[Suggestion] SPAWN CAMPING and the easy fix

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rentago, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Rentago

Veterans probably knew this since 2006, but seeing as how this issue hasn't been actually handled well since beta till today I think its about time we inform you forum goers about how things should work, because if everyone yells the same idea hopefully the developers will eventually hear it on reddit or something.

Spawn camping is prevalent, not because of the bases and their design (though it does influence it) but for the fact that spawn rooms are literally just rooms you can not turn off, people who die will immediately respawn back in that box where they can't do ANYTHING from other than shoot from it or run outside and die.

Anyone with common sense immediately would say, "Well if we just stopped them from spawning in there they'd be forced to spawn elsewhere where they can regroup and begin a counterattack."

instead what we have is everyone stays in the spawn room till the base gets overtaken completely allowing people to run in there and mop them up, by the time they respawn in the neighboring base, the enemies are already spawn camping them again because they weren't even putting an offense up the whole time they were sitting in a lost cause for a spawn point.

We could do the age old trailed and proven method of the first game, which no one seems to want to shove in the developer's face anymore because only the veterans bothered with it and they already gave up fighting the community who promotes bad game design.

What I'm talking about is:

Let the spawn tubes be destroyed, much like terminals or base turrets. Allow people to destroy a shield generator, hack a terminal, or SOMETHING to shut down the shields to the spawn room and its pain field, and allow the opposing force destroy the spawn tubes shutting out the defending team entirely.

Now this shouldn't be easy enough for one man to do, we don't want a single infiltrator to run into an empty base and do it by themselves, those spawn tubes should be allowed to take some massive abuse, it should be a fight to shut them down for good while defenders are pouring out of them trying to stop you from doing it.

It should require people to do something tricky, like hack two terminals within 20 seconds of eachother or else they reset if done one at a time, in order to finally get that shield and painfield down, we could make this EXCITING.

However, at least this will make the game as a whole function a lot nicer, believe me, this wouldn't be hard to implement, a while back they had a terminal that by destroying would shut down spawns, but they always put them in the worse possible locations, like they'd be way outside where it would be impossible to defend.

We need to be able to go INTO the spawn rooms and give those people a reason to fight for something, the eventual removal of its occupants, and the best way to do that and its pretty easy to implement, is just give the spawn tubes some hit points and allow them to be repaired and destroyed.

I don't like the idea of a single spawn control generator thing, its a terrible idea, and doesn't resolve the issue that SPAWN CAMPING is a necessity since its the only thing you can do since its the closest to killing off the spawn room.

The developers haven't been yelled at enough about this, you guys on the forums haven't done your part, they go to reddit where they stay in their hug box of compliments and zero criticism. Someone needs to shove this down their throat repeatedly till they implement it once and for all.
    • Up x 1
  2. LibertyRevolution

Tie spawn room shields to the control point.
    When the point flips, you have failed to defend, and you lose your spawn protection.

I am tired of the spawn camping on both sides of the 1 way glass.
  3. Rentago

Isn't that how it currently is, or you mean when it flips and is building up to the capturing empire?
  4. DatVanuMan

So, attackers benefit...
    What about defenders? If you want to FIX spawn camping, you have to make sure NO ONE wants to, or make it so that no one CAN camp. Reducing xp won't do crap, and making spawn kills value as a non-kill still won't do anything. Instead, you can do three things:
    1. Make defenders WANT to go out there and face thousands of tons of conventional explosives from twin-barreled tanks. I.E. Five-second invincibility, only you can not reenter the spawn room. Something that makes the defenders confident that they'll go down with a fight.
    2. Make attackers feel that spawn camping is useless and really limits a fight. For example, being 20 or less meters (Or whatever the appropriate distance is) away from the spawn starts taking away certs every second. Or, you might start taking damage (Sort of like painfields, only these are larger and deal less damage, but still hurt). Make the attackers feel that camping will only harm them, not benefit them.
    OR
    3. Make the design as to not allow the defenders to be camped. For example, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 was a game were people spawned AT the control points. Never have I once been spawn camped, and both "attackers" and "defenders" had to spawn RIGHT OUT IN THE OPEN in order to fight. Or, make the game so it is like BattleStations: Midway, where the attackers (Usually the Americans, but other times the Japanese) are so far away from each other. A tech plant shield should do the trick.
    • Up x 4
  5. LibertyRevolution

I mean as soon as the enemy flips the point their color, the shields should drop on the spawn rooms.
    So what is now the starting point of the capture, should drop the shields.

You can have your 4 or 7mins to defend, but you will be doing so from an unshielded spawn room.

