[Suggestion] Burst Weapon Functionality

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BobSanders123, Oct 19, 2014.

1. BobSanders123

Burst weapons are currently really bad at what they do and are rather boring to use from their automatic coumterparts.

To make them easier and better at mid-long range, burst weapons should fire three rounds extremely quickly, faster then their automatic counterparts, but in between each burst there is an x second delay. This increases accuracy by forcing the user to wait between bursts, and gives them time to adjust their aim. At the same time this makes these weapons worse in CQC, making their automatic counterparts the obvious choice for such engagements.

*edit: fixed some bad grammar*
    • Up x 3
  2. miraculousmouse

Agreed they suck
  3. sustainedfire

Its a fair idea. Burst weapons are very weak in comparison to their full auto counterparts. They could just be reintegrated into the main weapon as a firing option. I think it would be great if they improved burst weapons in some way to actually make them some sort of sidegrade, instead of just being a straight downgrade.
  4. Fellgnome

No one would use them with a delay. They'd be way too bad at close-mid range. Plus it's just clunky not having control of the weapon for periods of time. And there are currently automatics that handle mid-long range very well without losing most of their potency at short ranges.
  5. patrykK1028

I agree that burst fire weapons suck (look at my sig), but your idea isnt good. Just look at Spiker and that f****ng delay between bursts.
  6. Nehlis

I think they should remove the first shot bonus CoF recoil from burst fire weapons specifically. That would make them significantly easier to control.
  7. BobSanders123

Perhaps they could also have a lower damage drop off. Meaning they stop doing 143, 143, 167 damage at 15m or 20m by default.
    Another thing would be to reduce the first shot recoil by a tad bit.
  8. Sossen

Would make no difference if the average RPM was the same.
    • Up x 1
  9. z1967

Agreed, and the last bullet in the burst could carry the recoil of the preceding bullets. This allows you to spam the trigger in CQC, but also allow you to fire accurately at range. However, there should be some recoil within the burst, so that the weapon isn't too powerful at longer ranges.
  10. Nehlis

Probably switch the Bonus First Shot recoil to Last shot recoil, so that the third bullet in the burst has additional recoil rather than the first shot. That would make it easier to aim the burst, but forces a CoF reset for long ranges.
  11. Fellgnome

It would make a difference. Your crosshair isn't always on target when you need it to be, people move around. It would feel random/unreliable/clunky not being able to fire while you have a target in sights. Plus if your first burst doesn't kill - which for balance it probably shouldn't unless you get all headshots or something - then your target has a convenient period of time to turn and locate you or find cover or whatever.

I am 100% certain it would be awful and they wouldn't get a lot of use unless the bursts did so much damage they were overpowered.
    • Up x 1
  12. libbmaster

It's a good point.

Didn't BF4 switch the first shot recoil multiplier to the last shot for burst weapons? That seems like an interesting solution, along with the ROF increase.

Although I honestly want to see all the burst fire and "S" variant weapons have their abilities rolled into the starter weapons. Burst fire, attachments and all. It would remove a whole bunch of redundant weapons, and would make the starter weapons even more competitive.
  13. Xhaleon

Technically the Desperado uses what you suggest; a faster cyclic rate with a delay between bursts to lower the effective fire rate. It does prove that SOE has done it before and can do it again.

I personally think that they should remove or reduce the first shot recoil multiplier during burst fire of all burst weapons and especially weapons that have both full-auto and burst mode on the selector switch, although the tiny moving cone of fire advantage might have to be rescinded to be fair. On a select-fire weapon with all three modes, I feel that the burst mode is completely superfluous and just gets in the way whenever I want to switch between them, since it has no inherent advantage over full auto. The training benefit of a burst weapon doing all the hard work of controlling COF bloom is useful to newer players, but is easily reproducible with an automatic weapon.
  14. Plorf

This change + put FSRM on the last shot of each burst. There, burst weapons are fixed
  15. DrPapaPenguin

Well, some burst weapons like SABR-13 and TRAP are actually quite good. I assume you mean the burst fire variants of default ARs and carabines?
  16. WyrdHarper

The SABR has a negative FSRM, and the TRAP's is pretty low. The other burst weapons have a high FSRM, meaning that if you aim for the head, usually a bullet or two miss, which defeats the purpose. Bad hit detection is really compounded with these weapons because they rely on accuracy instead of high ROF.
  17. Pineapple Pizza!

The last-shot-recoil idea sounds great, but...these guns still seem kind of pointless.

Couldn't they scrap the burst variants, then integrate that feature (along with the smaller starting ads CoF) into all the other guns that have fire-mode options?
  18. BobSanders123

List of currently thought out solutions:

1) Higher RPM per bursts coupled with a small firing delay.

2) Lower first shot recoil multiplier to increase accuracy.

3) Remove first shot recoil multiplier entirely and add a last shot recoil multiplier.

4) Higher RPM per burst with no first shot recoil multiplier, and add a last shot recoil multiplier.

5) Screw trying to fix burst weapons and get rid of the useless and redundant weapon currently in-game.