New crossbow scopes <3

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by CuteBeaver, Oct 1, 2014.

1. CuteBeaver

Its a sad day for me, as my beloved HDS 3.4x scope will be moved exclusively to the TR arsenal. Sadly not even TR will have access to it on their crossbows either. However the new NS Scopes coming out tomorrow look pretty awesome. In terms for the crossbow this is pretty significant change because of the benefits and drawbacks of the new scopes we get access to.

The LANS 3.4x

I did a little comparisons and while the new LANS 3.4x looks similar to the HDS 3.4x ... I cannot use this scope in the same way. Imagine the LANS forces you to wear high heels, and in doing so shifts your viewpoint slightly. If you were using the blue/pink dot at the bottom of the crossbow as a guide for 150m shots, your no longer going to be able to do this with the LANS. The new viewpoint changes the distance that corresponds to the point of reference of your weapon. It alters everything significantly and if you were using negative space for gap shooting then I would highly recommend going with the NiSGO 3.4x. The good news? If you force yourself to relearn all distances to targets... then its possible to quickly shoot farther then 150 meters using the blue dot at the bottom. Otherwise this scope is just badnews to me. Honestly the LANS is my least favorite because of how it plays with your mind. It looks so similar to the HDS (and chevron equivalent) but every shot you make based on past memory is going to be wrong.

NiSGO 3.4x

The most similar to the HDS 3.4x (and chevron equivalent) which means all the drops are the same. So there is no need to go relearning absolutely everything. The biggest issue for me is how the bright red triple chevrons obscure my targets bodies at a distance. With the crossbow you have to see what your targets actually doing. If you ACTUALLY want to hit a moving target this scope really makes things that much more difficult. The upside? it has triple chevrons which some people swear by. Makes sense considering I do this with the blue/pink orbs at the bottom. I will probably be using this to start with for sanity's sake.

Quadra 4x

This scope has promise. Thin red lines in the shape of a + sign which extend downwards. The tips of the cross designate roughly 150 meters of drop distance. The red lines make body shots much easier and I'v shown very good results having never used a 4x scope previously. I'd recommend this one over the Tetra 4x (chevron) alternative.

NiCO XR 2x (Purple Cross)

I know this might sounds silly, but I have had fantastic results with the NiCO XR in terms of medium range. The purple cross basically does all the guesswork with drop for you. Just fire when the bottom purple line is on target. My only concern, is a 2x scope doesn't favor the weapons entire potential range, and with this scope I would be potentially missing headshots when I wanted to make them. However its very tempting to have that kind of reactionary bonus.

There are many more you can check out tomorrow, but I wanted to highlight at least 3 of my favorites, and the one bad apple. I am curious what other crossbow users think of the new scopes? Which one will you be switching to?
    • Up x 2
  2. Mahaut

Did they change the 2x red dot scope too? 'cause, yeah, I kinda auraxiumed my first crossbow with it, still use it on my new one, and learned to guess the drop the hard way according to the size and elevation of the target. And it works for me: I got 67% accuracy on my first crossbow, 70% on my second.

Also, I like scratching my naked back with nettles.

Sorry, just ignore me, I have no taste in scopes.
    • Up x 1
  3. Nakar

The Tetra 4x chevron scope is actually quite awesome in my experience on PTS (haven't messed with it on Live). The chevrons are good indicators of headshot angle at certain ranges out to about 100m. You just alternate between putting the point of a given chevron on someone's head or putting the chevron on top of their head like a little hat. Just have to get a feel for each range and you're good to go... on mostly stationary targets. It does seem to interfere a bit against moving ones.

Also, all chevron sights will require some degree of readjustment as almost all of them were horrifically off-center. The VS 3.4x single chevron for instance used to shoot below the chevron itself and now shoots at the point of the chevron. A critical visual distinction with weapons that lack bullet drop like the Nyx.
    • Up x 2
  4. CACAMAN

Used the 3x chevron scope till I got the auraxium medal with the crossbow and have been using the NISGO since the update. Loving the new scopes so far and the fact that u can now see the chevron sights while cloaked.
    • Up x 1
  5. MisterSlim

My most prominent thought on the release of these new scopes is: "Oh my god.. Now I can reliably see the reticle while cloaked!". I haven't gotten the chance to really experiment with all of the new optics (and am kind of disappointed in the lack of new SR optics), but I look forward to it over the next few days.
    • Up x 2