Useless Weapons of Planetside2...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Psycobyte, Oct 25, 2014.

1. DFDelta

Thre is nothing useless, except for the decoy grenades.
    Everything else makes stuff die if you point it at them and click your mouse enough, or covers some other role.

Decoys are useless because they don't even do anything except for making a little noise, that 90% of all players will not even notice anyways because of their complete lack of awareness.

Sure, some things are incredibly underwhelming, like Spiker, MAX-Anchor mode, heal grenades, flashbangs...
    ...but they are not "useless".
  2. EGuardian1

As someone who's killed a Lightning with a Candy Cannon - yes. All weapons have their use. :)

Don't believe me?

3. MiniSentrygun

The candycannon damages armor?
  4. Dracorean

Useless weapon? I don't really think weapons are useless in this game, some are underused but you have people who would still enjoy the little perks those weapons offer.

The only actual useless equipment I know of is the decoy grenade, given that its pretty obvious that its not actually a 'person'. Some of the side arms are pretty ineffective when it comes to performance, not useless but not very effective. The Commissioner you pointed out there is probably the most overused and strongest side arm anyone from any faction can carry. Not sure how it can be considered 'useless' when it takes 2-3 shots to kill with it and that everyone and their kids are carrying the dam thing.

Burst weapons are a little bit pointless, given other weapons have similar settings that change their fire settings. Explosive grenade launchers are also a bit pointless to use, given that they wont really explode when too close, and they cant reach far enough for it to be used without getting yourself killed. Launchers are also kinda pointless, unless facing specific targets, ES dumb fire ones do not have much of a use unless you cant afford a decimator, vehicle lock on launchers don't seem much different though its fairly easy to combat fast moving targets like harassers or dodgy magriders.

On a personal note, I cannot see much of a point to sticky nades, sure they stay put where you throw it, but I'd rather have a grenade that can stick to vehicles and damage them rather than infantry.
  5. Auzor

A lot of the implants are downright wrong.

-Here you go, spot mines from 20m away. And C4 too, sure, why not.
    -Then there is the thermal vision on vehicles, which helps tremendously to see mines. And enemies trying to hide in bushes and whatnot.

enhanced targetting and battle hardened: eh.
    The screen shake is too big when hit with minimal damage from explosives, but hey, here is an implant against it!

the one that protects from concussion and flash grenades: nononono n oooooo

awareness: autospot enemies that damage you, unless they're using a silencer. It spots, even if they kill you.

Sensor shield: stay of enemy motion sensors. Why does this even exist?

Marker: autospot enemies whom you damage.
    Can you imagine this with LOLpods? AV grenades into a room. etc.
  6. OldMaster80

There are very few useless things in PS2 imho.
    - ZOE almost disappeared after the nerf.
    - TR Trap-M1. That's not totally useless but it's clearly undeperforming and absolutely not worth the investment.
    - Regarding vehicles the Valkyrie is in such a situations some devs should feel ashamed.

Mainly for Stalker Infiltrators, as they usually don't run but walk crouched in order to remain unseen.
  7. Einharjar

There's really no useless weapon per-se.

Just underperforming ones.

The only "useless" thing I see is how most weapons are basically variants of the same class. PS2 could easily remove half of it's armory by combining that the useless variants into single default weapons.

However, they can't do this.

The game is Free to Play and one of it's Microtransaction Models is the purchase of Weapon items.

SO they need to bloat the inventory for you to give you the illusion of choice and hope you buy several times.

This is one of the shocking ways (yes i know everyone loves the F2P model like it's amazing for gaming) F2P is BAD for a game. It doesn't spur creativity, but instead over saturates it.

You purposely release designs and options in chunks with the goal on monetizing the creative desgins rather than creating truly polished, COMPLETE design.

More doesn't equal Better; it's all I'm saying.

But despite how each weapon has a variant with some ******edly tacked on perk is an obvious cash grab; they're not useless.

They just... may under perform.
  8. Jerox

While I don't really see how the Commisioner sucks I do agree that there are plenty of weapons that don't really have a place in the game imo.

And I'm talking about all the copy and paste weapons. Identical or close to identical look, give it slightly different stats, slap a different name on it and bam, new weapon :D. It's lazy imo and I wish it would get changed but it'll probably cost SOE more than what it will earn them so I doubt they'll ever give all those copy and paste guns a revamp.
  9. LodeTria

If a vehicle is burning to death, and you get the last shot to hit it you get the kill credit regardless of whether or not you do actual damage. You can get 25xp vehicle assists with the AI guns this way too, so long as you hit them once.
  10. DatVanuMan

ARGH, the cuteness! STAHP!
    P.S. I wish that you, for one day, could make a picture that I'd actually like, and place it into your sig. PLEASE, do it.
  11. libbmaster

Well, there is that.

But if they don't use it, they won't learn... and it's not like we don't already have smoke everywhere.

EDIT: honestly, I'm more worried about UGBL spam, but even then it won't come close to being the most annoying thing in the game.
  12. libbmaster

Now imagine that your Gauss compact had an ROF of 600 instead of 577.

That adaptability is why I want all of the variants rolled into the starter guns: rookies need that weapon to be functional in every situation, even if it's not the best. The jack-of-all-trades thing is the default weapon's selling point, and is the foundation of the game's weapon balance. (Every thing is a side grade, and the like.)
  13. ATRA_Wampa-One

Corvus
    Pulsar VS1
    Equinox
    Equinox Burst
    (yes, VS has 4 crap AR's)
    Cerberus
    Spiker (getting buffed so hopfully removed soon)
    Pulsar LSW
    Solstice Burst
    ZOE

Restricting it to VS infantry weapons only since that's what I main.
  14. -Synapse-

Error 404, invalid request.
    Does not compute.
    Initiate self-destruct.
  15. TheBloodEagle

Vehicle wise, Tomcasts. Nerfed & compared to other weapons beyond useless.