you know how/are you willing to overclock and what else are you planning on doing with your rig? I'm asking, because if you weren't planning on overclocking, then I'd keep my hands off Intel's K-series CPUs and if you're planning on mainly playing Planetside 2, then I'd recommend putting as much into the CPU as possible, else invest more into graphics card. And tbh I'm also a bit curious what others actually do with their gaming rigs other than gaming^^
  10. user101

You sir should read reddit more...! And what the DEV's are say they are working on. PS5 will be here in 18 months....!
  11. Shalalala

Hmm i have been on reddit quite often, but I haven't heard from anyone that the game will be requiring more VRAM anytime soon. Why should he get a 4GB graphics card? Unless they make major changes to the game, a 2GB graphics card with a solid graphic chip architecture will do. The GTX 760 is one of such cards. A 4GB GTX 760 is not sensible, considering the aims of the OP. If he wanted to run the game on three monitors @1080p then maybe a 4GB GTX 760... Or just a GTX 970 - a much more logical approach if he was building a rig with multiple monitors!

Furthermore, with the CPU OP is aiming for, water cooling is just overkill. Intel's stock air coolers will suffice unless you overclock the CPU. Even then water cooling is not mandatory. And there is nothing SOE's employees could do to change that, except for sabotaging all air coolers.

Regarding the PS5... Do we even know anything about it's specs yet? AMD is probably still the one supply APU, but afaik that's all we know for now. The game is running on DX9 and so even a lot of high-end rigs can get CPU bottlenecked. Playstation is not running on DirectX afaik, thus implementation of DX11 just because the game became available to PS4 is unlikely.

So now please tell me, what was said on reddit, that would suggest we need a graphics card with 4GB of VRAM and liquid cooling for our CPUs? And also please tell me why you told OP to get 12GB of RAM and a PSU with 800W? His build will not need 800W. We're not building something with SLI or Crossfire.
    • Up x 1
  12. thenewbie

13. thenewbie

And to answer the question of if I'm running 64 bit, yes, I have a Windows 8 64 bit install disk (I wish I could have Win 7 but whatever, that's life for you XD).
  14. Shalalala

Yes the i5 4590 will suffice for a medium ranged built. If it is within your budget, I'd suggest the i5 4690 instead. This is optional though, since the only difference iirc to the i5 4690 is the stock clock speed (200MHz). So yea go grab that CPU and everything else you've listed and I think you'll have a solid build. I expect your rig to be able to run this game perfectly fine at high settings and have a stable framerate. Don't turn shadow high though - barely noticeable effects visually and hardly unnoticeable effects on framerates.
    • Up x 2
  15. thenewbie

Ok! Thanks a lot for all your help! :D
  16. BlackDove

17. BlackDove

Lol the PS4 is like a very low end PC. PS5 will be about as good as a mid range 2014 PC is, since theyve switched to standard x86 hardware and theyre using such cheap Chinese parts that they make a profit on the hardware now. The future of consoles is like that of tablets: new generations of garbage hardware much more often thats barely better than the previous generation.

It used to be that consoles came out many years apart, were made in Japan and used custom silicon. This isnt the 90's. TVs, monitors, cars and consoles are getting cheaper and worse because the wests currencies are worthless.

If youre being serious please do some research.
    • Up x 1
  18. Shalalala

I wouldn't just go ahead and brand all Corsair PSUs as bad, simply because they might be rebranded OEMs. A rebranded OEM doesn't directly imply, that it's a low quality product. The CX series has actually been receiving very good reviews thus far. You are right to say that Seasonic and Delta PSUs are amongst the best, but I would disagree heavily with the claim that Corsair's or Thermaltake's PSUs aren't almost equally reliable. Some of them might suck, but instead of labeling the whole brand as crap, I would only label a certain series as bad or good. So @OP just look at some reviews of the CX500M and you'll see that there aren't any real complaints.

The GTX 970 costs significantly more than the GTX 760. OP is clearly aiming for a mid-range built. I agree completely that the GTX 970 is a great purchase (I got the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX), but only if the money for it is available. Thus, wouldn't it be better to recommend the GTX 970 as an alternative, if the money for it is available? Sadly/Luckily no one poops money, so when recommending hardware you can't just tell people more than they could afford.

@OP Your PSU should be fine. And your graphics card... Well, albeit it's not the newest anymore, but it'll do what is needed. IF you can afford the GTX 970, then yea sure go for it, why not?
    • Up x 2
  19. Lord_Mogul

Correct, I know a list of PSUs of almost any manufaturer. Even FSP makes decent PSUs
    http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=926679
    (It is in german, but that doesn't change the informations. Those who don't know german, can use a translator, but the used color scheme and PsU names are readible anyway)
  20. Irathi

@OP Everything this man said is correct. For PS2 the GTX 760 will do just fine, actually it will do more than just fine (I have one). The GTX 970 is my current next desired upgrade path, however I have yet to experience a single moment in PS2 where I've felt that I needed more than the GTX760.. So for now I'm not upgrading.

and to Shalalala - I've tried that with BlackDove..., but he clings firmly to the belief that the PSU is the most important part of your desktop and that anything other than Seasonic or Delta is trash.. Ignoring critics and reviews praising other brands despite it being a rebranded product.

Really cheap PSU's = bad / really bad
    Medium priced PSU's = usually OK
    Semi-Expensive PSU's = almost always OK and also very good
    Really expensive PSU'S = over priced regardless of brand

Will the average consumer notice the difference in quality? - probably only if he buys the really cheap models and then stress it too much.
    • Up x 3