Best Weapon for the TR Light Assault? [NO SHOTGUNS PLS]

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Luminiouscow, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Luminiouscow

I've been playing a LOT of light assault lately and I've mastered the ways of teamplay with that class. I unlocked smoke grenades, C4 2 bricks, etc for the class.

The problem though is that I don't know which gun will help me help my teammates in engagements.

After making numerous posts asking, "Which is better, the _____ or ______?", "Which one is truly superior for most combat scenarios, the _______ or ________?", etc, I realized that that is not the effective way to ask a question to the community about which gun is better suited for me.

So I'll give you some of my background info.

I have a SUCKY computer and struggle at laying down consistent fire at range in a LARGE battle (not a small one). I prefer to go aggressive, as it actually gives me better frames.

I love the idea of hit, scare, track, and kill.

I like high-fire rate weapons, but I can use low fire rate weapons as long as they're good at CQC - Mid Range (Like bandit, etc)

I want the gun which is best paired with the HS/NV scope (I use smoke grenades).
  2. Luminiouscow

SMGs can count also.
  3. LT_Latency

Jaguar
    • Up x 2
  4. LibertyRevolution

↑ This.

Do you have an issue with jag? If so what is it? It would help us recommend a gun without that trait.

I use 2 carbines on my TR light assault, the Jaguar and the T5-AMC.
    Am I going to do tree or rooftop ranged work? Then I bring the T5-AMC, if not then I use the Jaguar.
  5. NXR1

TR has really bad carbines but yeah jaguar is the best
  6. MrEpicHeroGuy

For closer ranges you could go with the Hailstorm, kitted with IRNV, Advanced Laser, Soft Point Ammo. If not that, I would highly recommend the Jaguar for its .75 ads movement speed, kitted with IRNV and Advanced Laser. For close-ish to mid range, I can recommend the Lynx, as it has a very high rate of fire coupled with extreme accuracy because of its rightward pull. Kit it out with your IRNV and Foregrip (I use it with Soft Point Ammo, but you can switch it off/on whenever you feel its necessary).

Hope this helped.
  7. Luminiouscow

I have the Jaguar. Decent gun BUT BUT.....

It underperforms in most HEAD ON cqc engagements. The enemy usually has a gun like the gd7-f, serpent, vx6-7, etc in these engagements.

Also, I dislike the look of the jaguar.
  8. Yeahy

If you find youself in aggressive cqc engagements, use something like the lynx or an smg with good hipfire.

Camo is your best friend.
  9. LibertyRevolution

First off, if you are a light assault, you will lose most HEAD ON cqc engagements.. Your goal is to flank and kill by surprise.

If you are losing a 1v1 to another LA point blank when they have a GD-7F/serpent...
    I really have to wonder why you are in that predicament in the first place, you should have engaged him out at 20m.
    Did they get the drop on you? Well then yeah you should lose.. Did you rush into a room? That's not your job, that's a Heavy.

If you cannot control your distance to the enemy, or you want to run head on into a fight, then you should be playing heavy assault.

The LA counter to GD-7F/Serpent point blank engagement is a nighthawk with extended mags.. but you said no shotguns.
    An autoshotgun levels any CQC playing field. :p
  10. Yeahy

Why no shotguns though?
  11. Luminiouscow

I'm very very very bad with them.
    • Up x 1
  12. LT_Latency

Shot guns are easy. You just find a place with levels. Then just jump up or down one at a time. If you see an easy kill stop and get them.....If it to dangerous drop down or keep going up.

Repeat.

You just always want to switch engagements vertically so you start the fight right beside them. Most players don't look up and down much

The semis are better then the pumps for average use
  13. Lethal_Sting

Think most would agree TR carbines >>> TR smg's.

I wouldn't call them bad. I mean, I haven't played VS/NC in quite some time so my feel for their carbines has worn off. But I don't think TR carbines aren't off to their counterparts.

I enjoyed the default Trac-5 with HSNV, suppressor, and grip.
  14. Saber15

Why would you ever want to use the Failstorm?
  15. Chrispin

There's really nothing in the LA TR arsenal that sticks out as exceptional, but Jaguar for long ranges is the best we have
  16. StrongSideBlitz

You should go with the rhino... definitely a powerful weapon that is hard to counter. Even though there have been some to point out a few draw backs, those can be debated at a later time. Now is the time for the rhino!
  17. Halcyon

The Rhino is an LMG and the OP specifically asked for Light Assault weapons.
    • Up x 1
  18. MrEpicHeroGuy

Call it what you will, but it has a very large magazine size, .75 ads, great hipfire (better than the Armistice because of the advanced laser you'll be getting), and a very large ammo pool. In my opinion I like it better than the Armistice, because it allows me to mow down entire groups of people without stopping to reload or let the CoF settle down, plus I can stay in the fight for an extreme amount of time before I even need to go hunting down an ammo source. While the Armistice does have better fire rate, giving it higher theoretical dps, its CoF blooms out much more quickly than the Hailstorm which can pelt targets fairly far away and accurately, even hipfiring. It's really personal preference, but to me the Hailstorm has much more utility.
  19. Fellgnome

As others have noted Jaguar is the best/only good TR carbine, regardless of whatever personal issues you have with it, IIRC you've specifically asked for non-Jaguar options before. But there's nothing else notable in TR's carbine options, really, so you're going to get spammed with Jaguar suggestions every time you ask. We have nothing that quite competes with GD-7F or Serpent since they decided our best TTK option(Lynx) needed to be faction flavorized - resulting in a DPS reduction - rather than made competitive with VS/NC TTKs.

The only reason to use the failstorm is if you're just trying behind groups of people to spam into and try to get as many kills as possible before dying. It has worse accuracy, time to kill, damage over range over the jaguar and its hipfire isn't even that much better. Jaguar also has .75 ADS so this is not a notable failstorm advantage in this case. And honestly, damage per mag wise it isn't even that far ahead of the Jaguar. I would never use either TR SMG on a TR LA.
    • Up x 2
  20. Furluge

I have not cared for the Jag since it got nerfed. I personally prefer the cougar for longer to mid range and the lynx for close up ranges. The cougar tends to work best for me in all ranges though, just aim around the shoulders and lift your finger off the mouse for a moment every 3rd shot.

Yes I know it has a burst fire mode but I think that third shot is key.