If you lost the point, then the enemy is already in the base, and you failed in my opinion.

The defenders should not get 4-7mins to regroup in the base in a protected room to form a defense...
    They should have to defend proactively if they want to keep a protected spawn.
    Not redeployside over to it in the last min to organize a re-secure push.
    • Up x 1
  6. WTSherman

Remove spawn rooms.

Done. :p
  7. FateJH

So this really isn't a solution to spawn camping at all, since spawn camping is still necessary by this system, to maintain aggression against the tubes and keep defenders from pushing out? It's just something to do to make the defenders more vulnerable and less convenienced in their own home throughout the fight?
  8. BULLET010

In order to fix spawn camping the devs have to balance zergs first.

What if a zerg could take down the spawn shield? Most certainly the home faction would redeploy instead of getting farmed over and over. Then the zerg would have no one to kill leaving them to wait for the countdown time much more often.
  9. Rovertoo

Someone suggested making contested bases neutral unless they have an SCU. So spawn rooms would be used to spawn at the nearest base to go to the nearest battle instead of spawning directly there. This would remove spawn camping (save for SCU bases, but those have SCUs, so...) as well as increase the amount of battles between bases, something we don't have enough of. I think this is a great idea to stop spawn camping, as well as redeploy-side, and add strategy and more varied fights.
    • Up x 4
  10. Tuco

So spawncamping is a direct result of being underpopulated and pushed into your spawn (losing a battle) and your solution is to make it easier for the attacker and harder for the defender.

awesome
    • Up x 5
  11. FactionTraitsFTW

Good ideas.
  12. ZomboWTF

As long as there is a static spawn for defenders they will be camped

OP is right, though it can be even easier:
    Give every single base an SCU that is hackable when half the cap time is over, spawncamping fixed

additionally, give people the option to drop once and then every five minutes
    at a base being catured where the SCU is down, right at the point
  13. DatVanuMan

Thanks, man:)
  14. Rentago

What I said wasnt promoting spawn camping, i was saying to allow it to come to an end, destroying the spawn tubes directly and not just cutting off spawns since people will still be sitting in the spawn room regardless if the scu is destroyed or not.

i dont want a terminal outside the spawn room, i want the attackers to get inside that very camp box and end it instead of surrounding it from the outside for the duration of the cap.

I want people to be kicked right out of the spawn room and immediately move to an adjacent base instead of sitting in a protective safe room for 10 minutes surrounded.
  15. SerasVic

If you are getting spawn camped, that is because you lost the fight to begin with , either by being underpopulated or having less organisation (air support, medics, armor, etc ...)

So there is no fix for this, if you lost you lost.

Is it fun to spawn camp or be spawn camped? No
    What force you to being spawn camped? Nothing, it's your choice to sit here like a dumbduck.

Redeploy to next base, prepare defence, and start battle again with better odds.

The solution of the OP is making attacking side having easier time and fix nothing.
  16. SerasVic

There is no fix for stupidity, if they want to stay here only to get farmed that's their choice.
  17. AlCohonez

If there will be some sort of terminals to hack or destroy people will just leave them and continue to camp the spawn.

It will be much better if something is automatic, like dropping the spawn protection or just loosing the ability to spawn from that location altogether, making people to use the next base to regroup.
  18. Rentago

i want you to realize that this game isnt the deep tactical game it once was, this is battlefield planetside, the audience it targets needs to be forcefully guided, and this doesnt make it easier for the attackers, this removes one of the biggest issues this game has, people fighting at the camp box and not over the base.

you dont think that forcing people to get a sunderer, or to just not sit in the camp box is such a horrible thing you'd actually defend it?

are you actually telling me its better to continue the camping from base to base instead of promote fights between bases and over bases?

Are you denying that the autospawn doesnt just put you in the closest spawn point you died from (the camp box) and not alternatives?

Do you think people really play this game because this is the rainbow six of mmos?
  19. SerasVic

It's not a tactical game.

The game is not about capturing bases. The game is about accomplishing something and having fun with teamwork (or not).

Bases capture is here so your fights are not always the same, that's all.

Sorry if it saddens you, but actually it is a MMO rainbow six.
  20. Rentago

yeah ive thought about that too, i just thought the defenders should have to be forcefully kicked out, as what causes spawn camping is literally the inability to end the spawning and remove the inhabitants of the spawn room, and to stop those people from retaliating you are forced to camp it.

instead of going through the process of conquering the spawn room and ending the fight from inside, forcing people to begin attacking from the outside in and if a zerg, preparing defenses and attempting to fight in regions imbetween bases.