Curiosity about lone wolfing and small squad play classes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chryvrius, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Chryvrius

Heyo PS2 forums, I've been wondering which class can perform or have the most versatility in lone wolfing or squad play? (vehicles can apply too!)

(Please no " DIS IS A BIG MMO GAYME AD U SHULD PLAY IN BEG SQUD IF U DUNT U SHULD GO PLAY COW OH DOOTY", I'm simply asking a question and just want a general answer, not your jaded opinion on someone else's playstyle)
  2. z1967

Lightnings and ESFs are great lonely person vehicles. Light Assault and Infiltrator rarely interact or are around friendlies, so there is no reliance on allies.

For small squads I would go with Sunderers, Liberators, MBTs, and Harassers. Infantry Classes would be Medics, MAXes, and Engis with some HAs on the side.
    • Up x 1
  3. MotionBlured

Anything can used if you're good enough, or near a terminal.
    • Up x 1
  4. Mahaut

Infiltrator. Especially sniper and stalker, as playing those near allies gets you killed more often than not. You don't need a squad to help your side with dart spam and spot and key target dispatches (and spawn the occasional epic back door sundie when you feel like being a hero). Only concern is ammo resupply, but in big enough battles it's not too hard to find random packs left behind by both enemies and allies, and in small ones you can hack yourself a terminal if there is one around or hit redeploy if it's the only option. Also, regeneration implant ftw.
  5. Yeahy

6. Ribero

[Class whose weapons you like] + Med/Resto Kits.

Because you sure as hell can't count on the randoms for Heals.
    • Up x 3
  7. Prudentia

Galaxy. obviously.
    Non troll post if anyone is wondering
  8. Alkezo

If I'm lone-wolfing I enjoy HA. I get a lot of ammo, rocket launcher (almost always AA lock-on) and survivability.

If I'm leading my small squads I'm generally Engineer or Medic. Small squad play is really fun when you can find small to medium sized fights. I love driving my Battlebus around too. Liberators are also fun when its just three guys. MBTs are great when you can get a few and a Sundy or two.

I probably have the most fun in this game just having 8 or less people in a squad.
  9. Cransoon

Even though I run with an outfit, the majority of the time I do lonewolf play because of schedule, etc. Heavy assault has been working really well for me recently. Specifically with med kits, or a restoration implant, so you don't have to rely on medics. Light assault and infiltrator both work really well as lone wolf classes as well. The MAX can work, but you'd want to max out nanite auto-repair for it to be feasible. And even then, losing FLAK armor just because you don't have an engi around kinda sucks (in my opinion at least). Engi and Medic are support classes, so as the name implies, they aren't super great if you're not gonna have other people around.

But as it's already been stated, any class can be effective alone if you're good enough with it. It's mostly a matter of which class you enjoy playing.
  10. Maphreal

I second HA as a good option if you just like to hop on, get some frags, and log off. I'm too busy and curmudgeonly to be making lots of friends in my short fragfests, so I usually solo as a HA, sometimes a LA and a smattering of Lightning engi.

When I got some friends over or when I play with my step-son, I usually go Harasser. The Harasser is a blast with a couple of friends.
  11. Crayv

Generally, play what is needed. If you attacking/defending a base and you notice a lack of medics, go medic. If the classes are fairly balanced, play what you want. Though the LA class is great for lone/small squad play as it gives you more flanking options and Planetside 2 is a flanking/ambush game.

If locked down at a base that has lots of air, fall back a base and pull a Skyguard (suggestion: use mines to give you an escape route in case any tanks try to chase you down). If with a large group of vehicles try being a ammo/repair Sundy. Even alone a repair or ammo sundy can greatly compliment a vehicle zerg, same goes for a well placed AMS (please make sure it has the shield or at least armor on it though).

For a small squad, more of the same but you have a few more options available to you like using Beacons and Gal/Valk spawning. It also amplifies the power of going Light Assault and trying to flank the enemy.
  12. Mythologicus

MBT can work solo, though this tends to depend on faction and cert investment. I occasionally run out alone in an AP/Saron Magrider and seat-swap when necessary. For the other factions (which have stronger MBTs for tank vs. tank) you can run AP/Ranger or Walker and swap to the second seat to ward off attacking air.

