Someone explain the logic of having the game's most powerful weapon on the liberator.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Angry Scientist, Sep 27, 2014.

1. z1967

At the very least the Harasser and Valk. Both require dedicated drivers with no weapons.
    • Up x 1
  2. Saber15

That's a poor line of reasoning at best. It's also capable of killing anything easily bar lone infantry. Might as well call it the MURDERTRON 9000.

But no, the Skygods need to be able to effortlessly attack an enemy vehicle, kill him, and fly behind a hill before the massed AA can kill him.
    If an enemy tank makes me angry, I just pull a Liberator and tankbust his booty. There's literally nothing he can do unless there's a garage nearby to hide in - and even then I can usually just drop down and tankbust him anyways. I can shrug off AA fire and even some tank main cannon fire as I'm murderizing him, and stand a good chance of surviving as I flee if it's only AA firing at me.
  3. LodeTria

I never said ESFs are easily to kill with the TB. I said "half of all air units" by which I mean other liberators & galaxys. The TB is way too good against those targets to never pick any other nosegun. At least if the TB was pants vs ALL air units some people might pick a buffed spur (which I would make much more effective Vs air units) other the do everything tank buster we have now.
  4. MykeMichail

You know I remember a time when everyone had just started unlocking Heavy Assault G2A launchers and had to have them equipped almost all the time.

Liberator pilots came to forums crying that lock-ons were OP because they literally couldn't fly into an area without having so many locks on them that a single volley could drop them.

Now I see people happily getting farmed on the ground like that Liberator overhead is a minor inconvenience.
  5. SerasVic

Tankburster is meh and Vektor is trash right?

Give my Valkyrie a Vektor then and don't complain later. (replacing the main gun)
  6. Champagon

I main MBT now, I used to be a dedicated pilot. Below is my experience

Getting Tank Busted
    • Sucks
    • Doesn't happen frequently enough to call for a direct nerf
    • Makes me rage

Why I rage
    • I can't hear them sneaking up on me
    • I can't aim high enough to defend myself
    • They hover in my "blind" spot making me defenseless
    • Nothing to do but wait and die
    What I want
    • Louder lib engines
    OR
    • Let the mag aim higher
    If I were to have either or of these options i would feel comfortable enough that if i got tank busted, i had a good reason to "get rekt" and that i deserved it.
  7. Jawarisin

A gun that can 1 shot anybodody withing 200m OMG OP. And for the record, I'm being sarcastic by pointing out something fundamentally broken. The only reason it's not so is that it is not easy to use, and you can't just hit all your shots.
  8. z1967

Well you could have picked a better culprit like the 3000+ DPS auto shotguns or the Orion (now 53% more trigonometry involved to say why it is OP!).

Its not really that hard to use. Some snipers often chalk up their play style as being hard or skilled. It takes maybe 50 kills to figure out how to use a certain BASR. The drop is negligible (for all rifles) unless you put on a supressor. The rifles are also all straight upgrades of each other. Refire rate hardly matters when you have 650 m/s bullets and little to no drop.
    • Up x 1
  9. Mjolnir

Libs are already incredibly loud. You can hear them from something like 500+ meters away, so if you don't hear then you just aren't listening.

The fact that most lib pilots use the tankbuster doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed, it just means it suits the preferred lib playstyle of most pilots. The vektor has its uses, like dedicated longer range air to air (since the tankbuster range is indredibly short). I don't think the spur really has a point and I am not sure why SOE introduced it instead of just making the vektor a mouselook gun, but that is an entirely separate issue.

To all the people here whining about getting killed by the tankbuster: I challenge you to actually try to use it and see how quickly you die (probably to another lib). The Tankbuster is only good at killing you because you don't have any situational awareness and the pilot knows what they are doing. It isn't a magical one hit kill aimbot weapon. It has a long reload, a very short range, lots of spread, high damage dropoff, extremely low bullet velocity, and requires a TON of certs to actually be decent. Chances are the people killing you have over 2000 certs into their tankbuster, since it is nearly impossible (it might not be possible at all, I can't remember) to oneclip a tank with the stock mag size).
  10. Champagon

From my experience getting tank busted by them with a 5.1 stereo system AND i tried to hear them via headphones. I heard nothing.

