[Suggestion] Get rid of bullet "impact" flash

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vadnais, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Vadnais

For those who may not know, you've probably noticed that extremely large flash that plays whenever you fire at someone. I'd like to see this go away. Beyond the fact that its often larger than the person i'm shooting at, making follow-up shots a guessing game, its also not truely indicative of where my rounds are ACTUALLY landing.

At least as far as TR infantry weapons are concerned, i've noticed the flashes all play low and left of the center point for sights (and yes this is even during recoil correction, so the graphic itself is configured to display this way), creating an illusion that your rounds are impacting in a different place than they actually are. This isn't an empire specific issue, either, as i've messed around with both NC and Vanu to discover they also suffer from the same issue.

For some of you this may seem like a small nitpick, but knowing what limited things I do know about game development, this is also an easy thing to change. Just to wager a guess it would likely take less than a day to remove the code that causes the flash image to play since its just something that gets displayed on a players UI and doesn't actually have anything to do with where the round physically hits in the game.
  2. ColonelChingles

I'm not sure I follow... it sounds like you want to get rid of muzzle flash?

But muzzle flash doesn't have anything to do with where your shots are going... those would be tracers. If you're trying to use muzzle flash to aim... :confused:

Getting rid of muzzle flash would be a bit odd... might as well get rid of guns making noise when you fire them or something. Guns flash when you shoot them. That's how guns work.

If you really don't like muzzle flash, you might want to attach a flash suppressor or a noise suppressor to whatever firearm you happen to be using. Both these attachments will reduce your visible muzzle flash so it won't bother you so much.

EDIT- Nevermind, I think you're talking about the little "sparks" that fly when and where your rounds impact the enemy. Never noticed those to be off, really.
  3. Jerox

What sparks do you mean? If OP is talking about muzzle flash he/she can forget it. SOE is surely not going to change something like that, take out all the Flash Supressor attachments and go through the effort to refund all the certs to everyone who bought flash suppressors.
    • Up x 1
  4. CNR4806

What OP is talking about is the impact effect of bullets.

Go to your warpgate, grab your gun and shoot any friendly to see this. You'll notice the guy sparkling as brightly as a certain bland boring vampire in daylight.

Not exactly a problem for me though, just pointing you in the right direction.
    • Up x 3
  5. Hatesphere

All my impact flashes seem to be striking the proper spot with my TR weapons so I am not sure what OP is talking about, I find them quite useful as a visual indicator at range of how much I am missing by.
  6. DorianOmega

Flash suppressor(?).
  7. TraatAdmiral

Pretty sure the flash is supposed to be the guy's shields flaring as they take the shot.
    • Up x 1
  8. Xasapis

That looked pretty when PhysX was working.
    • Up x 2
  9. TriumphantJelly

FTFY.
  10. Vadnais

Correct.
    Like I said, for some people this is a small nitpick, but its getting pretty annoying to me. Especially with how over-sized the graphic itself is. If it was at least smaller, or scaled to the range of the target you're shooting, that would at least be better. Though i'd prefer they simply do away with it.
  11. TheBloodEagle

Make the game more visually simplistic and kill any immersive qualities plzzzz.
  12. Meir33

what the OP is talking about is the flash when the bullet hits the target not the muzzle flash
  13. DatVanuMan

I think he's talking about the red X that displays when you land a shot.
    I SAID I THINK!
  14. Meir33

you see this all the time on vanu weapons when the shots actually impact the target it's annoying to say the least and blinding at night
  15. Hatesphere

the post really makes me think he is talking about the sparks that flash wherever your rounds hit.
  16. DatVanuMan

You mean the Halo-like stuff that appears to be white?
  17. Vadnais

again, correct.

Im not talking about the red X, i'm talking about the "spark" people are talking about, its NOT muzzle flash, its viewable through ANY optic used even with the flash hider equipped and, in my opinion, is extremely obstructive.
  18. Cest7

So... you want to get rid of bullet impact?

Turn off your particles lol
  19. Jerox

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation.
    Imo it's not that big of a problem. A few times though when I shot a VS Heavy and the player turned on their heavy shield, it was as bright as the sun in cqc. Like, I really couldn't see the guy because he became this intense light blob :/. Sadly I don't have any footage of it though.
  20. Vadnais

Is there some configuration file i can change for that? Because there is no "off" option in the games graphic settings