For infantry combat, the two assault classes, Infiltrator or Medic are the way to go solo (though the Medic has ammunition troubles depending on weapon). Heavy Assault tends to be better for killing infantry or helping out with vehicle kills, as generally you won't have enough launcher ammo to go hunting vehicles by yourself unless you invest in C4. Light Assault is most likely THE best lone-wolfer, as they rely almost entirely on flanking and attacking from unexpected angles. Similar deal for Infiltrators.

In a small squad, if you grab a MAX and play carefully with some Engineer support you can really do some serious damage. Otherwise Medic to keep everyone going, Heavy Assault to take the blows and push, Light Assault to distract and harass. For vehicles...you just have to try the Harasser. It's not particularly effective at anything until you can figure out how to drive places without dying spectacularly, but boy is it fun(ny).

I could suggest Engineer for small-squad play, but I can't vouch for it. Setting up a turret somewhere and using a battle rifle (laugh if you want, but they're not bad weapons) can do some decent damage to enemy infantry. And if you want to fork out the certs for the AV turret, you can do decent damage to everything, especially if you also have mines and sticky grenades.
  13. DatVanuMan

HEAVY.
    I SAID HEAVY.
    DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND????
    I. SAID. HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. Tuco

I lonewolf and use every class and every vehicle except air/harrasser. Use whatever fits the situation.
  15. LibertyRevolution

Solo? Heavy Assault.
    Teamplay? Play what the team needs.
    • Up x 1
  16. andy_m

I agree with this, and pretty much fits around what I do mainly (although I do vary my playstyle a bit more lately).

I tend to operate around a terminal. If I'm defending then it's a spawn room terminal, or an external terminal if available. If I'm attacking then I'll use what ever Sunderer is available, or a hacked external base terminal.

I will then switch back and forth between my two favourite classes (Infiltrator & MAX) depending on how things are going. If needs be I will also use Engi/Medic as required, providing I'm not losing out on Nanites to quickly pull another MAX.

I even pull a Heavy from time to time, but only if I feel I can effectively use a rocket launcher. Even with a Heavy "iWin" shield I suck at close quarters and will lose most 1v1 fights.

The only class I rarely ever pull is LA. And the only times I have gone LA is to get to a spawn beacon in a tree. Once that job is done I'm straight back to one of the other classes.

All of the above is done as a "Lone Wolf." Even if I am in a squad I generally do my own thing, unless a good squad leader is in charge, in which case I will do my best to follow his directions. Sometimes I will be asked to do something which I am really bad at and so it's up to the SL to either direct me otherwise or kick me from the squad.

More on the MAX: If I am never sure of getting Engineer support I have a duplicate set of loadouts (AI/AA/AV) that utilise regen shield. That does have obvious risks, and I have been caught out. One way of dealing with this is to pull an AV max, for instance, with FLAK first, and if you get damage, retire to the safety of spawn and switch to a loadout with regen. Sometimes a passing Engi will top up your health/shield.

I can't add anything to vehicles or air because I play Infantry pretty much exclusively and have to rely on others for transport...
  17. Aeravic

Medic is the best class to lone wolf with imo.

For solo play, best infantry weapons, self heal and C4 to deal with MAXes and vehicles.

When playing with other players, the ability to keep other players alive turns any normal assault into a significant one. Not to mention, for your resurrected minions, low BRs function very well as bullet shields while BR100s can put out serious damage on enemies. Both serve to prolong your own life even further.
  18. Ownasaurusrex

esf
  19. TommyXXL

infiltrator stalker headshotting players when they access a terminal or

DIS IS A BIG MMO GAYME AD U SHULD PLAY IN BEG SQUD IF U DUNT U SHULD GO PLAY FARMVILLE
  20. SerasVic

there is no better class to lone wolf since in this game you are (almost) NEVER ALONE.

yes it's not your friends, yes they are not on teamspeak. But you can still revives/ heals / repair them you know?
    In a battle, friend or not, nothing changes.

Only difference 'ld be some "combos" like max + engi or 2-3 lock on heavys.