How to use shotguns?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Redwave, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Redwave

Seriously imho shotguns are just horrid. I am trying to get 800 kills with shotguns for my LA directive yet it is so difficult doing so. I have the Mauler S6 with 1x, ext mags, and I add/remove slugs. Man what a bad weapon. Today I bought the LA39 Bruiser see if I can be more effective and it's just the same.... How do you guys use these horrible things?
  2. Iridar51

• Up x 1
  3. Redwave

Oh yes that's right you have a shotgun section it's that I just read carbine and smg sections that I forgot there is a shotgun section, thank you Iridar
  4. Corezer

I could tell you, but I would get banned...
  5. Roland2TowerCame

Very simple, with the starter shotguns,
    1) Pick Target
    2) Get Close
    3) Shoot and HIT Target Three Times
    Now, if you go to VR, you can definitely kill in two normal shots or one headshot, but under live fire, you want to be sure and some pellets probably missed.
  6. Roland2TowerCame

and they could be using Nanoweave
  7. Redwave

What? Why?
  8. Redwave

That helps
  9. Nehlis

Focus on getting close. Pick indoor battles above all else, if you're in an open field fight, you will lose. If you are out of the 10-15 meter range you will lose. With pump actions you need that golden 1Hit kill, though if you miss you will have to be lucky enough to be alive long enough for the follow up shot. Aim for center of mass, the chest instead of the head.
    Hipfire whenever possible, unless they're tickling the edge of the 10-15 meter mark.
    For non-pumps always expect a 2-3 hit kill within 10 meters, and keep firing past that.
    Abuse corners and clientside detection, since alpha damage will be key in that case.
    Expect to take hits, this is CQC.
    • Up x 1
  10. blackboemmel

If shotguns are difficult to use for you, stay away from the Bruiser!
    I guess for you the AF-57 Piston will be the best shotgun to start with.
    The Mauler will be veeery strong after you practised with the ("i win"-) Piston.
    No scope, NO SLUGS, just extended mag:
  11. MartenV

Make shure that you are very close (like 5m) from there you just point and click two or three times, you escape, you reload. Repeat
  12. ObsidianRus

No slugs on pump action. Auraximed both barrage and nghthawk with slugs and 2x scope. If you have a good aim will serve you better that without slugs in most situations.
    General tip^ watch not only where you move, but also how when you shoot. And tactics ofcourse.
  13. Corezer

Apparently they don't like posts about child *********** or sacrificing the virgin **** blood of 14 year old boys, but basically you need to embrace your inner scumbag...
  14. SeanFree

1.) Go to 96+ tower fights
    2.) Abuse latency and click LMB when you see enemies.
    3.) ????
    4.) Profit.
    • Up x 1
  15. lawn gnome

if you don't like actual "shotgun" gameplay then give your shotguns slug rounds and use it like a poor man's sniper rifle. my nova kills guys at any range in under 3 shots (2 shots in CQC). slap on a 4x scope and you can easily drop snipers at range. hip fire with slugs is mostly useless since it uses the shotgun COF, but with proper use of a scope and sufficient understanding of drop i can easily out play most "snipers" in this game.
    • Up x 1
  16. Odiogn

First, let me say this...

It is much more tactically difficult to use shotguns than any other infantry weapon. (Except for the knife)
    Anyone who thinks shotguns are easy to use is quite literally a moron.

The more close ranged a weapon is, the more tactics are required; the more long ranged a weapon is, the more aim is required.

So... the knife requires the most tactics and very very little aim. A sniper requires almost no tactics, but very very good aim.

I made this little chart so you can have more of a visual idea of what I am talking about.

Tactics Weapons Aim
    10 Knife 0
    8 Shotguns 2
    6 SMG's 4
    5 Pistols 5
    3 (LMG's & Riffles) 7
    1 Snipers 9

You need to work on your tactics!

Focus on moving in and out of cover to close distance.

I would suggest never engaging unless you are within 10 meters of the target.

Try to gravitate towards indoor CQC (close quarters combat) environments.

Aim for the chest.

Good luck!
    • Up x 2
  17. lawn gnome

i mostly agree with you assessment but the one gun that thoroughly breaks your trend is the lasher.

medium range (actually i have found it to be effective at almost any range once you understand it properly, i have harassed snipers out at render range effectively before) with almost no aim required (it actively fights precision shooting), but TONS of tactical play.
  18. Flapatax

Being "good" with shotguns is just about picking the right fights.

Lots of corners in a small environment means as long as you're aggressive the netcode is working for you and you can take advantage of those OHK's or the supreme ez-mode that is FA shotguns.

If you're running across a lot of open ground, you shouldn't have a shotgun equipped.

If you want to get better at the game in general, for that matter, you shouldn't have a shotgun equipped. It forgives poor aim and leads to bad habits with how you handle encounters. Lots of ****** players with pump actions miss the first shot and get in the habit of trying to keep going for the second, then transfer that to other weapons--basically never learning to reset engagements.
  19. DrBash00

Maby you ask the guys who make threats about "shotguns beeing OP", they should give you good answers.... (well... no they wont ^^)

But its pretty easy. Flank your Enemys, try to reach jump jets where you can land behind your enemys (without them noticing you) and stay close to walls and corners, so all engages are under 10 - 20m so the shotgun is the superior weapon.

And then just pull the trigger with the right timing ;-).
    The standart shotguns are normaly good so you dont really need another one.
  20. Copasetic

Practice with slugs for a while and you'll have a weapon that works great at all ranges. Especially on the LA, it's like a better version of the battle rifle once you get the hang of it. As lawn gnome said though forget about hip firing at anything more than 5m away.