Sure noticed them AFTER they tank busted me though lol
  11. Mjolnir

If I can hear an enemy lib over the noise of my own lib, then you should be able to hear them over the sound of your tank. The issue is that a lot of people don't play with headphones, so they can't tell lib sounds from the background. If you use good headphones and virtual surround sound you should be able to hear them quite a ways away, since their sound radius is huge now.
  12. Jawarisin

Ok, I dare you to post a video of you getting 5 kills back to back with a cqc BASR. All kills must be within 10-15 meters and be done with said weapon.
    Good luck.
  13. z1967

I said you (as in a user of the CQC BASR) can get 5 (potential) kills per magazine, not that I can. Aside from that I was talking about intended use, at the 100m-300m (from TSAR to RAMS in terms of range) instead of the other use of CQC sniping. This may have not been indicated clearly enough, but it was why I brought up velocity and drop.
  14. a-koo-chee-moya

I love how people always neglect the other factors. TB for Harassar would essentially be an insanely buffed Vulcan, meh on Valk due to how squishy it is, and well, wraith cloak + TB anyone? I thought not.
    As for the post you are quoting, its obviously an exaggeration. TB is not worth it outside of 100m
  15. Yeahy

Well if you're talking about TB and Spur, its only natural that you factor in the 3rd weapon.
  16. Pikachu

Because liberator kills the least of all things in the game? Is the least threatening thing? How often do you see a tank kill and tank compared to a liberator kill a tank? I see liberators kill ground vehicles like once every 3rd day.
  17. Yeahy

Why do people compare lib weapons to other vehicle weapons?
    Put an esf nose gun on the tail of a lib and see what happens. Buff harasser weapons to mbt equivalents and see what happens.
    A lib is a gunship. It is designed to kill tanks. Just because its weapons are better at killing tanks doesn't mean that your valk and your harasser get it too. Harassers have more evasiveness than lib will ever dream of. Valk was designed to be a TRANSPORT vehicle. That's why you can spawn people into it and it has rumble seats. Give that to a lib. See what happens.

TB is crap against enemy libs. You have to take into account that they can tank bust you too. More often than not they can get a solid tank bust on you and finish you with a belly gun. Plus dalton ttk is something like 2.2 seconds on an enemy lib and infinite on a esf. At the ranges you could effectively tank bust, a dalton would be faster and more effective. Plus who likes TB montages?
  18. z1967

I am a tank, I can close the gap. Won't be too difficult with Stealth and some flanking.

Aside from that, the Harasser was OP because of how tanky it was and still had the firepower of the MBTs. With TB, we get the forward gimbal lock (we are slapping TB on things, what did you expect) and the need for a gunner and a pilot to opperate it (because it is a harasser). It would be fairly balanced, if not UP.
    • Up x 1
  19. Mjolnir

No, the tankbuster is insanely effective against libs. I would say near 50% of the enemy libs I kill are with a single tankbuster clip, because most lib pilots just hover in one place because they have no idea what they are doing. I mostly solo lib nowadays, so if I don't oneclip them I have to do the annoying seat swap and dalton them, which is sometimes risky.
  20. a-koo-chee-moya

Oh, you mean versus armor, It would be kinda fun to see, but would probably be totally UP due to tanks using it having to get too close to armor which is generally close to defending infantry.
    ? All harasser weapons need 2 men to operate them. The main problem with Liberator is how obvious you are. The sky is empty, so you are easily spotted. Harassers, however, are much faster, and can use terrain to their advantage much more easily. There's a reason everyone hates Vulcan for Prowler and uses Halberd but uses Vulcan on Harasser.